[Mod] Reign of Terror

Okay, got it, thanks!

I want to make a comment about defense in Hell. I hadnā€™t really done alot with my paladin until I tried to take out the Countess. She was my reality check in Act 1 Hell. Sheā€™d kill me INSTANTLY. I had 10k health and good resistance on elements (fire was -10% from max but the rest were over max) and I had 60% poison resist and fair bleed and vitality but everything else was deeply lacking. Pierce was -30 since spell casters donā€™t naturally inherit that trait without getting really great items.

Iā€™d saved alot of varied items not knowing what Iā€™d need in the future, so it was a quick repair that got me past her BARELY and only with exploiting the AI as sheā€™d chase me all through the level so I simply exited whenever after 3-5 seconds I got low. I had near max chaos that was at about 3% when I first encountered her.

After that I went to bed as I was passing out, Iā€™d been trying so hard to do something I had died 20 times just trying to get to another part of the level and retrieving my corpse, LOL. Iā€™d lost track of time.

Today I just capped ALL resistances except a few minor issues with Magic resistance and one other. It was relatively easy as long as I was willing to give up +damage bonuses. My damage went down a fair amount but I kept the basic magic rings/medal that gave me +3 to my attack skill Fist of The Heavens, as those items vastly increased my damage output far beyond any other items Iā€™ve ever had.

Even with 2 jewelry slots for damage only, the rest of my gear was PLENTY to max all resists without even using optimal resist gear, since I have sorceress/paladin that gives alot from skills. I increased my health with THREE jewelry/armor slots and even used my extra enchant from vendors to several more sets of 3% health. I was serious about trying out defense and wanted to do it right.

END RESULT:

Having good resistances, now at 11.6k health after removing 4 damage points on my devotion points as well, I tried out a simple area that was ABSOLUTELY HELL for me in the Black Marsh. The way it was initially was that those corrupted rogues with ranged attacks (donā€™t remember their names, they appear to be undead in the original game), theyā€™d kill me easily unless I was an absolute master. In fact, Iā€™m good at action games and so if thereā€™s even a chance, Iā€™m always progressing.

Now those can be attacking but they do less damage and are more in line with other enemy types, probably because I have +100% or so pierce resistance.

Greater defense allows you to act the same as before, but you have a bit more ability to stay alive. Thatā€™s it! I died 3 times when first entering the area as my Holy Shock attracts nearby monsters, and if I didnā€™t play as well as before that attributed to several deaths along with being overwhelmed from too intense aggro, Iā€™d die just as easily as before as I tested my defenses.

So you could say defense/resistances is mandatory, but you can also get really far if you are low on one or another until you reach a critical need and then it may be totally undoable without a summons build that can 100% aggro other minions due to such overwhelming numbers and damage (takes along time to achieve that and for along time boss monsters would simply take me out, and itā€™s only 100% on single bosses).

So from my perspective, the shield I gave my Paladin from the sorceress skill tree that stops many minions cold (haha, but not all of them) is a greater benefit overall than anything else. So picking the right skills is essential as much as the normal thing a person goes through regardless of the character they play based upon my description above.

You canā€™t rely on defense to keep you alive, it merely adds to your survivability if you are rather intense in your ability to dodge and engage enemies intelligently.

Sorry for how wordy that is, that was too long of an end result, LOL. Kept thinking of more details I wanted to clarify. This game is a bit complicated but also much simpler than former ARPGā€™s with tools right in front of you that are easy to use (Both the base game and this mod).

grim dawn new version released, will it affect the mod?

Havent had any reports so far. Judging by the patch notes, very little, if anything at all, should change.

is farming sr 90 at normal ok? is there any different in hell?

farming uber is still too hard for me, took too long to kill them.

just updated to gd 1.1.9.0 , the mod is working fine so far.

Farm anywhere you want. SR in Hell is slightly more difficult, but most people donā€™t have much problems with it. I think you get sightly more exp and loot as well, but not 100% certain on that.

I am playing a just for fun build with retaliation just to see if it will work, with no real expectations. Iā€™m using the Sorceress armor skills as a base. I went to my main Paladin and it shows when adding elemental damage the retaliation doesnā€™t increase. So I assumed it had to be retaliation damage on the passive tree that would boost it, as itā€™s not normal cold damage.

Now at level 12 I got a devotion point for retaliation damage and it shows no increase with that either. Is this a display bug? What types of bonuses will boost my armor? I want to do as much damage as I can with it. Iā€™m playing Paladin as it has alot of retaliation damage bonuses.

Iā€™m now realizing that because the armor itself has built in retaliation % increase, that means it must be working. So the question is, if I use cold mastery, will that work? I know it will work for the ice bolts when I get those, as I donā€™t think that is retaliation damage officially.

Will cold mastery work with retaliation damage?

EDIT: As you can see I answered one of my own questions above. The issue about whether or not cold damage can apply was seen in the retaliation section in the details of my character page. Adding points to my passive tree increases retaliation damage, but increasing cold damage does nothing for the shiver aspect of the armor.

put a maI rune into your gear and u start every boss fight at 20% hp

With 99% block chance, close to 3000 damage blocked and 100% recovery you can pretty much entirely rely on your defense for survival. Couple that with 85% resists and maybe some evades and you become almost unkillable, even when not moving. Thatā€™s why I did like the Brutalix encounter more than the others, because the ground effects still got through your defenses. So unless you have one of those broken 10 sec kill builds, you have to move around in that fight. I think that in an arpg you should never be able to create a char which can mitigate almost 100% of the incoming damage. It just turns every encounter into a dull affair and makes stacking defense mandatory for every non-minion build.

I really hate the whole hp reduction mechanic, in my opinion itā€™s just a cheese that allows you to partially neuter content. I never liked it in any game and would rather not use it in my builds. Still, thank you for the suggestion.

Thatā€™s also the reason why I dislike (overtuned) regen in general. It rewards you for equipping a single item with prevent monster heal and not for good gameplay. I tried using Cleansing Waters on those mobs and not even that was able to remove the regen. Itā€™s just these type of things that I feel are not up to par with modern games, where you pretty much always have several ways to tackle a certain challenge. Here itā€™s just the choice between a broken build or being stuck with the mechanic.

So in other words, you didnā€™t totally rely on defense? :wink:

Or are you saying most encounters were terribly easy? I thought you were saying above your defense wasnā€™t strong enough.

I died quite a few times on my paladin during leveling, but when I stopped playing he was very hard to kill indeed. I could afk next to hell act bosses and also some of the hidden ubers and most of those wouldnā€™t be able to kill me even after several minutes. My damage was and still is the problem and thatā€™s why I stopped for the time being, because gear progress felt just way too slow.

does rainbow facet change the resistance reduction in devotion skill?

for example the devotion skill elemental storm does elemental damage, burn, frost burn and electrocute, and reduce targetā€™s elemental resistance. let say i use 4 facets to convert 100% elemental to physical, when the skill proc, the elemental damage itself will be converted? and burn, frostburn, electrocute will convert to internal trauma? and the elemental resistance reduction becomes physical resistance reduction?

or only the first raw damage get converted?

the devotion skill assassinsā€™ mark has -32% physical resistance and -32% pierce resistance, if use 4 facets to convert 100% physical to pierce, does it mean stack both and becomes -64% pierce resistance?

for the pet effect let say skeletal mage has fire/frost/electric/poison type, if use 4 facets to convert 100% elemental to physical, any mage with fire/frost/electric with all do physical damage? but poison type will still remain poison?

elementaI to physicaI conversion wiII aIso convert burn, frostburn an eIectrocute into trauma : correct
resistance reduction wiII not be converted.
not sure about conversion on pets since they use their own damage.

Next patch youā€™ll see some changes to this skill line.

Risky to bet on. Works for now though.

But itā€™s very D2 :wink: Globablly crushing blow (% health damage) will see some adjustments to really make it a nice addition to have, but no longer something to fully rely on.

Becoming (almost) un-killable should be possible if people wish. Trade-off however should be that you deal no damage and make it a slow dull experience for yourself. If you are unkillablle, but can kill, that it turns into a problem imo (as is with CB atm).

The damage absorb during regen buff will be lowered from 70% to 40%, so if your damage is decent, youā€™ll kill them despite their regen. If your damage is low, youā€™ll have to wait it out or use the prevent monster heal items.

No. Only Flat damage gets converted. And you can convert only once. So, for example, first convert your 100 flat physical damage to fire damage. Then apply %fire damage. You cannot convert physical to fire and then fire to pierce again.

Exactly. Theyā€™ll deal poison + physical in this case. (Pro-tip: convert all elemental to poison damage for a pet build, there are a lot of items to support a poison-pet build)

Hey excellent. Iā€™ll just keep playing and will make the adjustments when itā€™s re-imagined and then give my input if needed. This is FUN! But itā€™s difficult early on, as I donā€™t have good attack for ranged just yet, LOL. 1 point in sacrifice. By level 15 or so it should stabilize if taking hits doesnā€™t simply kill me. Such a dangerous build, LOL!

Strangely the fire mage guys near the end of act 1 starting after the Marsh, they increase your attack speed until after youā€™ve killed them. I find it strange a monster type would buff my skills. Intended?

EDIT: Strong possibility the lightening ones do it as well. Not sure, as a bit further down in Jail level 2 there was a fire one with it.

EDIT 2: I may be receiving attack speed bonuses from Dark Shamanā€™s as well, summoners that raise imps and shoot fireballs. Encountered one just entering the Cathedral before you kill that poison boss.

EDIT 3: Having said that Grim Dawn doesnā€™t seem to always run real time and will naturally speed up and slow down. The Titan Quest engine would do this, however speeding up in combat makes no sense and proves itā€™s not hardware slowdown since combat should be harder to maintain a solid framerate as opposed to not being in combat, and it would instead slow down instead of speed up. This was the first time I could isolate it to particular batches of monsters. Iā€™ve not played base GD with Grimarillion since I upgraded to a much better system. I did play it when I got a 1080 on the old system with a new monitor.

You run faster as well, itā€™s not just attack speed. And I remember it happening frequently with my spell/summon characters, and just had no idea what was going on.

EDIT 4: Verified the speed up/slow down in town from having settings way too high, that is hardware slow down, only affects my run speed and not at all my attack speed. I simply just hit SHIFT and attacked nothing in town to verify, LOL.

what is the total number of attribute and skill point at level 100 hell?

i am not sure if i have cover all type of quests that give stats. devotion is at 81 now so i guess it should be fine.

Iā€™d guess 313 skill points if thereā€™s 2 quests that give an extra 3 times each. If there are more, itā€™s greater.

300-3 to count out level 1.

+10 to account for 4 points after level 90 instead of 3 (a bit like Requiem of Sorrow in that regard).

+6 for 2 quests.

No idea about attribute points.

I wanted to report the interesting, even fascinating mechanic of the Sorceress armor options. It appears, once I got used to the skill and figured out what was going on, that the ice bolts often trigger from melee when other attacks like bleed and poison are nearby. Itā€™s amazingly awesome and not OP as it takes along time to clear a room when only using this skill with no active attack skill. Oh sure, I intend to make this build active, but I LOVED the concept of using armor as offense. Andariel was difficult as usual, but leveling up got her eventually, as usual. I know sheā€™s going to be tweaked.

Otherwise the sorceress skill works great and itā€™s a total blast. I removed Sacrifice completely as itā€™s damage was insignificant, so now I literally just stand there. Sewers level 2 is rough, I may not last much longer, LOL.

I hope the tweaks to it make it more awesome soon.

81 devotion points,
~321 skill points (4 from quests per dficculty, ) (i think, iā€™m not sure how much you get from doing SR (at least one, maybe more?)

3 quests which grant 4 skill points per difficulty (den of evil +1, sewers +1, izual +2), so 12 in total.

115 i think (99 from leveling, 15 from quests, 1 from SR? again, not sure on how much SR grants).

It will.