My honest as fuck opinion about GD and comparison to TQ

This thread is full of me, so if you’re under 18, don’t read.

I’ve been playing TQ for years, before GD, then switched to GD somewhere in 2017, right now I have 639 hours in GD, dunno how much in TQ, maybe twice or thrice the amount. I’m excluding Ragnarok here, because oh fuck please fucking no…

In my opinion, GD is a very good game, no doubt about that. The game has issues, though, for few/many/most (choose one) people, I mean every game has.

The thing I like about GD is the combat, which is not hard, not easy, but has many surprises that mostly kill players. Character development is advanced, we can focus on one skill and make many builds around that one skill, which still will be unique, thanks to damage conversion, skill modifiers and not only that. The aesthetics in the game are on a high level, it’s nice to look at monsters, effects, areas and everything because they’re well made. Visually, the game is very good, maybe even on the same level (or maybe higher) than TQ back in the day.
In comparison to TQ, only the combat has major as fuck differences. TQ is kinda slow and with some builds boring, has less character development stuff but still plays ok/nicely.

The story in the game, the main quest etc, is super old and tedious as fuck. Game areas are the same, as everything is about “apocalypse” and zombie invasion (where zombies are aetherials, then ch’thonians take care about it later on, to then let aetherials strike again). Areas look boring, because they are mostly devastated or look took dark (yes that’s the GD theme). The only areas I actually like are deserts, snowy areas, and Ugdenbog forests (not all). Oh, I like Malmouth City too. The story never kicked in when I played the game. I didn’t feel anything when playing the game for the first time, I only felt like I gotta fix the shit aetherials are doing, but then, suddenly, ch’thonians kicked in and I was like “wait, what?”, but that’s okay, it’s a funny and nice story-kick. The thing I really hated, and almost made me wanna quit the game, was Loghorrean. I had no issues with him, never died etc, the main issue was after killing it. It died, ok, I am done in this place. But wait, quests are over, there’s nothing to do anymore, did I finish the game or wtf? That moment made me wanna uninstall, like literally, but my brother said “keep playing, maybe there’ll be other cool stuff like TQ had”, so I kept on playing, discovered the advanced combat, nemesis, devotions logic and it sucked me in, but whenever I thought about the story, I’ve exited the game, that’s how I disliked it.
In comparison to TQ, the story kicked in no matter what the fuck you did, you just looked at a trader’s face, but wait a minute, I am on the Silk Road, I’m on my way to the deeps of China, finding out the secrets of the mythology, awesome monsters and other cool stuff. GD is like, oh, yeah, I’m going now there to fix the situation there, yay. O, maybe there’ll be a cool boss.

“Side stuff”:
TQ had no devotion system, which is SOMETIMES! a nice plus for GD. I’ve said sometimes because it gets boring to see so many effects on the screen or stat overload, which then gets balanced on max level.

Damage scaling is also terrible in GD. In TQ, we did have some small % damage bonuses, but our damage mostly scaled with our strength, dexterity or intelligence. Not only we needed them to equip gear, but we had to choose wisely what damage type we want to focus on if we played a half-half damage type character (for example, physical and vitality). GD just doesn’t care, here, get physique, if you lack spirit or cunning to equip something, just add it somehow and it’s done. Stats in GD just don’t have ANY impact on your character, aside of physique, which is the only impactful stat. If GD had the same idea of damage that TQ had, I’d enjoy it way more.

Crafting system is also better in TQ, because you cannot do anything aside of artifacts and this is why you know this paragraph is just a joke to say that GD has way fucking better crafting. Component system also goes to GD, although I really loved the completion bonuses in TQ.

Another slight stuff is gear requirement, which is not impactful at most, but still kinda is. GD has physique only requirements for armors, you see spirit there sometimes, but you don’t generally pick a robe for a fighter, so we can exclude spirit as a requirement there, I’ll tell more about it a tad later on. In TQ, we had tank, fighter (assassin) and mage armors, which required us to get either strength, dexterity or intelligence to equip them. In GD, if we play a fighter (or assassin), we go for physique, and sometimes a touch of cunning to wield a weapon we want. If we go with a caster build, where we mostly use an off-hand, we just pick spirit to equip that off-hand, and this is why spirit requirements don’t exist in armors, even when we see them. And if we don’t go for an off-hand, we still gonna only put a point or two to get that armor, or just find another, better one. So, if I had to choose, TQ has better requirement system.

Additional monsters unlocked on each difficulty. You know GD has nothing like that, TQ has. I LOVE this feature, sadly, GD hates it.

I believe that’s everything. In general, I like TQ more than GD, but GD has way better combat. I don’t hate on GD here.

But that just makes sense. And besides, that assumes you pick caster or melee as permanent choice at the start, which of course means your gear will align with your stats; but GD allows caster/melee/hybrid with all classes and you do need to ensure you get the right stats for end game to wear the appropriate gear…

Additional monsters unlocked on each difficulty. You know GD has nothing like that, TQ has. I LOVE this feature, sadly, GD hates it.

I think GD does it well actually, in that some unique monsters don’t appear until later difficulties (faction rep unlocks, etc), but all the common ones are there.

Aside that, I wasn’t particularly grabbed by the main GD storyline initially, but those little notes of small personal moments are fantastic and do make the world have ‘feeling.’

Plus GD is a game that rewards investment: the more you play the more you learn the mechanics, the details, the secrets and the more the story all comes together, it’s a slow burner imo…

Additonal monsters unlocked on each difficulty in TQIT. Well, yes. Talos, Manticore and Bone Dragon in Epic and Hydra in Legendary. A grand total of - 4. Compare that number to how many Nemsis spawns GD has - 6 not counting AoM and 9 if you include the secret ones.

https://grimdawn.gamepedia.com/Creatures#Nemesis_Bosses

Okay, they’re not tied to difficulty, but to faction rep, but so what?

I still slightly prefer the TQIT setting over GD’s, but they’re totally different settings anyway and I wouldn’t expect GD to be bright and lively. It’s not that kind of world. Also, if you think about it, GD is more true to its setting; TQIT has all these foes running around presumably destroying stuff and what do you see in game? Apart from a few fires here and there, no destruction whatsoever. There are foes to fight inside Athens, Rhatokis, Chang’an and yet not a toppled building anywhere.

I also like that I can reach max level in GD without having to grind FOREVER as is required in TQIT. I finish a straight playthough of TQIT around L60-61 which is way off of it’s cap of 75. Levelling overall is quicker in GD and I’m not talking using XP potions to do it.

I love both games, been playing TQIT ever since I installed it 10 years ago now and the same for GD since early access. Each has their good points and bad, each is different in their own way - and I wouldn’t want that to change.

Just play Titan Quest then I guess?

I do. But I play GD too. Also, stop hating. :cry:

No hate bro just a question with all love and homo erotic intentions

To me the best thing TQ has is the mods but GD has that too, just not as fully ‘matured’ in that sense as TQ’s mod scene. Other than that, GD all the way on most counts.

Personally, the story and scenery is the entire reason why I am even playing GD. Have never played TQ, so can’t compare with it. But, being a veteran of Diablo, GD fills the void in my heart which should have been D3’s job.

The only gripe I have is that I can’t go on a murder spree, killing everything in sight. Divinity: OS2 spoiled me there :o

There is also how your choices are permanent until the next difficulty. And some minor things like Issiah’s daughter who for some reason ran off into a monster infested wilderness, leaving her father to die to poop volcanoes before eventually succumbing to the same fate.

And modding is still going strong for TQ powbam. :smiley:

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=161.0

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=150.0

That doesn’t include Bumbleguppy’s Legion of Champions v2 mod either which is in a separate section of the forum.

Our modders are going crazy.

Things better in TQ than GD for me:

• Music. It’s not that music in GD worse, there are just not enough tracks
  • Day-night transition. I still think it looks very beatiful.
  • Nature mastery

This thread is good because it will make GD much better. and FG will make GD much better . TQ is a good game no doubt but GD wins for me. Sadly Titan Quest is kind of damaged and ruined now since Ragnarok came and it has become the worst thing to happen to the game:p

I like Grim Dawn more. TQ did not do Paladin that much of justice.:frowning:

That’s good. I knew of the forum but I haven’t checked to see what all is going on with it. Still, always a plus that even after all these years people are still modding away for it.

Also, I suppose the other thing TQ has going for it is… without TQ there’d be no GD. That’s a pretty strong point methinks :smiley:

Honestly, what I miss more than anything else when going back to TQ is the lack of procs. I like fancy effects flying out of my character on a regular basis, dammit. :stuck_out_tongue:

It makes loot less interesting as well - for the most part, epics and legendaries in TQ really just feel like dull stat sticks. They rarely have any of the fun effects GD’s do, so whenever I find one its less “ooh” and more “oh”. At least said stats in TQ had some pretty damn high numbers on them at times. This helm has how much casting speed on it?!

At least with FG we’ll get a take on ‘Egypt’ that doesn’t consist primarily of shit level design. Come at me.

That’s definitely true!

USER_NAME_01 https://steamcommunity.com/app/219990/discussions/0/1748980761809295813/

Grim Dawn has two exclusive bosses in Ultimate, so it doesn’t hate that.

And the crafting in Titan Quest is godawful. Want to craft that artifact again? Well, get the blueprint again and not just you want to craft, the blueprints for the other artifacts that you need to craft for the one you actually want to craft. So much fun.

i kinda feel the same. GD is a better h’n’s than TQIT, as it took the magic formula and enhanced it in so many ways, but it has never reached the level of feelings i had when playing TQ. especially early game when TQ gives you that impression of being on the rise of a big adventure, when in GD the start of the game is kinda boring imo.

but that doesn’t mean GD is a bad game by any means, it’s terribly fun (and way funniest than TQIT), more dynamic, balance and character developement are way more sophisticated than TQIT.

that’s why i love both games and played both for a ton of hours (and in case of GD, i plan in continuing to do so;))

1 Like

Here interesting artice about the beggining of the TQ - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/03/i-seem-to-be-having-trouble-starting-titan-quest/

P.S. That feeling when your post was last at the previouse page and noone seen it ;(

You only used on four-letter cuss word in the title. I don’t believe your sincerity. :smiley:

GD has leveling potions, where are they.

Also GD is dark.

XP potions can be obtained via some AoM quests and also from the Malmout Resistance faction I believe.

Edit: Brain failure on my part again. TQ doesn’t have them, but it does have items that give +1 to all skills, some that give +2 to all skills and one that gives +3 to all skills.