Range of my ranged characters

no, only if you have serious gaps elsewhere, i know this because i (and others) exactly don’t prioritize high chaos res, and still do fine against those enemies

no, and i can state this as fact since i rarely do so, and yet deal with her fine, her gimmick is not high resist overcap related, and as such is easily handled without when you know that gimmick,
likewise how having high resist overcap can easily still get you killed against her if you aren’t aware of her gimmick

again no

yep, and so and so forth on the line of BS stated as if fact,
meanwhile most of builds ever posted for endgame exactly deal with these without worry and have rarely gone to any extreme lengths to prioritize and raise said resist that high
again, nice to haves, not mandatory - not even remotely mandatory, and varies from build to build depending on which other defences have avail, healing, and ofc what content aiming at, if wanting to do Cruci with buffs and banners vs naked, or sr 65 vs 75 or 95 or just campaign content/world nemesis/dungeons

1 Like

This time, the armor loss is rather high - but this is the price for more damage (and damage is the best defense - what is death, cannot harm you). Even quicker “playing around” than with the fire builds, so likely there is still quite some room to optimize them further.

Warlock, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (dw)

Warlock, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (2h)

1 Like

Thank you, @The_Coyote :slight_smile:

1. Consecrated Blade (30% phys to chaos) - you removed it to have points in Overload? I thought the conversion is working in my advance … What Overload offers for this build, is OA… :slight_smile:
  2. The Armor Rating is low, like I had it in the very first draft of those builds and I can tell you - it was a pure glass cannon…

I will have to adjust the very first contribution in this thread that I tried to create the chars not to be extremely squishy / glass cannon…

1. You have not that much physical damage to be converted - so the point here went elsewhere (you builds need critical hit for proc - so the higher OA is not lost - check the ring and 2h weapon). Also allowed to reinvest some cunning points in other attributes
  2. Could be true - the armor loss will be feelable, the higher damage and attack damage converted to health should however bring another layer of substain (as long as you can kill stuff). If it is enough - dunno. But if a build is squishy / glass canon depends on a lot of factors, the armor value is only one aspect.

[edit: And if you look at your armor - always keep the physical resistance in mind - the effective difference between the fire dw and chaos dw build is lower than the sheet difference, as the chaos build has a higher physical resistance: 2693/0.81 = 3324.7 vs 1969/0.67 = 2938.8]

1 Like

IMO, Aether res overcap is even LESS “mandatory”, because you can just drink a cheap +25% resist potion from Malmouth Resistance faction every time you deal with any Aetherial enemies.

As for the rest - IDK, i had a hard time against some bosses without overcapping certain resistances. And not only in SR (Crucible doesnt even count as you can just slap an Ulo buff). Morgoneth, for example, gave a hard time to some of my characters even with proper vitality res overcap, and he deals cold/physical vitality damage and inflicts 33 RR (=need 33 overcap). Of course, chasing 30-40 res overcap at all costs isnt worth it ether, and physical defences (armor/resist) are very important too. But since i often use MI’s in my builds, i have a plenty of leeway to get resistances. Never understtod those who tries to fit epics/legendaries into every possible slot, even if they arent really strong for their build.

normally that’s not how people plan their builds, that they have to rely on consumes etc, much less when it can be fixed but also more so->

^drinking elixirs would equally apply to that, except for pierce since it doesn’t have a potion, but all the others do

guarantee you it’s not because you didn’t have specifically the fixed amount of overcap, but because of Morgo’s specific gimmick that already makes him baseline tough for many builds compared to most other bosses, even Nemesis, he cheats, twice,
one of the worst experiences against Morgo is probably a weapon attacker lightning build with either lowish single target dmg (like primal strike) or greedy setup where only took bare minimum lifesteal “because it works against other content”, but morgo just makes that rougher
add on top of that his arena and RNG magi shade spawn and it makes for a decent build check, one i rate higher than ex Lokarr, he’s potentially simply just that tough

but like i said before, a good example of certain resist not being prioritized that high is simply going browsing in other builds, top 20 recently posted is a good example, with lots of builds with those 3-4 res low or under the “avg advice”,
regular build compendium might be getting a bit old but probably still lots of builds in there with similar resist priority theme or lack thereof, unless maybe it’s Alex’s - iirc even Ford’s well balanced builds sometimes cuts some of those 3 resist a little lower too

1 Like

If you are just building for yourself, then that’s a valid opinion.

But if you are designing a guide or a build suggestion, imho it is typically more helpful to either:

• show an MI in the build with the most basic or no prefixes/affixes or a legendary and let the player use the best found MI - if something better drops.
  • or state that the MIs are fantasy and recommend either grimtools conjuration or a rediculous amount of grinding in order to get the MI.

Many of the top builds are designed around the fantasy concept and this is not practical for most players, especially self-found.

And also, Builds that don’t have specific leveling guides - and even those that do - often level using a completely different gear or skill layout. Until they can find gear that can really enable the original intent.

just to bring the thread back on topic

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/b28rdlGZ (closer to your concept - even if another shoulder is used)

Tactician, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (“classical” Cadence / War Cry Warborn)

1 Like

IDK, those buildmakers claim they farm Crucible, SR, etc, but when i try to repeat their feats with similar builds i fail miserably. Not every time, of course, but once in a while. IMO they’re way too offensive with a little leeway for any mistake or lag.

They might just have better-than-normal rolls on their gear and have higher resistances in the game than grimtools shows you. Not to mention some of them use near-impossible to get double-rare MI (at least, impossible with exactly those mods), and it’s impossible to follow them to the letter.

This reply is for the user @BOG exclusively, or is it a suggestion for me, as a topic founder as well?

Let me ask, @The_Coyote one crucial thing…

Are my concepts correct, just need to be refined here and there, in the terms of gear or skillpoint distribution, or they are not that good and you have a hard time to improve my builds, because they are “wrong” by the basis…?

Both, I suppose. If your builds are intended as guides, then you should consider minimizing the affix/suffix. Or you can comment on the particular affixes and how hard they are to find…and why the affixes are as such - if you don’t want to try to juggle a higher-chance drop or just the plain MI into the build.

I haven’t looked that close at your affixes, so it may not be a issue here.

For example, it’s pretty common in a guide that has crafted boots with affixes to explain why the boots are needed: resistances, regen, armor, etc.

A MI by itself, is self-explanatory for the conversions or skill boosts. But affixes are not: ie, are you just boosting damage and such… or is this necessary to cover a deficiency of some sort. And if it does cover a gap, then the reader has to find a very similar MI combo, unless augments can be easily juggled for flexibility.

And if there are multiple MIs that have restricted affix needs, this make the build pretty hard to complete without a lot of grind.

1 Like

Depends, first, I must get the concept - which is not guaranteed. I try however to follow the idea I see in the build and not provide a complete different one just using the same class combo (the exception was the warborn tactician).

In the cases so far, imho, there were only relative minor adjustment. You currently just gave a bit too much weight to resistances and high armor (and weapon, ring and amulett augments provide quite some flat damage which you neglected therefore), and a little bit to less weight to damage and resist reduction. The rest is only playing around to fix the holes which were created in the process - so that the build still (ahem: somehow) follows the outlined required build characteristics.

for me i think the ideas are fine, they are just all executed the same way, which means the same little flaw carries over to all your builds (mentioned this in the other thread you made)
not taking certain RR aside, because i legit can understand not wanting to play with ex Devouring Swarm as weapon attacker, Thermite mines in general, or to some extend Wind Devils too
the main issue present is your tendency, or maybe rather desire/“mantra” to max every skill you do take, regardless if it’s a skill worth maxing, which then leaves you short other good skills
i get that looks nice neat and tidy to only have X amount of skills and it so happens to be X is equally maxed across the board, but it loses rather big on not just the overall efficiency side, but also leaves you short stuff that could be monumentally helpful to your build, specially with the concept you then have in mind potentially
one thing is not liking 1pt wonders, but still maxing a skill that’s maybe not actually good after the 1pt, just takes away from another skill you could maybe have maxed, that would actually be good or worthwhile more than 1pt wonder - tho 1pt wonders really shouldn’t be dismissed in Grim Dawn, there is some tremendously good ones

Yes, I’ll ditto this. There has been a lot of suggestions and encouragement for Crate to evolve some of these one-point wonders or certain break-points - and in fact some have been tweaked in the last many updates but…

There are still quite a few that remain. So you are not alone in taking issue with it, but it is important to know for more efficient building. Often you’ll note these on the second or later pass of a build, and might miss it on the first glance.

Or someone helpful can point it out. There’s always something to tweak in this game, which is part of the challenge.

For example, when reading this thread I noticed The_Coyote suggested putting points from Solael’s Witchfire transmuter elsewhere because there is not a lot of physical. And I had just briefly thrown together a build suggestion a while ago on another thread with a similar issue. Which made me think that if I were to play it, I would probably move those points and some others elsewhere. (My quick-build habit is to put skills in that node).

If my builds use greens / MIs, the key to prefixes and suffixes (affixes in general) is:

1. boost the desired damage type
  2. (optional) add some skillpoints to the skills which are used.

So Ugdenbog Bilelauncher has poison / acid affixes and if possible, points added to skills which the builds use.

Thank you @The_Coyote and @Gnomish_Inquisition :slight_smile:

The framework for all builds is the same and it comes from:

1. my experience from another ARPG games (Diablo II and Titan Quest)
  2. I am kind of old(fashioned) gamer (my fingers are not quick enough)
  3. I am a left hand user of mouse (so everything important is assigned to NUM keyboard)

I am unable to use more than, I would say 4-5 skills. I am too old to learn how to use my right hand as a spider on keyboard, so…
A) I try to get as much passive skills / WPS / permament buffs / auras as possible. They are added to the char characteristics, or I turn them on and unless I die or a monster turn them off, I don’t need to worry about them
B1) First (and most important) skill is attack replacer (LMB)
B2) Second skill is alternative attack (like Oleron’s Might) or curse / debuff (like Curse of Frailty
B3) Temporary buff / Heal 1
B4) Heal 2 / Oh crap skill (MoE)

I am pretty aware that Thermite Mine / War Cry / Wind Devil / Inquisitor Seal would help me, but they are difficult for me to incorporate to my playstyle, so I would prefer to have PROCS on the gear. Nothing special needs to be done and the only thing I have to do is shoot or to be touched by monster(s).

If the situation allows it, I shoot and slowly go forward, I would say “supressive fire”.

if you have a multi button mouse you can also assign some skills there, i often have 4 skills on my mouse (basic 5 button mouse nothing fancy)
numlock should still give you the same amount of hotkeys as a righthand using keyboard hotbar, buuut, if you potentially want a bit extra wiggle room or just unload some, there is stuff like autocaster or lazy mod that can potentially help

as far as build approach goes, here’s a super simple example with your cabalist Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
keeping it the same amount of button presses, but a way that benefits the build better: Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
here the swap is pretty straight forward, just replacing 1 active with another

on the 2h tactician https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1pbBL2 we are not taking or replacing any actives, just shuffling the passives around where they benefit a bit better Tactician, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
now you have 100% wps pool, you have extra speed and flat dmg from ranged expertise, squeezed that final point in squad tactics you were missing to hit the next speed breakpoint (and coincidentally maxed the skill)
^several other finer point adjustments/optimizations that could be made there, getting wps and ranged expertise was just the basic of it

1h trickster we’re not gonna mess around with as such (very minor stuff), but for 2h Grim Dawn Build Calculator are gonna take advantage of Shaman’s actual 2h utility, or some of it atleast Trickster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
here’s a good example of a 1pt wonder for you, because you have so many bonus points to nightblade for 1pt in Anatomy of murder you get a free 12% cunning boost and some fat racism dmg to humans, noice

slight oversight in your dw druid Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, Might of the Bear only works with 2h
anyways, we rip those misspent points out, and takes out couple others that are less optimal, and the just max the existing nice stuff, a 1pt here and there, and there is a couple points left for the stuff whatever one feels like putting in Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
and for 2h Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator it’s basically the same, except like before taking advantage of the 2h stuff you can benefit from Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

ex on Sorc with mild point shuffling to get really good passives Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, and like before easily more optimization that could be done and small point shifts to benefit more in Y place than X, 2h would naturally be similar since it’s all passives and most of the itemization is the same

for witchunter you’re not taking Soalels witchfire even tho you really need speed, 1pt in anatomy of murder again etc etc, max lethal assault, you convert dmg on second rite and it offers you vitality resist you can shuffle elsewhere Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, same for 2h ofc

spellbinder not taking IEE even tho your OA is actually making you benefit from elemental balance crit node

just examples of small tweaks that can be made for some benefit, and more/better still to be made, when not maxing every skill immediately, without it necessarily going into piano territory or even changing the active skill amount as such

even more to be had on the devotion side, but personally i also think devotion is where there is more room to be had for fun without needing to go total optimization or minmax since they are basically all passives. But even with that there is ofc stuff here and there to potentially help more or less (ex Targo with shield wall you might be overestimating the benefit of a bit, likewise obelisk)
low lifesteal for weapon attackers means usually you’re better of trying to raise your lifesteal amount in devos, rather than attempting to go "tank"devos for defence. More lifesteal means you can heal up in the fraction of a second, where “tank” devos just means you take slightly less dmg, but still take dmg you need to heal up from - which then is worse if speed is low. Decent amount to aim for is around 12-15% on the min end, depending on if compensating with other heals or heal procs ofc

3 Likes

If you like builds with limited number of buttons - you could perhaps like such a Warborn Havoc Tactician (Cadence, Word of Renewal, War Cry and Movement Skills), somehow close to your idea, but using Warborn set to have War Cry - Tactician, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

1 Like

I’ve played with classic 2-h ranged Savagery Vindicator, and its playstyle only requires to throw an Inquisitor Seal under your feet + cast Wind Devil once, and then just press right-click and aim at everything that moves on the screen. Both have pretty long duration (24 & 18 seconds) to kill everything before they expire and you dont have to move close to every enemy due to being ranged. All devotion procs get triggered by right-click only. Even if it takes more than 20 seconds to kill an enemy, just recast Wind Devil and Seal every 15 sec or so. Oh, and refreshing Word of Renewal every CD doesnt even counts because it’s an instant cast without interrupting your actions. You can even bind it to mouse wheel roll.
Hell, if that’s NOT simple enough, then what is? A passive build that kills everything while being AFK? I made one too - Vindictive Flame Saboteur. Its damage comes from passive Vindictive Flame procs, and all its skills are support ones. You can probably tweak it a bit so it wont need to push any buttons at all… The best build for a lazy man.

1 Like