Pet Itemization: randomly affixed greens versus predictable uniques / sets

NOTE this is a split from my physical pet conjurer build :slight_smile: it kinda derailed…

What sensible person would NOT use greens? They exists, they drop, use them :smiley:

Like why would you NOT do an acid briar build using scorpious pummeler? Or fire skellies with korvaaks burning blades? Why limit yourself?

Play the game Maya, new patch is great and there is no “greenless” mafia here. Make the build you want! You are already GDstashing you said so go nuts! :smiley:

2 Likes

If only malawiglenn was here…

3 Likes

greens are awesome, and greens with “perfect”/double rare affixes even more so
but that doesn’t mean they “always” serve to boost a build or make it better than a “regular” build, as i’ve come to experience in my “how green can we go? :thinking: experimentation, apparently it all depends on the actual “utilization” of the green/affix :no_mouth: :man_shrugging:
but i do think after the mega MI update it’s well worth to consider or include MIs (possible even single “perfect” affixed), since they come with such awesome standard modifiers now, and most aren’t hard to farm

yeah exactly, MIs even have affix bias! It is not only that rare affixes have higher chance, the affixes you WANT have even HIGHER chance to drop.

Was he part of the “no green paradigm” as well? I don’t really know what this forum is about, some post obviously GD stashed builds and get applauded and now when I use some MIs that I actually dropped in game it is like “it does not count”?

Like already in my “welcome” thread the second post said “we don’t like greens here” Hello world of Cairn
But even that dude, in I think 95% of all his builds he uses greens himself so :stuck_out_tongue:

Did I open Pandoras box (crate) now? :crate:

2 Likes

It is not about whether a builder wants to use greens or not.

It is about how much of a difference they make.

If say… Reap Spirits had 2 greens that could be used with Diviners that provided a +65% total dmg bonus on top of affixes, I would be killing Cally in like 5 mins…

Some purple items makes a lot of difference too, should we post builds without legendariers now also? Like beastcallers set - double briars :open_mouth: Some items have item skill modifiers, some of them are green, some are purple. Some are random world drops but have fixed stats (well some variation on their values) and some are target farmable from certain monsters and bosses but have variable affixes. I think this is what makes farming in GD interesting and fresh.

Yeah I bet diviner reap spirit build would :slight_smile: But now devs decided that such MIs are not needed because build performs “good enough” I guess due to Balance™

Is this also your opinion on acid briars and fire skeleton builds? Those are pretty much impossible to make without the MIs that I mentioned :slight_smile:

You have a legacy of being one of the best and most influential pet builders and players of all time, when you say something like “this is bad” you will influence and affect thousands of players. So when you do not say things in clear language like “physical pet builds are impossible” then people will assume that they are indeed impossible.

No-green mafia and GDStashing mafia are both terrible, God help us when we meet a member of both.

3 Likes

Well since I’m probably the most non-gdstashed MI user builder here, I was being completely rude to you back then in your thread sorry for that, I thought you were a GDstasher but I know better now :stuck_out_tongue:

And how did I miss this topic, it’s been 8 hours. Good work! Though I really don’t know anything about the pets, only dinosaurs and we aren’t in the Jurassic Park :smiley:

And since it’s all about pets, I’m not going to be part of this drama, please continue, I’m making popcorns.

Edit: Why this post moved to this thread, I wasn’t even part of the discussion lol :rofl:

Which thread did you pull my comments from for the OP?
What was the the Title of that thread and what was that thread about?
Which particular set and Pet was that set about?

If a Pet build needs 4 Green MIs with affixes and providing bonuses such as Phys Res, +65% total damage (which is huge as I have mentioned) etc, to come close to other builds that do not need anything like that, I consider it to be a failure.

I want Beastcaller builds to perform “good enough” without such MIs too, just like say Diviner’s Reap Spirits. I use Diviners and reap spirits as an example here because you can use even the complete set with Trinket Birbs unlike 3piece Beastcallers with Trinkets.

You can argue that I hold myself and others to unrealistic standards if you wish. But as you yourself have said, playing only pet builds makes my standards different from those of others.

My opinion of Acid Briars and Fire skeleton builds are the following:

Acid Briars: not worth it, I rather use the pummeler on a Bleed build to get the Crit dmg while ignoring the Acid conversion since Acid/Physical doesn’t matter if going for Bleed.

Skeletons in general: Not worth it because AoE exists.

Your horses layer is nice. Pet builds are like game of chess - you move the figures on the board. :smile:

But no amount of briathorns can make them my favorite pet, first spot is reserved for Bird, then kitty.

2 Likes

here you go

I could do this, just for you, play with non-pet affix rings :slight_smile: I consider the off-hand and amulet the core of the build, the build enablers. The rings are more like icing on the cake. I have several zaria amulets “of the wild” so can get briars to 24/16 no problem :slight_smile:

That can be discussed until end of time, some builds need the greens to get item skill modifiers, some builds need them to cap resistances etc. But I can not see why greens have this special “place” in 2021. Why is color of item important? I bet if you played SSF pet conjurer from scratch, you would get the greens before beastcaller set with very high certainty.

Since I only play pets as a side hobby, using greens are natural to me, just as I would use green belts from damage conversions on some melee and caster builds etc. We have this with non-pets builds too, some perform great without any green MI at all, but for some build they are build enablers.

If devs did not intend us to use green MIs in our builds, why did they implement them in the game? :thinking:

My first 3 questions were rhetorical btw :3

And play without any affixes on anything, not just rings.

Even better, play with whatever affix on rings, but without that offhand or amulet :sunglasses:

amulet and offhand are the major players, not rings.

That is an argument for a different thread. My point is the discrepancy between a build Requiring such bonuses to perform vs builds that do not.

My outcry would be the same if say… you needed Mythical Beastcaller Helm to make a Familiar build perform to the same margin as a Reap Spirit one.

I think you can do that yourself, because you are the one who does not like greens :slight_smile: You can GD stash the build in 20 min I guess. It is like asking someone who has a ravenous earth build to play without basilisk medal and bonespike dagger :sweat_smile:

And my point is that item skill modifiers come from various sources, I have no idea why you are thinking in purple vs greens. Seems, as I said, like a relic from the past.

offhand and amulet is easy to get tho ? :thinking:

I can do like “50 Zaria runs this is what I got and how long time it took” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

heck zaria could be even easier to farm if Z would just allow backtracking from the portal inside Darkvale :smile:

my point (to @Maya) about them being easy to get, 0 affix, or even 1 “perfect” affix, is (imo) they should be treated just like target farmable Purples,
heck some MIs, even with a nice affix, is way easier to farm than, not just some fixed purples like vanquisher, but especially easier to farm than random drop purples, or stuff with 0 crafts, like bysmiel trinkets ex
there are a couple of MIs that wont fit that bill totally, and some niche builds are even worse because of the affix weighting on an MI, ex chaos Voldtrak, but all the others are 110% perfectly valid to include “these days” imo, as most MIs will be easier to get a/1 perfect affix on that even Stoneplates(which are still constantly included in builds just “because craft”)

3 Likes

I mean, all my SSF builds uses several MIs but with “easy” affixes :smiley:

I have. And it sucks terribly. Hence why I am saying that those Greens are what is making the build perform and that Beastcaller nerf is too much along with pet nerf in general.

I am thinking interms of 65% total dmg boost vs without.

Easy to get, yes. But should a build have to rely on getting so much dmg bonus to perform decently?
If you think that is alright, then more power to you. I do not.

yep, i even almost stopped twinking my leveling builds these days because not only are there so many MIs readily available, but easy/quick to get and with either 1 good affix or 2 decent magic

1 Like

i think there is a difference in “rely” on vs taking advantage of availability
those 2 mis would boost “any” briar build, phys or not, - and they are “there” easy to snatch, so why not treat the modifer as any Legendary item modifier?
my current skele build “relies” on the exact affixes on the greens to get 80 phys res, but i think in ulvars case, the MIs are taken advantage of, just like any other Purp modifier in most builds (except way easier to get) - why would you not use things that “work” and are easily available to you, instead of relying on purp rng?
-and if it’s an issue of these specific MIs being too powerful, i’m sure Z would looove to nerf the total dmg down a smidge if you feel it’s unfair single items has such powerful bonuses compared to set bonuses :stuck_out_tongue: