SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

Yeah, that is probably the reason why Kymon’s chosen are at the tomb

Name of song playing?

Also, what is your build? and you didn’t include the Bourbon fight. But never mind
Found it here

Regarding the Aetherians/Aetherials, Chthonics/Chthonians, I don’t think it’s a typo per se, but the lore entry has been unchanged since naming was still in flux. In my mind:

Chthonian=Of the earth itself, possessing qualities of the earth.
Chthonic=Somebody supporting Chthon, Chthonians, even though they might not be of the earth themselves. (For example human cultists. Those are chtonics in my book.)

The same with aetherials/aetherians.

Aetherial in my mind speaks of their substance, made of aether, while aetherians would suggest their origin, that they come from the Aetherian plane/veil whatever.

Ulto is laying low. And it kind of pisses me off how - in terms of relative power at the moment you meet them - Zaria is a pushover bouncer, and Thalonis a showoff bouncer, while good ol’ Sal who can wipe any toon easily has build a wall and hidden himself from the world. I know that living in the countryside reduces stress, but come on man, you’ve got to take Burrwitch! Where’s your aggression?:smiley:

Now, lore…

Empyrion is surely scarce for a winner. Usually, in this kind of wars between gods, the winner stays and rules. But here, in a backwards sense, people seem to generally honor the A2 class of demigods (the three witch gods, Oleron, Menhir etc etc), while completely forgetting about the one that set all this in motion. Meanwhile, cultists still honor and mourn a not-so-forgotten dying god.

Seeing how the knowledge of Empyrion is uncovered beneath some obscure village by a man who is an inquisitor, (but at some point his story was about starting on this quest after burning his patron’s estates and emerging unharmed) it is safe to say that worship of Empyrion was not that hot for many years. And after that, we get the messenger himself declaring that Empyrion is gone, but Korvaak is primordial? So, if the knowledge uncovered is that of Korvaak and not Empyrion, why would the messenger mention Empyrion? Mogdrogen also mentions Empyrion. And even though Empyrion was the child of Chthon that killed him, Korvaak was not mentioned by Mogdrogen at all. Korvaak doesn’t even have a tiny star devoted to him also, making it tough to understand what the hell he’s been doing during the creation, because Chthon was planting trees of life and stuff.

Maybe in the very beginning Korvaak and Chthon were the same being?

This topic is interesting, even with people writing wrong and confusing posts that are being corrected by other people all the time :smiley:

The lore is so much more interesting than in Diablo 3, and probably other Diablo games.

I wonder what is south of Prison, there is another ruined bridge there.

Same here wondering about Old Grove (area south of prison)

As for the lore, Diablo 1 has little to none and Diablo II had a great one. The way the presented it was fun.

As for D3, it’s a decent RPG for casuals but is far from a Diablo game. Even after Reaper of Souls the color palette seemed wrong and didn’t seem dark enough. The story was dumb in vanilla. It had promise in RoS but turned to shit when Malthael absorbed the soulstone. Heck, i personally hated how we casually became an Aspect of Death.

I get it, D3 has the “Diablo” name on it, it has Blizzard/Activision’s name (Not the devs of D1 & D2 btw, that was Blizzard North) it has many things going for it. But seriously i’d appreciate it if the name Diablo 3 is kept our in Lore discussion thread since it seems out of place, you guys are welcome to judge my opinion in a different thread.

My main point is I don’t want to get sidetracked from lore discussion, since the GD lore is baffling as it is. Also, GD is the better of the two games and is definitely more of a Diablo successor than Diablo III can ever hope to be.

Fun fact, a member of the team Eric Sexton worked on the Diablo 1 and Diablo II lore.

Lastly, all of this was just my opinion

:D:D:D:D:D
Lol

“living in the countryside reduces stress”:D:D:D

Well, I don’t know about Chthonians, but Aetherials you are right about. Aetherials, as they’re called now were initially servants of the old Gods. When they’d served their purpose they were cast into the formless aether.

Actually, Chthon wasn’t planting anything. His son(s) killed him and his blood was used by the ones who betrayed him to fuel their own creations.

As for Korvaak, he has a shrine devoted to him. It’s a hidden area

It’s unlikely korvaak and Chthon are the same, since judging from Uro’s notes it seems even Chthonians seem disturbed by whatever it is that has awoken Northeast of Burwitch

Also, when does Mogdrogen mention Empyrion?

You can talk to him about Empyrion, or rather, about what Kymon has done/awoken, though that option may only come up if you’ve sided with the Chosen, and you don’t get more than a few foreboding cryptic hints for an answer anyways.

Sorry guys, i think for those who don’t know this yet but a new version of the game is out

I just found out about it myself.

and it has new quests (Final faction quests)

It’d be much more prudent if those of us (including myself) who haven’t tried it play it and then move on with this discussion

EDIT: I can’t find appropriate info.

I get some dialogue options in the Localization files for Outcast’s revenge quest, the wikia has the head of Thalonis, A new npc seems to have been introduced. I am not sure

Can someone please post here what all has been added to the game?

What new version? Where? When? Whodunnit?

I am just as confused as you.
Here’s what made me think there is one

[SPOILER]Wikia has something called Thelon’s head, it’s a quest item for Outcast’s revenge, the final quest for Outcast faction.

The localization files i downloaded from a link posted earlier in this thread revealed details to A pledge to cairn quest which is the final quest for both the factions (Order and Chosen)

I saw dialogues with some new npc called Kory?

I see the Outcast witch revealing new things like how she and Thelon were the first to step on Cairn. But possessing a human made her change her mind about her kind’s actions.
She and her kind are trying to make sure that Chthon never awakens/breaches the barrier of worlds

[/spoiler]

Btw if you mention Empyrion to Mogdrogen his reaction seems strange. And his dialogue confirms that Kymon has the backing of something vile.

Dialogue with the messenger reveals it is Korvaak and that Empyrion is gone(dafuq?). He apparently left. Korvaak is a primordial who has it in for Chthon.

The scribes notes indicate the Shrine of Forgotten God was recently visited, which means it has to be the shrine to Korvaak. So take a good look at his awesome character model.

Uroboruuk mentions that he has know this presence but now had forgotten, this aligns with what Kymon says, “Korvaak walked amongst us once” The remains of that form/avatar/incarnation is the Eye of the Korvaak

My theory, you guys is that Empyrion somehow went mad and became to be known as Korvaak. I say this cause why on earth would Archon Batholeon (can’t spell his name, too lazy to google) ally himself with the Chosen. Heck, a dialogue with him indicates he’s servent of Empyrion.

Plus, the tone of this game has been very dark (Diablo II dark, remember Marius?) So, i won’t be surprised that a good deity went bad. And the fact that Mogdrogen never mentions Korvaak when we ask about Empyrion or when he speaks about Kymon and the Chosen indicates they could be the same beings.

And a request can someone explain to me what the heck are Primordial, Ascendant deities? And what are the other deity tiers revealed so far. I must’ve missed it or forgotten it.

And a request to the developers (don’t know how many of you agree with me) We have the Outcast faction, which is more or less like siding with Aetherials but in a good way. In the same way, i would like to request for a enemies of humanity type faction (with respect to Chthon lore) cause reading the lore so far makes me think that no matter what the reason, what happened to Chthon was unjust, his inability to die made him feel the suffering of the deaths of millions of beings with his blood running down their veins. He is only trying to take what is his. That is the righteous way to look at it.
The other way is that if he is indeed evil, then beings with his blood shouldn’t exist as it is a cruel act to allow them to exist without them knowing that the blood in their veins is as vile and tainted as the ones they’re fighting.
The last way is that too make Chthon suffer humanity should wiped out so that he endures the agony of their deaths.

Also, i personally would like to fight alongside this guy http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Clarity_of_Valor

Aha yes forgot about that quest for the outcast about that head. It has been in previously localization files. I think that should trigger the dialog which reveals who she really is. I do wonder who still visit the shrine of the forgotten god. Also at the secret area where Dravis found the ritual, on which his father didn’t completed, the body laying on the ground seems the have a different player skin/model. However i can’t see it correctly due the rift sitting on top of it.

Primordial = existed before the world cairn etc.
Ascendant = mortal once and now immortal/god.

Localization files sometimes contain things that are not yet in game, or irrelevant. They come and go with the builds, and some of us have to work with them for translations. The final quest is one of them but the area is not ready yet. Kory is in game and gives backers their DLC items.

Primordial and Ascendants are explained when you hover over the affinities in the Devotion window. Mogdrogen says he’s an ascendant and indirectly implies he was once mortal. On what world, I don’t know, since the creation of Cairn should have come after the war of gods and the dismemberment of chthon, during which war Mog was created in order to help.

This cosmogony is too confusing, no wonder people have ended up worshipping lidless heathens, reckless widowers and cheated ragers.:smiley:

Well, I’ll be darned. Zantai did show up. Ceno was right afterall

Thanks, but how do you explain the wikia having an image of Archivist Thelon.
Also, one of the notes from one of Cronley’s men said (two people, a man and a woman with green eyes) Thelon and Anasteria (Can’t spell her name either) are the prime candidates for that.

As for Mogdrogen, that arrogant sob calls us a fool for even asking a genuine question. But his constellation lore indicates he was created before cairn during the war of Gods by them. He served the same purpose as Aetherials, only he didn’t get betrayed (good thing he didn’t cause we get to kill him.)

Also,

John Bourbon boss fight shows him to be a Celestial, i am guessing that’s just the devs on acid?

Probably Kymon himself. Or you know couples trying to “release the frustration” ;););):p:p:p

That probably is Dravis after a failed ritual attempt. The father is definitely Uroboruuk

@Zantai

After going through a bunch of posts i figured out you guys accidentally broke the game (overstatement to be honest, but didn’t know how else to put it. Sorry if you feel offended but english isn’t my primary language.)

I am running the original version released in Feb(B31 IIRC)

I know this much, that the current version’s chest/trove runs drop Legendaries like candies in Charlie’s factory.

So am i missing anything lore wise by not upgrading to the current version?

If you look a my post in a older topic: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=334928&postcount=23

The layout in the tomb of the forgotten god and also the links are interesting to read a bit.

Dahlia did write about here brother being a ghost so if the ritual didn’t worked than that explains it.

The head is a quest item that someone probably extracted from the database and posted the icon.

It could be them that negotiated with Cronley, but then again seeing how he put their heads on a stake, it could be any duet of possessed archmages. They have green eyes too.

Mogdrogen… you don’t question a god. Ever. Unless you got the dps, resist reduction and resistances. Then you can question them all you want.:stuck_out_tongue:

I am missing something here (haven’t fought him yet had a few doubts whether it would put me at odds with rovers, now it’s cleared). Resist reduction? On normal? He’s buffed to do that? or is it on elite and ultimate