SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

This does bring a bit of peace to my anxiety xD. I do, however, expect that Yugol never becomes relevant to the plot. I like the Chthon mythos way to much to see his spotlight stolen by a random newcomer.

Where exactly is the new lore note on Calla? I read someone mentioning it was in the last part of Tomb of the Heretic but that is a bit vague.

I’d buy a short story collection from the dudes who write lore notes.

I can’t remember exactly where, i do know it was in a hidden room/area somewhere on the east side.

As Mauricius said, it’s in a hidden area

Between the merchant and the boss room, you can walk behind some rocks on the edge of the map

There’s also another hidden area in the first key-locked part of the tomb btw. Not sure if there are more…

1 Like

I actually found that area (with the Hidden Spoils?) but couldn’t get a Note to drop. :frowning:

You’re in the right place. The only thing left to do is to HULK SMASH everything. :wink:

1 Like

Anyone know if there is a lore about the gazer?
I always wondered where he was coming from. I mean, I know he is an aetherial corruption creature so I guess he was some kind of animal before being transformed under the influence of aether magic but what could it be? An ugly seagull maybe?

2 Likes

gazer…well seems they constructed by different part of body flesh of any kind of human or animal. Big eyes seems to watch over the aetherial process and human activities… but who is watching ? atherlords or just high ranking aetherial possessed human commanders ???..

1 Like

I think they are mere wifi cameras for aether commanders on the field. I don’t think they can “broadcast” to the aether, they look quite weak relative to the rest of the aether forces, and even the likes of Anasteria can’t communicate directly to the Aether Council.

3 Likes

@Zantai, hi Big Z! Can you please change the drop rate of Memories of Morgoneth to 100%? I only realized how rare this note is when I got it for the first time tonight. It also makes it consistent with the 100% drop rate of lore notes from boss NPCs. (ie. Korvaak, Karroz, Amalgamation, Allostria, Theodin, etc.)

+1 to this

I didn’t realize it existed till I read the wiki or maybe I got it from him and read it but didn’t read the title. Not sure

@Adam_Bomb
When I saw your post I was half asleep so i only read your first name and thought my manager was stalking me on the Grim Dawn forums

1 Like

Morgoneth’s lore note is deliberately a rare drop as it offers some unusual insights that go outside of the story told by the rest.

Think of it as Legendary loot for lore hunters. :smiley:

7 Likes

This topic is interesting, even with people writing wrong and confusing posts that are being corrected by other people all the time :smiley:

The lore is so much more interesting than in Diablo 3, and probably other Diablo games.

I wonder what is south of Prison, there is another ruined bridge there. tubemate authorityapk

1 Like

Nothing we’ll ever see. Was supposed to be a possible new area there long, LONG ago, but it’s unlikely the devs will do anything with it now since the game is pretty much finished and development winding down plus not a great idea to be heading south as far as camera angles go.

Yeah, Yugol is basically the “Nothing” from the Neverending Story. Even the story of how the people who were exposed to his realm for too long went crazy and wanted to jump into it to be destroyed resembles what happened in the Neverending Story books.
It’s just unfortunate that Ch’thon’s realm is also called the Void… which word indicates nothingness but clearly it is not that and is full of obsidian and slag.

Btw, let’s talk about Slith! I mean we know a lot of their creation story, having found Hargate’s notes. But I just remembered… Ulgrim also tells a story about them, and well, he has been around a LONG time and knows a lot about Erulan. Of course when I first read his stories it was in Alpha and I did not suspect this “simple cook” would become so much more. But now… considering he says the Empire wanted amphibious soldiers, it could be that Hargate had imperial funding. Just maybe they did not expect the Arcanists to oppose his research this much. Still, wonder why they did not swoop in to take the Slith and use them as troops in some way, later. They are clearly possessing some intelligence, given their shamanistic ways.

The various horrific amalgams in Malmouth are also Aetherial corruptions… does not mean they are made from one body. My guess would be… we do not see the regular Aetherial zombies having eyes, yes? Maybe they take them out, mix them with other body parts and that’s what they are made of.

I’d buy a book like that - I bought several Diablo III lore/artbooks. And Grim Dawn has a much more interesting history than that world.

Dreeg referred to him taking Korvaak’s power. He realized he alone cannot do it, and Solael would become as bad as Korvaak was unchecked, so he basically checked all futures (same as Dr Strange in Endgame) and saw that he needs to form a Trinity (same as Julius Caesar did!) with Bysmiel added so the three will always keep each other in check. That is his way… but we don’t see any more plans later, even when you talk to him (Draellus IS Dreeg) he does not hint at what your role in the conflict is.
I do agree with you that Ch’Thon is the ultimate big bad of the franchise. The Aetherials worry they cannot stop him if he awakens, Korvaak and Mogrdogen both fear him… and think, so far you only met with deluded humans following his orders and his seemingly mindless fiends. Surely, The Loghorrean was Ch’thon’s Voice. I bet he also has a Hand… and an Eye… and many other monsters that carry out his will, maybe elsewhere in the world.

2 Likes

Except we have fought the mightiest of all Chthonian forces - the Ryloks, we visited the Void’s Edge and came back unscathed, we practically solo’d Log.
Now I am wondering what else does the Void has to offer considering their mightiest foot soldiers and one of their mightiest beings got stomped so easily.

Aetherials have way more juice left in them judging from what we have heard so far, of course not all of them are violent towards humanity. Chthon is no doubt powerful but his armies seem weak and useless at this point, quite frankly Crate needs to do something in GD II to make Chthonian Forces more relevant in terms of power.

Well i suppose the more blood Ch’thon collects, the more powerfull he can make his minions.

I am pretty sure there are more powerful things in the Void than Ryloks. I mean if we have asked before the expansion, everyone would have said the most powerful things there were the Dreadguards/Tyrants, before the lore changed.
And we have yet to see any of the Void Fiends sent over actively directing the efforts of the Bloodsworn. Unlike Aetherials, here it seems mostly the humans were in charge of things when the Loghorrean was freed.

I bet the Void has an army of Grava Thul`s ready to be unleashed at the right moment.
I can imagine Grava being a higher ranking representative of the actual Chtonian main forces - with what we have seen so far being their Vanguard of sorts.
And from lore point of view it seems that indeed the more “blood” is expended - the more powerful the Chtonic entities.
Perhaps Chtonic forces are really unstoppable given sufficient blood fuel available (that is Chton himself)
and the only reason they might seem weak so far is that Chton has just begun awakening and gathering his forces.
As all Celestial characters in the game openly say - the worst is yet to come! (hinted by Mog, Ravager, Korvakk and Dreeg).

You guys make a fair point. Maybe the worse is yet to come.

One thing I’d like to point out, @Glimpse I don’t think Dreeg ever showed any concern for Chthon’s advancements. His primary focus seems to be Yugol. Although I could’ve missed a lore note or two, so maybe I’m wrong here.