Physical Rune of Haggardian/Octavian Tactician - Crushes 170 with 0 greens

Edited for FG: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4VxgKOl2

Ignore GT link below, I’ve just left it there because it’s a depiction of what I actually used in the YT video. The build above has been tested by me several times over the past few days, and the nerf to RoH is 100% mitigated by taking RoK. Double rune makes too much sense to pass up on.

GT link: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2m9oQo2
GT link with greens: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLzbALN
Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLgxp_dEjgk&feature=youtu.be
Green setup used in video. Improvement in cleartime was negligible. Possibly even worse.

Firstly, and as always, my gratitude to all the legends out there who put up with me. Notable shoutout to seriouscomedy.

Preface
As a HUGE fan of CDR, I feel that the octavius set isn’t being used to it’s full potential. With BiS rolls, the set itself gives a whopping 18% CDR, with an average value of 15% (essentially a free 22/12 starpact).

Stacking raw IT damage on forcewave IS extremely viable, however, it defeats what I believe to be the unique ‘X-factor’ of the set.

Thus, I set about building an IT tactician around RoH using beronath reforged.

One beautiful thing about IT RoH is that we are free to use bladetwister signet! While we do convert approximately 16% - 23% of our elemental damage to pierce instead of physical damage, all elemental DoT damage will still remain as IT damage.

Since that’s where the majority of our damage comes from, the additional -10% phys res goes a long way. (We have a grand total of -82% phys RR, and -42% pierce RR).

Chillspikes was also opted for due to its amazing frostburn damage. In addition, it gives us a free spammable skill with a sheet DPS of 100k. :wink:

Offence/Defence
Cast warcry, overguard and seal --> Cycle through FW, blitz, RoH, chillspikes --> Tank and spank.

That’s literally it.

I mean we have:

1. 100% block recovery
  2. close to 800 damage absorption (with a near 100% uptime)
  3. 3.3k DA
  4. 3k armor with 100% armor absorption
  5. 13.6k hp
  6. 34% phys resist

And this is without temporary buffs up. Note: I consider overguard and obelisk to be ‘permanent buffs’ given that their downtimes are 0.5s, and 1.6s respectively.

I honestly think you would have to intentionally try to kill yourself for you to die.

I’ve facetanked 2x reaper, valdaran, and the mountain at 160 without moving from my seal. The largest damage spike throughout that entire fight was about 15% of my health bar. Check out the youtube video and weep before its glory.

Devotions

1. Yellow crossroad
  2. Assassin’s blade - Bind to Chillspikes
  3. Targo’s anvil
  4. Panther, eel, wraith, shield maiden; Spec out of yellow crossroad
  5. Wolverine
  6. Harp, crab
  7. Obelisk (ignore retaliation node)
  8. Oleron (ignore flat physical damage node) - Bind to Seal

All other celestial powers ought to be bound to permanent buffs like oleron’s rage.

Choice of relic
Mogdrogen’s ardor was chosen over doom to get that 15/12 chillsurge. I feel that the additional projectile was more worthwhile than doom.

Levelling
Level with FW

Should you find energy management to be a PITA…
I suggest trying the proposed solutions one at a time (in this order), and combining them IF AND ONLY IF energy is still too difficult to manage.

1. Swap out bottom right node in Obelisk for the first node in scythe
  2. Trade: i. said node from obelisk, ii. IT node from oleron’s, iii. Wraith --> Complete scythe
  3. Use solar radiance for weapon augments.

As always - I’m open to feedback. :slight_smile:

Really like your RoH Beronath Tactician.]

Way better than my initial concept. Choosing Overguard’s transmuter for uptime really opened up the build from running Time Dilation. I do still wonder how Chillspikes damage is compared to capped Forcewave + Cadence with Deadly Momentum. Otherwise, great build.

Those rings kinda suck. Statwise. Did you think about using Mythical reigns of ice and fire? 4 more skill points into relevant skill (Artifact Handling), more oa/crit. And a proc that is going to be pure physical projectiles.

Really like your RoH Beronath Tactician.]

Way better than my initial concept. Choosing Overguard’s transmuter for uptime really opened up the build from running Time Dilation. I do still wonder how Chillspikes damage is compared to capped Forcewave + Cadence with Deadly Momentum. Otherwise, great build.

Thanks man. You have NO idea how much that means to me, especially since it’s coming from one of the veterans. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I honestly don’t remember if you shared your initial build with me. If you did, and I stole it, I do sincerely apologize!

Those rings kinda suck. Statwise. Did you think about using Mythical reigns of ice and fire? 4 more skill points into relevant skill (Artifact Handling), more oa/crit. And a proc that is going to be pure physical projectiles.

In all honesty, I’m really torn between the OA/proc from the rings you mentioned and phys RR. I ultimately settled on my rings because:

1. Ignoring deadly aim, I effectively have about 3k OA after taking the DA shred from blindside into consideration. With the new buffs/banners, I have around 3.5k OA.
  2. That RR is a damage boost to every one of my skills.

I’ll do a run later in the day with 2x reign of ice and fire and post my findings. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just tested it - additional OA seemed rather unnecessary, and the loss of RR is quite tangible.

Yeah good looking build, gonna give it a shot thanks. Helps that I have the greens as well.

You reaaaaaally don’t need them greens though.

Runeguard greaves is possibly BiS. That shield coupled with crab goes a long fucking way.

Also, chausses of barbaros gives +3 to olerons for more IT fun.

So does Beronath Reforged converts elemental DoT to IT as well? Thought it is for nonDoT damage only conversion

It converts elemental DoT to internal trauma as well, yes.

AFAIK, IT trauma is a subset of physical damage.

thanks that is what i wanted to know! nice build

Don’t even mention it, mate. :slight_smile:

And thanks!

Might be a little noobish question but any reason poison resist not capped ? Or GT is bugging out ?

Firstly, no questions are noobish. We are all learning how to play this hard af game together.

Poison resist isn’t capped because it’s one of the least important damage types in the crucible. In addition, due to the insane amounts of flat damage absorption we are stacking, we effectively negate ALL DoT effects. I can stand in an acid pool, with 3 sigils and not take any damage as long as arcane seal and overguard are up.

In contrast, the aether/chaos/vitality damage types are far more common. (This is one of the reasons why inquisitors are top tier picks for builds atm).

If I was piloting (and I have piloted) this toon in ugdenbog, I’d simply swap out one of my aether/chaos augments for a venomguard augment.

If the uncapped resist really bugs you, feel free to do that! :slight_smile:

@Seriouscomedy: Just realized that if you go maxed deadly momentum, you need to give up maxing out RoH and chillspikes.

The nuke potential of RoH (especially when taking the 3 additional projectiles from chillsurge into consideration) offers better DPS in my opinion.

The only way to make full use of deadly momentum is if you maxed out both FW and blitz - which again takes valuable skill points away from other skills. While such a build is completely viable (as you’ve demonstrated to me :P), I think it would deviate away from RoH.

Another question
I am having super energy issues with this build
Same setup as you Chillspike on LMB am I doing something wrong ?

What you can do to alleviate energy is:

1. Swap out bottom right node in Obelisk for the first node in scythe
  2. Trade: i. said node from obelisk, ii. IT node from oleron’s, iii. Wraith --> Complete scythe
  3. Use solar radiance for weapon augments. :slight_smile:

I should have put this in the OP. My apologies! Also, bear in mind that you need to get HIT for harp to work.

Don’t spam chillspikes too much - it’s predominantly used as an additional source of IT, and supplementary damage. Focus more on using RoH to wreck face.

This build looks sweeeet.

I have both rings, the sword, gloves, and the boots.

I haven’t ever found a single piece of Octavian armor.

Think it would be possible to make a ghetto version of this build without Octavian, or is that 100% necessary?

I could steal anything from my physical forcewave DK…https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVARXpwZ

and I have a lot of legendaries in the bank. Just no dang Octavian. Is there a trick to farming it? Do you even cast forcewave?

It’s possible but no where near as good.

Octavius set = best IT set.

I would use it on almost any physical based character if I’m being honest.

Insane phys res, crazy ele --> phys conversion, fat amounts of HP, CDR, etc.

I use FW mostly as an additional source of IT damage, but in all honesty, RoH carries the build.

If you have tonnes of mats/purps, I suggest looking up the trading forums. Shouldn’t be too difficult to find the items you’re looking for.

The steam trading community is pretty good too.

Also, I’m almost 100% certain that plenty of the vets here would be willing to craft the helm for you if you provide them the mats. I know I would, but I’m gonna be away from GD for the next few days.

Happy hunting. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Made some changes to the devotion-skill bindings. x1x1x1x2 pointed out to me the other day that because some skills (like seal) do not have innate weapon damage, the 70% WD component from blind fury goes to waste. So we are gonna bind this to RoH instead.

(Admittedly, I’m not sure if RoH would work interact with blind fury the same way seal does…but intuitively I don’t think it will).

Just rolled through 150 challenger in HC with this build (I’m a chicken and a poor player!) and its an interesting build. The It feels bad in campaign because most things are dead before a rune detonates and you are moving on. In crucible though it feels pretty good, esp because any leftover runes detonate on the next wave. Overall it feels like an improvement on the build I was using :smiley:

Nice build!

Glad you’re loving the build man. Is this on HC?