Roadblocks that randomly appear each session. Do we need them?

Except he’s the guy who has the final say about what’s in the game or not. :laughing:

2 Likes

I agree with medierra about “most” things but the transparent map thing I’ve always kinda been ehhhh about. I see no reason not to include a transparent map overlay and I think Zantai really should bring it back before him for reconsideration.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it or anything but I think it’s something that should just be in the game.

1 Like

If it’s an option as well as the one we already have then yeah, maybe. But I wouldn’t want it replacing the mini-map. The overlay was one of the things I didn’t like about D2.

There is no need to replace it. Most games these days have it cycle between “full map”, then transparent, then none, then back to full and so on. You can easily have “all” worlds.

I get medierra’s approach to most things - like no bows, and having the roadblocks and shit but I think that as far as transparent map overlay goes he might have over thought it just a bit too much there.

1 Like

No, but if his vision of the game doesn’t include it then that’s not wrong. It’s just something he doesn’t want in his game, no matter what other games do.

1 Like

One way or another, there is something in this roadblocks, when you get in the Mountain Deeps and say to yourself “Oh, it’s that map again…”.

I’m just gonna say that if Crate ever attempts to remove the roadblocks to pander to the filthy casuals I’m quitting this game for good. Not only that, I’m gonna change my very positive review in Steam for a negative one and demand a refund with a 6000 words essay explaining why I deserve it despite my +1000 hours of playing time and I’m gonna leave mean comments every time Crate posts something in Facebook.

2 Likes

You should just quit the game anyway with that attitude.

2 Likes

If you are asking about no bows, then see Grim Dawn FAQ - Compilation of Dev Feedback

1 Like

The forum search, btw, is actually very accurate…

2 Likes

“I’m just gonna say that if Crate ever attempts to keep the roadblocks to pander to the mouth breathing, basement dwelling elitists I’m quitting this game for good. Not only that, I’m gonna change my very positive review in Steam for a negative one and demand a refund with a 6000 words essay explaining why I deserve it despite my +3000 hours of playing time and I’m gonna leave mean comments every time Crate posts something in Facebook.”

/FIXED

My need for having satyr or sarcasm aside, isn’t the vast majority of players casual anyways? One way or another I wouldn’t care if this feature was kept or removed…but labeling people because they don’t like a feature, #qintheTylerDurdenlaugh

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ordinary enemies need to be more challenging

It’s a far cry from labeling a group of people over just the feature. It’s a commonly observed mindset that has ties to design paradigms that are potentially disruptive to the game Crate intends to deliver. Or at least that’s what I gather from this thread. Many of these suggestions are emotionally driven and founded upon a disconnect between the expected reality and the actual. Chesterton’s Fence rarely enters into it without outside help, and as seen above is brushed aside because the product must conform to expectations of singular parties.

(Dry humorous aside) As for those who wish to pound labels upon themselves who am I to be judged for agreeing to use the proposed terminology.

Are you referring to Chesterton’s fence?

1 Like

Why yes I am, or would have been if I got the spelling right.

It’s a rather simple principle, but quite universal - interesting.

This is what I see from above:

Player A: I ran for item x 100 times. Because of road blocks I lost y minutes. If I didn’t lose y minutes, I could have gotten z more runs in.

Player B: Filthy easy mode casual. Crate, change the game and I’ll revolt.

Player A: ——-> ran the same map 100 times = casual? 900 hours playtime is not casual.

Who is really playing the game? And of the person who is threatening bad reviews if they don’t get their way? The original post was more of why is this here and I don’t get it because I am losing time and time is costing me.

As for the poster I referenced. It is the only post in the thread so were they reading the thread as it went along or did they happen to find it, rage post, and then left? If that’s the case it’s more of an attack, which it seems to be since there was no further buy in as the posting from that person stopped.

This comes down to human nature (as mentioned didn’t read the link and likely won’t). All I see is someone coming on a social platform, being volatile because the internet allows for ambiguity without repercussion. Where I was born and raised, if this occurred in person you would likely be picking up your teeth off the ground.

I have nearly 3200 hours and still don’t consider myself as elitist, hardcore, or anything else. I play 2-4 hours like every other day. I don’t see the issue with the random blocks.

If Mr. Fence is a viewer of human nature you can ignore my reply.

Chesterton’s Fence at its simplest is the idea that one should first understand why something is the way it is before they approach changing it. Seizing upon a topic without being sufficiently informed can strike blindly at key underlying fundamentals that tie into a larger necessary structure.

In Crate’s case this is a thematic choice that differentiates their product from the others on the market. While D3 and PoE are played on overlay autopilot the very essence of GD calls for an engaging world and the roadblocks were one such compromise to bring that about.

Calls for the removal of roadblocks have been demonstrated to run parallel to overlay autopilot play that Crate wishes to mildly dissuade.

If the complaint is about roadblocks limiting quantity of runs we are not debating roadblocks, we are debating loot efficiency and there are other methods to address this without removing roadblocks. In this case of boosting loot efficiency it is a lack of big picture understanding that drives the suggestion which has unintended consequences beyond what is desired. Throwing the baby out with the bath water as it were.

It’s when people come along with a chisel removing foundational elements to influence a few end results you’ll see people speaking out loudly in protest.

3 Likes

This is exceptionally true. No space for me to argue this. Bravo!

I think I’ll go read that now…:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.