Poll: Component Completion Bonuses

YES!
What made TQ boring in the end was the huge need of stack area
(it was becoming work, TQVault was even not enough),
and the farming for few % on an item.

Many pros, no cons… obviously yes.

This may be true, but as someone who spent nearly 2k hours on TQ over 7 years I would point out that I always thought of the RNG completion bonus system as an unnecessary layer of randomness and source of more frustration than satisfaction.

I do understand, however, the huge benefits for players who are into min-maxing and looking for “perfect” builds. But as it was for TQ (and as I suspect it will be for GD) min-maxing is just one way of enjoying the end game and expanding the game replayability, not necessarily THE best way and certainly not the only way.

In a perfect world, I would like to keep the multiple completion bonuses with a way to remove or at least alleviate the RNG factor. Since this doesn’t seem possible with the current resources at CRATE disposal, and since the current system seems to go in the way of further game development (and I think CRATE have earned our trust on development issues), I voted “yes”.

I’m actually a bit surprised that a “bonus” is such a divisive topic. Bonuses shouldn’t be so character/build defining. It’s just that, a bonus.

If this bonus is such a driving factor in build and gear planning, I think the entire concept needs to be revisited. It shouldn’t be this big of a deal, especially when restructuring (not removing) them has the potential to make development of other aspects of the game easier/quicker.

And the Academy Award for best dramatic performance goes to…

I don’t think anyone builds a character around components or their bonuses…

Strange idea…
Without random unnecessary components never replace high lvl comp’s in characters build(or on the contrary),and they will need only for quests,craft(rarely) and very-very specific builds.
For example-my witchblade.I use in weapon “riftstone”,not “symbol of solael”. Because that “riftstone” have random 5% attack speed(sos have another). But if he have just comp bonus no AS he never have chance vs sos.
If riftstone would have just AS as comp bonus-he always replace for me sos.
So,without random that would be very simple gradation by comp bonus and value of that bonus. Because for every build always would be exist ideal set of components for “all time”.

P.S. Sorry for bad english,but I try…

I’ve been thinking long and hard about this. Voted no.

The only real randomization in the game is really good yellows and greens. Lets not remove one more…

I enjoy the feeling of getting a good bonus on a component. :cool:

Just stating what I think, drama would sound way different :wink:

I think it is the single worst option that was ever even considered by Crate this far.

If you add a lot of components to compensate and add variety that way, it could work, but then you bring back the storage issues you presumably wanted to fix.

The other two pros are so minor, they do not even register. So all cons, no pros and yet it is apparently worth considering.

DirePenguin, if anything mamba understated the issue.

I dont think people really grasp the magnitude of this change. Somewhere I saw that there are over 100 Skills attached to components(cant find the post), all that build diversity and more will be gone in one swoop.

No Components with masses of random bonuses = Game is no longer Grim Dawn.

Component skills wouldn’t be going anywhere.

This proposed change does not remove the skills attached to the components as those are already a part of the component.

This proposed change removes the bonus stat that is randomly generated when the component is completed. It adds a static stat instead. I assume the stat would have a range like the other stats on the component.

IMHO, there are better ways to communicate the importance of one’s feedback without resorting to insults.

@ibugsy By insults you mean mention of the d3 AH? If so, yeah that was pretty harsh. I voted no, but these two things are lightyears apart imo.

If its drama they want, I’ll take it one step further.

The only people who should be asked/allowed to vote are those that are at a point where they are re-rolling builds to get them as min/maxed as possible. These people know about the component droprates (which are good enough to work with the randomization), game mechanics and overall how to build the ultimate character. Dikkiedik and a fair amount of other guys comes to mind…

For people who have a couple of okeyish characters, these “pro’s” would seem amazing. Those who want to make them the best they can be will hate the change.

I’ll be a little disappointed if this change does go through…

This is why i am for the orientation through arguments against and for it. A pure populistic vote can be a wrong choice for the gameplay.

For me the customization of items with random bonuses does not need to be bound to materials. To sum up, we want to customize items that make our build more viable and not materials in first line. So why do we bind randomness to materials that obviously are in need to be stable in stats? Why don’t we bind random rolls to items that naturally have a random variety of stats and difference among themselves right as they drop (means explicitly not to apply random bonus at drop as the solution). Can another mechanic seperate components from the vice of individual variety and at once obtain an influence of random bonus through another mechanic of applying those? I think there are ways.
In the end for me the opportunity to customize items (and rather builds) by gamble with random stats needs to stay availiable in any way and by any mechanic which should be as good as the existing one. For me the completion of materials with an additional stable stat is nothing unique any more is quite obsolete for the gameplay since this mechanic would only affect the first minutes of playing. You won’t benefit much from any further material you complete because you won’t need more then ~one per characer. So why stacking things in hundreds from which you only need one or two for ar for only a little part of builds… for opportunity of stacking or making bounties work? Very questionable.

There may be some misunderstanding here.

The question is “Should completion bonuses become non-randomized”, not “Should completion bonuses be removed” : the skills attached to component are already non randomized bonus, they will not be affected by this proposed change.

Or maybe I am the one missing something here … serious question, can someone clarify the issue?

EDIT : OK, already answered :wink:

Zantai already did. The skills aren’t going anywhere. It’s the completion bonus that will be always the same. When you complete your first Searing Ember, it will show a completion bonus. This same bonus you will see each and every time you complete a Searing Ember. No random bonus.

Exactly… this change will effect the veteran players or the those who are trying to min max or make the best possible characters but it wont affect those who either just started the game or dont have any interest in min maxing.

I have characters that want to push for breaking pts in OA, DA, dmg, health, health regen, energy regen… Without component bonuses… All I will be doing is craft for the right affixes on rare items. I really doubt how many of those yes voters understand the magnitude and the complexity of the problem here.

I understand there are other ways to increase customization but trading one for another is not the way to go. We are not even trading one vs. one. The issue here is for an easier mechanic for bounties or crafting which I dont think adds to the customization. As I understand bounties is for gaining faction points. Random bonuses on materials has been with us for years and is what makes grim dawn unique.

Not only that with a fixed bonus its going to be hell trying to balance the materials. Who is going to decide which component gets what bonuses? Some bonuses will be way more desirable than others which will create a huge gap between good/bad ones. No one will ever use certain materials because they will have fixed bonuses. Another example, Severed claw is great for physical dmg builds it can have +7% attackspeed bonus or a lot of other bonuses. For my DW cadence build, I use the attackspeed bonus but for my tremor build, I need cast speed and not attackspeed so I use a severed claw with +12% physical dmg modifier.

And what if … those random bonuses currently available on completed components could be awarded (randomly or selected by the player) as permanent resistances / stat / speed / damage boosts by completing any or some specific bounties ? There was some quest rewards like that in TQ after all …