SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

Shower thought with basically no supporting evidence whatsoever:

Is Ravager an agent of Yugol? They both want to consume everything, after all.

From Zantai’s reply it seems not. :slight_smile:

And if I recall correctly, the celestial stars, aka. devotion points, are the only thing keeping the darkness of yugol away.

while that might be true for top class gods like korvaak and empy, some gods like mogdrogen (lightning, beast summons) have limited domains and probably can handle non-dominant damage type albeit with weaker results.

Ulzuin’s deal with wine concubines are just a case of a god wanting to enjoy mortal pleasure with no cares whatsoever because they’re gods. pride, hubris and all that.

ulzaad? that herald of physical and internal damage? he’s more likely to be the temple steward who has a halberd MI that dealt heavy physical damage from the power of stars themselves or so. Korvaak has many generals, the herald and the messenger are most likely to be different beings. yet the messenger’s perpetual state of rage and fire seems to be heavily influenced by korvaak/ulzuin? i myself think that there’s a part of ulzuin that’s infused into the messenger. though the messenger never mention any specific hatred toward bysmiel, so this theory is unlikely.

some people says that she places a sigil around the steelcap district’s rift or something like that. probably to limit the strength and numbers of aetherials that can exit that rift. i dunno. bysmiel has webs all around the place, so she definitely has part in defeating loghorrean too.

we still lack the infos for mogdrogen’s creator/tales of his ascendancy. gonna have to wait for those.

so some random hobos could bring yugol closer by choosing builds that uses yugol constellations. this is the same logic as chaos builds using dying god constellation to destroy loghorrean. or even more hilarious, fire builds using korvaak constellation to usurp korvaak himself.

derpy taken: “hi korvaak, i’m gonna kill you by using powers i gained from worshipping you! too bad you can’t respec my constellation!”

Did you notice Korvaan gods are actually named after Egyptian gods ? like:

Rahn = Ra
Horran = Horus
Atepth = Aapep ( Apophis )
Sethan = Set
Nepos = Nephthys
Osry = Osiris
Ariath = Arensnuphis ( Also known Nubian god Ariath )

İnteresting

So no wonder Korvaav civilization based on old Egypt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is Alekander a Germans name? Are the aetherials Germans. I mean Blitzkrieg was too obvious. Does that make the Ch’thonians the USSR?

I have so many questions.

Maybe Erulan empire is based on german or saxon empire or similar…that is why aetherials names german because of that arcanists names also german I guess

most of the aetherial vip people we’ve seen are from erulan empire itself. erulan seems to be the civilization that defines the victoria era settings of grim dawn. so the names of erulan figures are pretty much a mix of european nations. alexander originates from greek btw (alexander the great). theodin marcel… i dunno. anasteria and korinia… fantasy name? hagarrond… nobody knows where he is now and what his name means.

the bloodsworns and chthonians looks like erulan people mixed with gothic style and occultist/satanist cults aided by chthulhu-style demons. its not exclusive to russia. its still very european though.

btw the covenant of ugdenbog and barrowholm is kinda interesting cultural mix of european/african/native american combined with wild amazonian jungle setting. maybe the closest real world equivalent would be colonialist era new spain/england/portuguese colonies in america which mingles with the natives.

arkovia seems to be very sumerian/babylonian in style. but the rhowari looks pretty similar with the erulan. though with more nomadic wagon and tents.

korvan culture is a mix of egyptian/indian/mesopotamian arts. korvaak’s 4 arms is similar to vishnu with the 4 arms.

2 Likes

So I am wondering some years from now what GD2 would bring us lore wise. I am also wondering about alternative endings from FG.

What if:

• We were to late and Dravis would have killed Uroboruuk. Would he be able to reach and beat Korvaak.

• Uroboruuk killed Dravis. Would he be able to reach and beat Korvaak.

• The Witch Gods losts and Korvaak returned completely.

Perhaps Korvaak let the Witch Gods win previously, just to test to see how they handle themselves as gods etc.

1st March stream:

“Just in terms of the story to be perfectly honest I feel like to do the story justice at this point we need to do something much bigger than an expansion. And there’s all this stuff, those of you who are paying attention to the dialogue will know Ulgrim and the Emperor, there’s something going on there, the Emperor’s son, those are all big stories that would really need a lot of dedication to do them justice. And how far you get from the capital would just seem insufficient.”

12th July stream:

"Any plans for the NPC found in the Fleshworks to make another appearance?

So his story is not going to finish with Forgotten Gods, his story is for things beyond. Which is more of a sequel."

1 Like

its official then. crate’s gonna continue all the big lore stuff on gd2. the next rigg’s roguelike dungeon will probably only bring small lore stuff. i do prefer crate focusing on their new town game project before making gd2.

Well, certainly for the main storyline a sequel is looking more likely than yet another expansion. Zantai’s also said there are a few projects that need to be done before they decide whether to make GD2 or not. It’s going to depend on a lot of things methinks.

The world of Cairn deserves a sequel, that’s for sure. Let’s hope that the next Crate game becomes another commercial success. Personally I’ll welcome one or two more loyal packs, maybe digging a bit into the lore while they’re at it.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I just finished FG and, at the Korvaak death, I’m sure I heard a voice say something like “balance must be maintained (…)” .
Does anyone know who this voice belongs to?

That voice belongs to Dreeg.

Perhaps they’ll pull a Beowulf/Grendel and GD2 will actually be Glorious Dawn :wink:

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but there seems to be an area prepared for an upcoming expansion. Strait South from Devils Crossing there is a road leading to a broken bridge (just like the one leading West). It looks to be a large-ish self contained region between two rivers. It would look to hold just about as much territory as Ashes Of Malmouth. I wonder what will be in store for us there? Unless it’s a red herring.

Old, OLD, red herring. We’re never going south over that bridge. There was a very early video of the Old Grove area many years ago, but nothing further was done with it and Zantai has said several times that it’s not a good camera angle for players heading that direction.

As you can see that thread is from 2010.

That area is called the “Old Grove” and it will not be a area that’s going to be used.

Aw medea beat me to it.

I do believe that the new upcoming roguelike dungeon is located at the “Maw Of Apesh”

no, it is not, Alexander the Great had that name way before Germany was a thing :wink: It is greek in origin…