Screenshots Posted!

Well done!

The overall tone of the game pleases my eye. A grim story needs a grim palette and you hit that perfectly. Not dull like Hellgate London, neither cartoony like Diablo 3 or Torchlight.

Some fear the darkness, but I revel in it! :wink:

Edit: Why not use lighbox.js 2.0 as the gallery script? This way of presentation is very clumsy.

Edit2: What’s the status of the images? Can we post them to Facebook or use on a blog? Can we edit them for example to add some overlay information like game name, alpha status or similar? Could Crate produce those versions so we have a more complete press material at hand? :wink:

The UI should ideally blend with the game, not stand out. Play the game, not the UI :wink:

Long live the Laws of Simplicity!

That’s right. I found that many Diablo fans hoped for more gothic and eerie world for D3, with many wishes for light radius in darker place, instead of comical warcraft-ported influence. Well for me anything is ok as long as it is fun to play.

Can’t wait to see UI too. Oh i wanna see soo much…all the inventory, item tooltips, skill… /patience

Well, keep up the good work. Keep the fans feed periodically with eye candy. We guys are hungry you know :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like a great start. Can’t wait to see more, and just to see how this progresses, too.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beautifulllllll awesome hope to see some gameplay

Once the tools are released you should be able to mod just about anything that doesn’t require code changes.

I think screenshots prior to the game are kind of evil :mad:

Like others have stated: It looks grim and I love the blood.

I can’t wait to delve into the world of Cairn.

We haven’t implemented it yet but we do plan to create a settings options to turn off blood / gore. While there is an large audience that wants to see blood and gore effects, we realize there are also many who do not.

I love the TQ light so much. It’s one of its great qualities. I hope I’ll find it a little bit in GD and not only darkness.

The design of these screenshots is fine and familiar for TQ fans but I’m happy to read :

It’s beautyful but don’t forget the daylight please !

you realize, i hope, that they probably not only would NOT sue you, but would likely PAY you for the product placement, right? id get on the phone with them… cha ching! :slight_smile:

Keep the good work. I like the explosions.

I think the difference between $$$ and a lawsuit is the difference between calling before or calling after. :wink:

Am I going crazy or did you guys remove a few screen shots?

I think Rhis just increased the size so instead of 2 rows of 4 there is 2 rows of 3 and a row of 2. Probably looks like one is missing.

I’m happy to see blood. Something TQ desperately lacked.

I can’t really share the enthusiasm. I agree with one of the first posters in that battle.net forums thread - it does look like a piece of brown, it’s monotonous.

On the other hand, it has an original, sullen atmosphere. And it’s just one location/environment.

At first when I saw the screen shots, I was kinda thinking the same thing (monotonous/turd like). But now I look and I got a little excited, because there was more color than I originally thought. Not to mention that they were taken during the nightcycle… AHEM… so… why haven’t you guys posted daylight cycle shots, hm?

ADDITION: A little bit Resident Evil 4-esque, don’t ya think?

To be perfectly honest, we kind of rushed these screenshots out as part of our effort to pass approval with a new merchant services provider. I think part of our grief with PayPal stemmed from the fact that there was no tangible evidence of a real game on our website. Once you gain enough exposure to the complicated world of business you start to understand the tangled mess of intertwined decision-making that sometimes forces companies into doing things that don’t seem to make sense on the surface but are unfortunately necessary.

I agree with some of the posters on the battle.net forums also. I’m glad to have finally got some screenshots out and to be getting critical feedback from people. We’re hoping to replace those with better screenshots in a week or so. We have a new batch of art assets near completion and want to get those in-game first.

We’re also still playing around with the lighting and ambient settings, which I imagine will go on for months before we’re completely satisfied. It is tough to achieve the right balance with gloom and color. Ultimately we have no illusions though that we’ll make everyone happy. The reality is that different people have different tastes and sometimes they’re mutually exclusive. I think we can get a little closer to the middle-ground though and have different environments that appeal to different groups of people.

:stuck_out_tongue: I’d like to see an “artbook” in the media section, so that we can see how you change/improve the art … or in other words: please do not remove the current screenshots, but move them to an archive. :smiley:

Getting Real by 37signals explains it better, than I ever could. Especially chapter 4 goes to the point in “Make Oppinionated Software”. This applies even outside the realm of the Webapps.

Only a prostitute tries to please all. Please take a stance and defend it! And don’t forget to Have an Enemy! :wink: