Poll: Component Completion Bonuses

As cool as the random completion bonus system is…if it means bettering other areas of the game, I wouldn’t mind it getting the boot. More often than not you get a niche completion bonus that doesn’t fit the character who was going to use it anyway (like %chaos damage on a cold dmg comp, or %spirit on an Ancient Armor Plate). On many components I would simply ignore their completion bonuses as they could be expected to be undesirable. :undecided:

This would also remove any incentive to dupe the same piece to see which bonus it had or to ensure a consistently good completion bonus.

well at this rate mine as well say goodbye to +1 to all of a class skills Chains of Oleron & Hallowed Ground. Goodbye to +12 Aether, Chaos & Poison Resists Rolling Bloods, Frozen Hearts & Vicious Jawbones. Still can’t believe this is even remotely close :rolleyes:
Being able to mix and match different resists on same component is one of the best parts of character customization we have. Being forced to use a component that you normally wouldn’t use because it is only component with the resist completion bonus you need is stupid.

Is it me or is the poll counter not working…so far it has always shown the same count for both options?

Edit: 13-13…ahhh, nope just went 13-14…

Some thoughts:

1. The language in the poll is biased towards “yes”. Rather than being neutral. I voted “no”. It’s very clear that you’ve already decided what you want. I think you should be creative and find a good way to have the “more variety” bounties.

2. Removing the completion bonus is, in my opinion, an absolute unmitigated disaster. You ruin the best thing in the game.

3. For both crafting and bounties, you could make it so the components are taken only from the inventory and not from the stash. Or from only the main inventory bad on the left and not from the extra bags we get as quest rewards.

4. It also should be done in a deterministic way. For example, it starts at the top left of the main inventory bag and goes down the column, then up to the top of the 2nd column and down again, etc. That give us control over what gets taken.

5. There also needs to be a way to refuse a bounty. If I only have one copy of a component I might not want to give it up.

6. The idea of having a box pop up to put it in is good. That seems most consistent with the “feel” of TQ and GD.

7. The bounties could ask for specific completion bonuses. I think I like this, actually. You could show the pre-rolled completion bonus on uncompleted components so that we could make the ones we want or need.

That’s the idea of Standard Completion Bonus I mentioned. It was in TQ, and for those that don’t know how it worked, it goes like this.

We have say a Chipped Claw. If you socket it straight away into a weapon, and then complete it inside the weapon, it will always have a bonus of say… 20 OA. But if you complete it in your inventory, it will roll random boni, the standard completion bonus included, just like how it works now.

This is a nice choice to make, since it always provides you with a known bonus that you can count on, and on the other hand, if you complete it in your inventory you might get something potentially better like 8% Attack Speed, or something worse like +2 Cunning, +2 Spirit.

With the up and coming Bounty System, we are running into the same problem we originally had with crafting from the inventory. If a Bounty asks you to deliver a Component, you have no choice of which one is taken out of your inventory. We believe that having Bounties ask for specific Components, instead of some one-time items only for quests, makes the world feel more cohesive (the people of Cairn actually want the same stuff you do) and allows many parts of the game to work together. That way items you are already gathering have even more purpose, instead of piling on quest-only loot.

If we do not go through with this change, then there will be less variety in the Bounties offered.

I hate it when technical limitations get in the way of creativity…

What if the bounties were recipes that the factions’ smith “crafts”?

Voted NO

I understand how a change could make things more simple. But thats not what it should be about. Its about the gamplay and builds and those are definetely affected negative

big con:

It takes away so many options to customize and individualize your build ideas. Rigid component bonuses are a restriction and this would lead to builds that are much weaker then those that are pleased by these of the rigid component system. A component with an almost random bonus can be bad for the one and pretty nice for another special build config. It will lead to builds and configurations that wont be played because they cannot be as viable as those configs that are pleased by the rigid component system.
To be rude: A dualclass system for the trashbin then and a big step backwards and loss of quality in my eyes. This also can never be a solution for the stash or stacking problem.

I love to hunt for new good rolls and to browse my components for the best ones in my current build configuration. In addition it forces me to farm and to rework my loadout. No big deal.
In conclusion the component system as it is right now is absolutely perfect.

I would better say: >Rework the bad stash system< (not that i never or anyone i spoke to complained about it… please, don’t ask now whats bad about it, while you try to solve it from the wrong end) There were some nice threads about the stacking problem and thinkable solutions, but i guess no dev ever dared to rise the voice there for example (maybe i am wrong)… What i see now is a cheap (and not well thought) try to wipe good and fitting gamplaymechanics for a doubtful purpose. The componentsystem and bonusmechanic as it is right now is almost perfect and an important enrichment to the game.

Yes, and i don’t think one answer needs to be mutually excluded from the other right from the start at all.

From what i read i am pretty much with Demasked i think. I just can recommend devs to read my linked thread and open the mind again. It’s completely nonsense to erase fantasic gameplay mechanics. I am a bit disappointed that a solution is obviously going to be forced like this while others here worked for a problems solution long ago. I knew this would come up again at times and i see that devs still are in the dark with this problem. Again: don’t only think about why something cannot work together but merely think about how something can be made work together! And not at last: Where is the sense?

I like this idea. Actually, I love it.

In general, I will actually favor a more robust quest system (bounties) over these item bonuses, but this seems like a great way to preserve/ enhance both systems.

I am finding myself disliking many of the changes made to this game. I feel much less good about GD than I did a year ago. I’m fairly disappointed at this point.

However, having said that, if the issue is that you are reaching a point where you don’t have the budget to finish the game in the “right” way, then go do another kickstarter. We’ll give you more money.

I like the completion bonus on Components as it is. I don’t understand why bounties cannot be programmed in a way that we select the component (with a bad completion bonus) that we want. Would it take to much time to actually make the change?

I played a bit over 500hours and the reason why I’m still playing is becuse of :

1. Having better completion bonuse on my components (Still not perfect yet)
  2. Might seem obvious but the game is in early access and the added content with each build give a purpose to play it. (Faction system right now for B25)
  3. Getting better gears

As you can see, the completion bonuse on compoenents is something that make a player to play more the game. I think that it is a STRONG itemization aspect of the game. Do not give up on that, plz.

A couple of the solutions above would allow this randomness to continue, as well as give the devs the control they require to implement bounties and component stacking.

Personally, I hate having to manage the sheer amount of components i acquire across all my characters.

If you’re talking about the completion bonus to apply only when you socket the components into a item, I disagree. It would actually be frustrating to go from a ok-good completion bonus to a bad completion bonuse because you want a specific one. It would be a really bad decision from Crate if they do that.

I’m torn between 2,this is really hard decision to be honest.

Torned apart. I know it would save you many hours of thinking how to get things working as you expected, but, you say yes and I say no. Variations of components are just great. I love I have 20 pieces of some kind of component and still missing the one which give me +1% possible resist…its a very good and it forces me to gather everything which fall on the ground. So hell yeah, lets gather the loot…

Actually, I’m referring to the suggestion for the old TQ method. I don’t mind the randomness from components nearly as much as I mind the complete RNG crap-shoot that is the existing crafting system.

Not to mention the existing storage system isn’t nearly adequate enough to support the way components are handled right now. As I look through my different character, nearly 90% of the used inventory space is dedicated to components, simply because I don’t know which ones I’m going to want to use tomorrow or the next day. If they could stack, it would be so much better. I shouldn’t be forced to use transfer.gst/h copies just to manage it. :\

Voted for “no”.

Nice way to customize your gear is not worth “Component stacking” and “benefits to crafting”. Not so sure about bounties, point about connecting different aspects of gameplay seems strong.

But: on most components you want to see some specific completion bonus (like 7% Attack Speed for Sewered Claw for most physical Cadence builds, as it gives most dps and rises ammount of Cadence procs per time). So at the best you hunt for one specific bonus, wich is ofthen the only one per component (as another builds will use another components).
So leaving this bonus as the only one will not hurt build. It may look a bit boring (as you wull get best completion bonus at 100% ratio), but on the same way it will cut some RNG and grinding part from the game, so i cant really say how good or bad it is.

But there is plenty of components that used by many classes/builds at the same time. Best example is Chains of Oleron.
Obviously right now most of builds will try to get +1 to their “main” tree, and so you will have three (at least obvious ones) ways to remake its comp.bonus :
a) Remove skilltree bonuses from it completly ( reducing total ultimate skill levels aviable in game)
b) Giving it +1 to all trees (making it even more “best in slot” than now)
c) Adding (or remaking existing ones) 5 different armor components with stats “fitting” to main trees and +1 to that tree as completion bonus (best way in my opinion, but requires alot of work just to rework one component that is not the only one)
(Added : oh, and i dont take in consideration options that will require big “engine” changes like adding new scripts or changing existing ones.)

And that was most easy one. Why easy? One build still uses one component bonus. So you can predict what bonus each tree will look for. Lets go next to the Roiling Blood
If my character lacks of aether resistance , i can go for “8% Aether Resistance”, and if i need chaos res i can go for “8% Chaos Resistance”. Now it depends on my trees, build, gear and other component bonus rolls. And if i dont have proper one, Roiling Blood itself still a nice component for my rings. It is a nice example of well-made customization, and it would be sad to loose it.

Taking into consideration all that was mentioned above : “constant completion bonus” can be even better that current system, but it will require huge (in my opinion, maybe it would be easy for you devs :p) rework on current component system, so it will be focused around “finding/choosing a component” instead of current “rolling a component bonus on chosen component”. Otherwise you will cut nice way to customize character to open a way to customize your gameplay. Its not a really bad tradeoff, but i think you could do more :wink:

p.s. English is not my native language , so i feel sorry for all mistakes or wrong expressions i made at the message above. But i feel that this poll is important, as it touches really important part of gameplay (that went from TQ and proven yourself there and in GD). Hope my english knowledge is enough to leave understandable opinion.

I voted yes. It’s usually a pity to lose any customization options, but the randomness of the bonus undercuts player control anyway, so in this one case I won’t be too torn up. We already have a lot of variety in base items. It won’t hurt too much to standardize components, and it sounds like it would help in other ways.

Toss the random completion bonuses, and add some more types of components instead.

The Completion Bonus isn’t something that I would want to go away.

It adds a randomness and also a variety when it comes to different builds and reaching different goals. It also gives you the drive in searching for a specific Completion Bonus by farming them.

If it were possible I would suggest Crafting and Bounties take components from a Specific Inventory. Not all your inventory. This way you can put valuable Components with Completion Bonuses in a non crafting/bounty area to keep for items.

That or have 1 unique component bag which contains a button of each component type. Clicking on a component type would open up all components that you have of that type with arrows to go through the different completion types - right clicking on the most front component would remove it from the list or place it for crafting/bounty use.

This way it would condense inventory space by a ton and give more control as well. I’ll see about photoshoping something up to show what I mean.

In any case if there was an option I would vote for option C - which is to say look at a different solution that not only keeps what we already have but also condenses inventory management and still make use of crafting/bounty system.

I really like this.

Still, TQ had random completion bonuse too. I’m not against the Idea of completing the component into an item and having a fixed completion bonus and still being able to have a better completion bonus once complted into the inventory. I just don’t see how it affect the current straw poll.

No matter which arpg you play, you’ll always have mules to transfer items, unless you’re not playing much. That’s a fact. I currently have 1 mule with components that have the best completion bonuse and a couple of other mules for components with bad completions bonus for future crafting if needed. You don’t have to do what I do, the only part that you should do is having a mule with components that have a good completion bonus.

And since the B24 quiting and selecting a new char takes not even 5 secondes, it’s impressvely faster!

I think this is the best argument for removing randomization. I don’t want to collect 3-4 pieces of some super-rare component and put them together just to find that the completion bonus sucks, at least relative to what it might have been, and I have to either settle for it or grind for more and roll the dice again. I don’t want to meta-game it out either with savefiles. Better to have one bonus that makes sense and fits in with the rest of the benefits, rather than a chance for +7% fire damage on a poison component, or whatever.