New Forum Feedback

Yeah, so? The space below the Off Topic section isn’t empty btw. There are a couple of closed sections there available only to moderators/admin.

I am not a web designer, I am a humble teacher with phd in theoretial physical. I.e. just a regular nerd :slight_smile:

Well, that does not help the regular user and does not look that much better for us either.

This is second time I am seeing the homepage :smile:

I open by default latest comments, so you’re flexible in that department.

Well if the solution is to avoid the homepage then you know there is a problem with it. I actually do have my bookmark on the FG section for that very reason but even still bad links will send you to the homepage anyways so you can’t avoid it all the time

The old forum had more sticky threads which made threads like this much easier to find

Not really. The only sticky for that part of the forum is the one for trading thread links of which there are only two active as the others died so didn’t get included. It’s pretty difficult to miss now imho.

As a returning player, I find the old forum layout easier to navigate. Just my honest opinion. :thinking:

Oh gawd…
You just switched to this abomination that they also went to in WoW forum ?

Seriously, how anyone can find this useable is beyond me, each thread is just one atrocious single neverending dynamically-loaded serie of posts. I absolutely LOATHE it, it makes following any conversation impossible and navigation is horrible.

Also I’m using 16/9 widescreen at home, maybe this displays adequately on some portrait smartphone but as for me I have a whole HALF of the screen which is unused.

As you might have guessed, I downright despise this forum. It’s not about “getting used” to it (as said, World of Warcraft made the switch years ago, and it’s still as bad as the first day), it’s just about being objectively bad, clunky and hard to follow.

Meh, I guess I’ll just completely skip it from now on.

What’s your point? You, me, and half the PC internet browsing peoples of the world are likely using that ratio. Not seeing an issue here. Readability is the same as any other forum and within less than a day I had successfully adapted to a different style than I had been used to and navigation became a non-issue. I imagine the first time I ever used the previous style it took a similar amount of time to break myself in fully to that method as well.

Go take a closer look at forums similar to the old-style. You’ll find that the majority of screen real-estate isn’t in use there either. Pssssssst: it’s literally how forums are made! Even the “less modern” ones.

People with this complaint are essentially deluding themselves on this front hoping to add an extra “bullet-point” in their war on the unknown. I know because I looked and they are more or less the same with post real-estate.

:wave:

Me, too, and with zoom set to 120% in the browser it just looks right.

Don’t really see how it makes following the conversation more difficult. Yes, it scrolls, but you still have the same layout and answering system as before; it’s just not paginated. I wish we could have that too, but it doesn’t interfere with following anything. If you think this is bad try a discord channel and following that sometime. Makes this a piece of cake.

Btw two things, that want to add, which I find odd.

When I am on phone, when I click on topic sometimes it brings me to absolutely random page, not on top or bottom, not even on latest unread page.

Other thing is the replay button. You need to get on bottom on post to reply it. So if I want to add my build to the compendium, need to go all the way down. Build compendium isn’t discussion, so it’s not necessary to read all posts in order to write :smile:

Technically, you don’t actually have to go to the bottom on phone. I just checked. You can click ANY posts little reply button (that little reply arrow) nearest to you… click THAT posts reply button. Once your reply box pops up do this:

Done deal. Works the same on PC or mobile.

1 Like

Thanks !

That’s not something I even noticed, my bad :sweat:

It’s all good :smile: I’ve totally been neglecting finishing that “effective” forum thread of mine. I should really get back to that someday.

scrolling or even jumping to the bottom of the thread is pretty workable even on a tablet. Now, not being able to do between threads, in the categories, is a bigger problem.

How so tho? Take this “category” for example: Announcements and Information. I just click the orange button at the top of this thread under the title, go to it, and start scrolling down looking at thread titles. Literally like I would on the old forum. The only difference is that here when I get to the bottom of page 1 it automatically loads in page 2 for me while retaining page 1’s visibility.

If anything that’s actually a convenience for me over the old forum. About the only argument you could make against it is saying, “Well, what if I wanted to jump to page 4 to go to that thread I know is there?”. If you know what thread is currently living on page 4 then you know what that threads title is and search will get you there just as fast or faster.

That’s the only possible argument I could see tho having any viability and it isn’t even all that strong of an argument frankly.

Is there an option to unbound “ctrl+f” combo from the forum search? Cause i didn’t find it and it should be there. I want to be able to jump between words on the page, it’s a vital feature for any kind of browsing. Rn i have to manually press “search” in the browser options to do what i want, not what forums wants.

Hit Ctrl+F and then tap F a second time immediately after that and it will switch to the browser Find. Be warned tho that on large threads it ONLY sees what has loaded FULLY in currently. In a large thread Discourse does not automatically load in all replies and thus browser Find cannot see what is not loaded in yet.

Just use the forum search itself and make sure that this:

is ticked. Now search for whatever you’re looking for.