[REL] Grim UI

I’ve added a “higher visibility” red button to show that you have toggled “Hide All Items” to Grim UI. Copy the file to “UI\hud” and overwrite the existing one.

Thanks goes to @tean101 for collaborating on this.

The download is in the Grim UI Add Ons section in the OP.

1 Like

Thanks! :+1:

No problem! :metal:

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I haven’t used the poll function yet, so let’s see what happens…

I’m curious if anyone is interested in an expanded caravan mod for Grim UI? It’s based on the Stasher mod by @tt300 coupled with my Grim UI graphics, a few database edits and would be called “Grim UI X-Smuggler”.

If I do release it, it will be in a source files only state. That way you can merge it with Grim Dawn, another mod or compile it as a stand alone mod for yourself.

Here’s a screen shot of a prototype background for the expanded caravan:

3 Likes

How risky would this caravan mode be, in terms of possibility of losing items? And what about patches, would there be a risk of messing something up?

Because if no, holy shit, would I use this immediately, so I don’t have to leave the game to use third party programs! Not to mention that in order to move an item from one char to another, I have to add it to the database, then find it in the database, then transfer it to another char. Such a pain in the ass. This would make things so much simpler.

Look in this thread, I think there is a risk. Like Matougi said.

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/mod-stasher-v10-fo-gdx2-include-source-data/41060/59

The risk is too high for me, because you have to be careful with every update. And at some point something goes wrong.

Correct me if I’m wrong …

But it’s not bad the whole thing, from the idea …

Just disable auto-updates, where the game won’t update until you run it (in Steam). Then when you see an update just back-up your entire save folder, which takes like seconds to do.

if you modify the base game, there is a risk, as mentioned. If you create a mod there is a lot less risk however. Worst case you should need to update your mod if the UI ever changes again

if you want to transfer one item to another char, use the shared stash, that is what it is for…

If you use IA or GD Stash for that, you are doing it wrong… can’t speak for IA but the fact that you can easily do it in game is why I never bothered creating an easy way to do it in GD Stash.

I understand, but the thing is, since I’m an altoholic, I have around 40 chars right now. And my shared stash is usually full of components, materials and some great legendaries or MI which I don’t want to risk by using 3rd party programs and moving them from stash to database. I do not recall any instances of item loss with GDStash, but I think recently some people lost items with IA. So I have a full shared stash, and then I get a great item on my char 24 for my char 35. And then I have to remove items from shared stash, put that item there, and after putting it in char 35’s inventory, I have to put back the items that I removed from shared stash.

Sure, this might be rectified by simply dumping everything in GDStash database, and leaving the shared stash empty, but I’m always a bit apprehensive with external tools for games.

In my mod, which I always merge with Grim Dawn, I have not had any problems with the expanded caravan or any other aspect of my mod, for that matter. Yeah, it can be a minor pain in the ass having to update things every time Crate puts out a patch but, I’d rather have that “problem” as opposed to not.

That being said, here’s a screen shot I just took with the default database and only Grim UI installed. I did this to show you that if I forgot to merge the caravan mod with the game after an update, no big deal. Everything is still there. I’ll explain below.

This is my shared stash and oh yes, it looks like shit. The thing is, all of these items are stored in the transfer files located in the “save” directory, not the shared stash in game on the caravan. The caravan shared stash tab shows me the contents of the transfer file and the location of each item on the page. Everything outside of the grid isn’t accessible at this point, so I couldn’t even select an item and drop it. Once I merge my mod, everything is fine. All of my items still show up in my shared stash, fully accessible and ready.

The most important thing to do is, backup all of those transfer files. If you do that, you almost can’t lose anything. I do this after every play session personally.

If you decide to merge this with Grim Dawn, it’s no big deal. I do it many times a day when I’m testing things. If you have things setup, every time Crate puts out a patch, you could have it updated in no time at all, provided they didn’t change anything with the caravan.

When Crate does put out a patch like they recently did adding the search bar, I still merged my mod with the new database. The worst that happened was, I had a search bar sitting in a stupid location. No big deal. I got the files located, changed a few coordinates and fixed it.

I fully intend on keeping my mod(s) updated. Yes, there will a delay while I’m updating things, but that’s to be expected.

So as far as risk goes losing items, I’d say it’s almost non-existent, if you back your files up. I would say the same for merging with the game’s database. If something goes wrong and you didn’t make a back up first, just have Steam verify the files and it’ll download a new one.

Apologies for the long winded post. I’m just trying to assure everyone that if this wasn’t safe, I wouldn’t use it much less release it.

2 Likes

Man it looks amazing

1 Like

I forgot this, I will add it. Thanks for reminding me.
Actually, I have this setting. The problem is that I always start playing the game immediately after manually updating it, and notice my mistake after opening the warehouse. And in order to see what happened, I repeatedly opened the warehouse and lost the data. :sweat:

Thank you! :+1:

I don’t understand how you lost items out of your caravan by opening it? My screen shot above shows what happens if I previously had an expanded caravan mod installed, the game got updated and then I start the game without putting the mod back on.

Is there something to repeatedly opening the caravan? I don’t understand.

I’ve also not had any issues with auto-updates turned on either.

That’s true for those who are a cautious even for just a bit like you. Unfortunately I’m terribly stupid and repeat the same mistake. Certainly, once I open the caravan, I realize I made a mistake. The clever person will quit the game there, but I can’t help without checking again. This is my personality problem and I can’t do anything about it. :disappointed:

I think always “next time for sure”, but actually this will be.

only the items I didn't need remained

Well, I’m confused, no doubt about it. I just did a test about 10 minutes ago to see what would happen if I repeatedly opened the caravan under the following conditions:

My shared stash contains items from the expanded stash.
The game is 100% default, no mods whatsoever.

My results were just like my screen shot above (without Grim UI) each time I opened the caravan. Items went clear across the character window and I couldn’t select any of them.

I opened the caravan multiple times on the personal stash tab and the shared stash tab. I even moved a few items around in the caravan just to make sure it would write changes to the transfer file.

After doing so, I merged my mod with Grim Dawn (gdx2.arz), loaded my character and nothing changed in my caravan.

All the caravan mod does is change the graphics in the game. It has almost nothing to do with saving the information about the contents of the shared stash to the transfer file. I say almost nothing because it does increase the size of the accessible area which will increase the size of the transfer file.

This is why I honestly don’t understand what could be going on.

If you got the files I’ll be happy to test it a bit. I’m not one bit afraid to lose items or characters, frankly. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Not 100% sure if it will work for me at the moment since I’m on the latest test build but I’ll give it a whirl for ya.

1 Like

That’d be cool. I ain’t afraid of losing shit either, honestly as I always have backups.

I’ve tested the hell out of it, even trying to break it somehow and can’t.

Very cool. I’ll toss it in a PM here in a second.

1 Like

I used to think that the location information of the items simply changed and did not affect the existence of the item. I don’t think there was any loss of items long ago. However, I don’t know since when, but I have experienced many times the disappearance of items.

The worm-eaten picture in the screenshot is not something I deliberately made. This is a strange phenomenon from a logical point of view. Maybe it’s just my mistake, but the cause is unknown.
If we know that it doesn’t happen normally, it’s great.

I’m truly at a loss. I tried to break this thing by running the expanded caravan as a standalone mod (custom game) and I can’t. That’s because the mod has it’s own folder with the transfer file, etc., all located in the “save” folder. There again, those items are “protected” so long as you backup those files.

I don’t see the “worm-eaten” picture you mentioned in the screen shot.

that makes no sense, either all items in the area outside the regular window should disappear, or none of them - and as both JDM’s and your pic show, they do not get removed… so it does not seem that the issue was the changed window size