Shattered Realms - hardcore vs softcore

Same? In SC I can die 5 times in every boss room and still finish it and get my loot. In HC I lose my toon, items and all the progress up to this point. You don’t play HC and can’t appreciate its Pros and cons. But the game has to be balanced towards all its modes, or am I on crack??

If you don’t play HC and have zero interest or understanding of its struggles, why post comments at all?

3 simple suggestions:

Add checkpoints every 5 levels after 75.

Add a penalty for SC - death in SR = restart at the last checkpoint. This is still vastly more fair than deleting the toon and all items, right?

Replace arcane debuff with some other less cheesy spell.

See? I will even ignore the broken healing mechanics and let every dog and basilisk heal every boss and celestial creature to full life.

Bad suggestions?

Since you brought up testers I guess I’ll share some details from before the FG release. Because I play exclusively HC I learned about a large gap between SC and HC relatively late into FG testing. Once I did I asked if it’s really ok and said it would be fair if SC players were booted from SR on death to narrow the gap (essentially similar to Crucible), but the response I got from Zantai was that HC players being unable to go as deep as SC players is a natural thing and isn’t fundamentally wrong.

I did manage to narrow the gap between HC and SC with my feedback - initially bosses didn’t heal to full health if you die, so I showed how you could literally throw your corpses to bruteforce your way. Even got flamed by another tester for being the cause for this change.

1. Completely agree, currently everyone just speedruns 75-76 to measure how good the build is. I think it’s against the spirit of SR.
  2. Ideally that dispell should have had just disabled auras for X seconds, with Disruption protection reducing this time. Temporary buffs still purged.
  3. Yeah, but it’s less relevant for SR than it is for the Crucible. I don’t feel strongly about it.
  4. No comments.

Don’t bother, the typical response is “noone forces you play HC”.

2 Likes

This is what I wanted to see. Thank you.

In the end even if they just add the checkpoints, it will help us a lot. But I really hope to see the rest of the points addressed as well.

P.S.: out of curiosity, how far were you able to reach in HC SR?

A new Deathly Waystone is coming in v1.1.5.0 that allows you to push beyond 75 with loot disabled for those that want to push the limits.

Honestly, the Celestial Waystone that added checkpoints past 60 was a mistake since it gave some people the idea that it’s going to be farmable. Some people’s expectation that 75-76 should be a standard of performance is simply never going to be a thing.

3 Likes

Not talking about farming here. Pushing only. Challenge yourself and your build. Invite your friends to beat your top results. Things like these give us more replayability. We love this game and want more of it.

As for farming, we are already speedfarming 80s anyway :wink: no complaints here.

I know people love to hate the Arcane heroes, and given different tech I would probably make the mechanic a little different such as disabling buffs rather than requiring re-toggling, but overall I think they were a reasonable addition to the game and serve their purpose well.

Healers are working exactly as intended. What you describe is a plus, not a minus. Target priority matters.

The penalty in the Shattered Realm is fine as is. Dying costs you time, which costs you loot chests if you miss the timer.

There is never going to be a balance between SC and HC play because they simply have different priorities. SC players can afford to be more reckless. HC players prioritize stability/predictability. This is not a bad thing, but expecting this predictability from a game mode specifically created to be unpredictable is just not going to happen. At the same time, there is a reason SR achievements stop at Shard 25 and the unique armor stops at 60.

5 Likes

It’s, well, complicated a bit. Results I had when I was testing I couldn’t call fair because I revived my characters for the sake of testing (all of which were deleted after FG was released). Since then I just didn’t push SR.

For simplicity let’s just say I never was at 65 on HC.

1 Like

Does this mean that we will be able to start at 80, 85, 90 highest checkpoint?

The thing is, we are having a small competition in HC right now, trying to beat 91. Going 75-91 is many times more difficult and time consuming than 90-91.

The current SR record in SC is around 115 I believe. In HC I want to say the record is mid-80s low-90s. The final SR shard is 200.

But indeed, anything past 60 is “not balanced”, by design.

1 Like

Just don’t get hit 4Head

Focus the healer

I wouldn’t mind. Currently the challenge is to reach x shard in one run from 75-x, which also seems fine.

SC will always push higher than HC, because it has less risk, even if you make a dead SC char restart at the last checkpoint instead of current chunk. I think they should make a dying SC char lose the time chest though (reduce timer to 0 when dead), to make dying in SC at least a little more punishing.

I can confirm a shard 90 record in HC.

My personal best was shard 70 so far.

Unless there is video evidence of the whole lifetime of that character, there is no “confirmation” of any HC record since this is not a server based game.

Not to mention whether the transferred gear from stash from previous characters is legit.

1 Like

There is/was, Reinan22 streamed it live.

Now imagine that you are attacked by multiple mobs and there are resistance reductions debuffs already put on you. If there’s any incoming damage of the same type and your auras are removed = insta RIP. SC -> annoying loss of a few seconds. HC -> loss of a fully geared toon with all the rarest items that took hundreds of hours to farm.

SR75-76 is far more farmable, that Crucible 151-170. It’s a fact.

Oh, trust me. You don’t wanna be the “fact” guy.

Nah, we already have one of those. :upside_down_face:

Wait, does your character not permanently die if you die in SR in HC?

Your character dies permanently on SR in HC, like everywhere else in the game.

HC, you die and that’s it. In SC, there’s no punishment whatsoever, you don’t even lose your shard progress. If you have enough damage, can die multiple times on every map and still finish on time. Of course people will say SR is well balanced. After I tried it in SC, it felt way too easy. Just run 75-76 for a few hours on a loop and get every item under the sun.

I find SR too random for my tastes and understand the randomness is a selling point for others. Though my biggest disappointment is the structuring of the Shattered Souls buff and the mosh pit that chunk 4 presents. The real build check happens on chunk 4, you’re spoon fed the first three chunks with a massive damage buff.