New Forum Feedback

Lots of people don’t like Trump and they’ve never met him either.

It’s very easy to criticize someone when they blog about themselves for over a decade. Don’t take my word for it though, there are plenty of people out there that have actually gone into detail about this (several as a result of interacting with him directly) and they’re just a google search away.

Edit: That said it’s much less stressful to just pretend he doesn’t exist and criticize Discourse specifically, since that’s actually what we’re dealing with on the forums now.

Personally I have my fingers crossed that some sort of paginated alternative (via plugins, external scripts, or whatever) pops up.

Edit 2: I just browsed the forums with JS disabled for a bit and it actually does look like pagination is supported. It should be possible to write a script that nukes the infinite-scrolling and forces pagination without actually disabling JS globally. Getting more than just a next/previous page button would take some effort though.

Dunno, I actually like reading his blog from time to time. I find it insightful. I suspect that if you go writing critical/insulting replies to someone and you get slammed back for it that’s going to make people salty and turn them into haters, such as yourself I suspect. If he wants to write about topics concerning himself and related to himself my thinking is that’s his right. As they say, write about what you know.

And yes I imagine pagination is possible if they really wanted to do it. By all accounts the D3 forums are Discourse and paginated. That’s up to Crate and how they feel about it and if they really feel like putting any time into doing it. You can tell anyway simply by scrolling down from the top of a topic it eventually auto-loads in more replies as you go, bit-by-bit. This function alone implies that pagination is possible and that in a sense they are “kinda” paginated to begin with except it is simply auto-loading in more once you reach the load point.

On a personal level, I don’t much mind it at all and it’s easy enough to find whatever I’m looking for and ignoring people’s complaints about “infinite scrolling” it is clear that Discourse is vastly superior in nearly every way compared to what we had prior with vBulletin. The only real complaint I have with it is that I wish color/size controls were built directly into the editor by default.

It’s not really fair to compare something that was cutting edge in 2004 to software that didn’t even exist until 2013.

vBulletin5 isn’t half bad in terms of features (it’s a lot more reasonable to compare with Discourse than vBulletin3 at least) but we never got to see it in action here.

I’ve used a lot of different forum software over the years (as both an admin and as a user) and I like Invision Community the most personally. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty easy to adjust to your preferences. The Evernote Forums use it if you want to see a live example. Edit: Or you know: the actual official forums for Invision, not sure why I forgot about that.

Actually, we did, and it was so bad we rolled the forum back and lost several days of posts. Never touching vBulletin again.

Thank god you got a SSL certificate going. That was a HUGE security hole.

Thanks for the new forum.

No need to create new guides from scratch. Just need some time to update text formatting in existing ones like I done for this guide. :wink:

btw @Strannik, I was looking for your guide the other day, but could not find it with the forum search. I typed in Blacksmith completion bonus and it didn’t show up in the search results, although your guide contains all those words. Same when searching for blacksmith guide, your guide is nowhere to be seen in the results. Maybe you can fix this by adding these words as tags?

You mean this one?

Search Options for blacksmith completion and posted by Strannik.

Yes. I have bookmarked this guide a long time ago, I just wanted to point out that it doesn’t show in forum search results when searching for those words.

I know how to find his guide, but people who aren’t as involved in the community probably won’t even know the author’s name. They will just search for blacksmith completion bonus or blacksmith guide and won’t find anything useful.

I just want to give some feedback to help making this very useful guide more visible to the general public.

Yeah, it’s not so easy just using those words, though it does come up in the list - about number 13.

@medea_fleecestealer, are tags now available to mark threads to make it easy to search for?

Good point. Once I clarify tags support status on new forum I will try to add it.

Yes, there are tags. If you click on the three bars next to your user icon top right of the page you’ll see several different things in there, tags is one of them - bottom right. Click on that to see the tags and then just click on which ones you want to add.

1 Like

I see, thanks for information! :blush:

Added tags to the guide. Hope now it is easy to find the guide.

Looks like it worked, your thread is now #2 in the search results :+1:

I like the new functionality so far but I have to say there is one thing that is really bothering me and that’s the homepage. Like seriously what is this, you have categories with images that are so far off center then white space that serves no purpose. Then you got this huge space below that again is just white space. Half of the homepage has nothing in it. I just can’t get over it, it looks so awkward everytime I see it lol

Looks fine to me.
Can you provide a screenshot on how it looks on your behalf?

I might be color blind, but that ain’t white? It looks like gray to me.