[Suggestion] Let's give Morguul's Mortality the Gargabol treatment! (Mod provided for testing proposed changes)

Let me just preface this thread by saying that I had about 20 hours in the car last week driving around for vacation, so I gave this weapon plenty of thought. I have only seen one single build posted that uses it and that is my Rotting Putrifier - Acid/Vitality DW Gunslinging Dark One Sentinel. Only reason I used it in that build was for the dual damage types it supports as well as the RR proc. Other than that, I’ve seen it mentioned in several threads, but it is always glossed over.

Now I understand that not every item is made to be great and useful as there are lots of items that are never used. I tend to root for the underdog and seek out the underperforming combos or items and try to make them work. I noticed when improving my Sentinel that Morguul’s Mortality supports NB/Necro/Occultist and thought that it would be really difficult to build effective classes with the item as it is, and I was right. The lack of conversion from Cold to Vitality makes it not work at all. This was a problem with Corruption of Gargabol as well with the classes it supports, but the rework made it an excellent weapon worthy of Defilers/Pyromancers and to a lesser extent Sheildbreakers. You could possibly make a Vitality Purifier with Gargabol and Radaggan too… :thinking:

But enough of that. Here are my suggested changes to Morguul’s Mortality after making a mod for testing ideas:

Here are my thoughts on the changes I made to the base item:

• Add 100% chance of pass through to enemies - These class combos have terrible AOE potential with guns. Having said that, ABB strikes with both guns and pass through would give it some use as a pseudo-attack replacer, which these classes lack as well. Guns have low damage comparatively to melee, so the pass through isn’t OP. Item text would have to be changed to indicate pass through capability.
  • Remove -RR% proc - Can’t have a proc with pass through guns…
  • Increase Vitality Decay - Fits the theme better “accelerates rot and decay” and it hurts when reflected back when combined with the converted Frostburn from ABB/Elemental Awakening.
  • Add 45% Cold Damage converted to Vitality Damage - It’s a Vitality gun! Plus you are really limited in ways to convert the Cold to Vitality. Using the Blood Knight set BH conversion mod is possible for Reaper and Cabalist, but Witch Hunter gets screwed. I debated having this be Acid to Vitality, but that would mess up dual damage builds like my Sentinel and the Cold Damage is much more prevalent in these combos and therefore carries more weight. And you could possibly use it to make some weird combos like a DW Morguul’s Morgoneth Trickster… :smile:
  • +2 to Lethal Assault - NB gets almost no bonuses from the equipment choices for Vitality in this case. Blood Knight/Morgoneth/Dark One/etc. don’t give anything for NB, so very hard to get ABB/LA up there. I don’t think this is too much of a stretch overall since it’s just a little bit of flat damage from the buff.

Here are my thoughts on the skill modifiers I would like added:

• 15% Vitality Resistance to Veil of Shadow - Similar to Gargabol with TM. The downside is this is only within 5m of the character, so really only for fast-approaching enemies or bosses.
  • -100% Freeze Duration to ABB - Freeze just would be OP, so away it goes!
  • 100% Acid Damage converted to Vitality Damage to ABB - Gotta get that Acid converted somehow and there’s so few ways to change Acid to Vit. Plus we could get a nice red ABB effect! :+1:
  • +25% Skill Recharge Reduction to ABB - Gives Reaper/WH a pseudo-attack replacer. After hours of testing, this is just right in my opinion. ABB goes to 0.8 seconds with DW and is at a good point. Again, low WD with dual pistols and it only trashes very close, tight packs of trash just like pass through Primal Strike does. Low WD means no need to hit ABB with a damage modifier as well…
  • -25% Skill Energy Cost to ABB - Makes the cost manageable, not too high or low.
  • 8% Crit Damage to Possession - All these class combos have terrible Crit Damage and this could help in the damage output overall. Plus Possession is very defensive heavy, whereas Harbinger of Souls is balanced with attack/defense, so this helps balance it out with Possession… Plus it gives a slightly higher random chance to get a nice damage spike with a crit ABB on a pack.
  • 6% Skill Recharge Reduction to Possession - Combined with the ABB mod, this puts ABB at ~0.7 sec CD with Witch Hunter. It becomes be a decent procer and good pseudo-attack replacer. Also gives Hungering Void/Abominable Might lower CD so you can get that damage up since we’re lacking good skills. Plus this gives Cabalist a way to speed up those maxed out Bone Harvests to get some heavy-hitting damage against bosses/etc.
  • 45% Elemental Damage converted to Vitality to Possession - Much needed for Cabalist/WH to convert out the Seals of the Void proc Fire Damage/LA/Soul Harvest since your other equipment is tied up converting the Chaos Damage to Vitality instead. Makes it easier for Reaper to convert the Cold from Soul Harvest and Lethal Assault without having to have them both get converted on a Blood Knight-powered Bone Harvest.

If anything had to go, I would say the 6% Skill Recharge Reduction to Possession would be first to get axed. I’m really hoping that these changes could be considered for 1.1.8.0, but I’m doubtful with the release of the community translations this week. Worth a shot! :crossed_fingers:

Here’s the mod I made with my changes: morguulsmortalitychanges.zip (38.6 KB)
Extract to your Grim Dawn/mods directory and select it from the Custom Game in the main menu. You can purchase the weapon at the Devil’s Crossing vendor, but each test character below has them already.
Witch Hunter Grimtools: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAbB5QZ
Witch Hunter Download: _Morguuls WH.zip (1.0 MB)
Reaper Grimtools: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YZeAygQZ
Reaper Download: _Morguuls Reaper.zip (828.9 KB)
Extract the character to the save/user directory to play them in the mod after selecting the mod from the Custom Game menu.

Thanks for reading! Please contribute and give your thoughts and feedback so we can get this gun to a great place! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Those are good ideas, I can see the gun paired with an Hallanx off-hand for nuke ABB + DEE, scaling well with the additional CDR on Possession.

It makes me think, the gun was meant for vit decay so what about increasing the CD on ABB instead, and giving it a damage multiplier ? That would make it a huge decay nuke, and you could add an Ilgorr’s Eternal Curse (%wd to ABB) for even bigger ticks. Maybe then remove the CDR on Possession as you already have added crit damage, so that Reaper doesn’t feel left out. You can let the CDR as a global 4% on the gun.

However I’m not sure about the pass-through, it’s not that useful on ABB and it could be severely abused by defilers going Morguul + Gargabol, imagine gargabol fire strike but it now pierces targets…

1 Like

Good ideas here @Monceaux. I had thought about these very things as well.

Increasing CD on skills is weird in that it actually nerfs them like the increased CD to Ring of Steel on Chillheart even with a damage multiplier.

I think this happens since you can’t use it as frequently, so you lose the utility of it and you have a bigger chance of missing on the skill.

I gave the CD to Possession since Blood Knight Reaper gets all the toys - the set gives up to 10% CDR, multiple damage conversions that benefit Necro (Cold/Aether to Vit), Attack Speed, and it’s heavy armor. You can go Blood Knight Witch Hunter, but you lose out on 30%+ of Chaos to Vit conversion and you need to max that for Abominable Might as Occultist gets much less flat Damage in it’s skills versus Necro. My idea was to bring Occultist side of things up to speed versus Necro. Necro gets way more flat damage with Soul Harvest, so they tend to go Hungering Void so they get Crit Damage/Attack Speed with their Devotion choices (and Gargabols give Defilers another 16% Crit Damage as well).

About pass through with Defilers using one gun of each, there are trade offs in doing that. The biggest I think is that they only get one of the guns that passes through Fire Strike (Dagallon gets 2!). They also lose -15% Vit RR on Thermite Mines, 8% Crit Damage and +1 Demo. Those are big hits in my eyes where dual Gargabols works because you use 2 of them…

1 Like

Thanks @Zantai for making some changes to Morguul’s Mortality in 1.1.8.0!

Thank you for this - it is a step in the right direction and an improvement.

Now that I see you want to keep this weapon as a thematic dual damage Acid/Vitality pistol, I have 2 suggestions to add after having played around with an Oppressor, a Reaper, and a Cabalist using a similar loadout for them as my Sentinel build (mind that some resistances need improving…). I made some small changes to keep them very similar in terms of -RR% and of the weapon theme of Acid/Vitality. Having played the characters since the patch dropped, I am hoping you can add the following to the new version of Morguul’s Mortality.

• 100% Aether Damage converted to Acid Damage to Reaping Strike
  • 75(?) Acid Damage to Reaping Strike
  • 100% Chance to pass through enemies to Reaping Strike (not sure if this is possible to add to a single skill)
  • Add 120% Increased Duration for Poison as well to base pistol

This will enable those builds to utilize the Aether Damage inherent to Necro while “greatly increasing the rot and decay” of the weapon. Reaping Strike becomes a nice Acid/Vitality WPS and that flat Aether Damage from Spectral Binding can be put to use with this WPS here. These class combos absolutely need some AoE damage and the best of the bunch is the Oppressor with the pass through and heavier damage from Smite. The pass through will really help here with damage and -RR% application from Mortal Coil.

Both Reaper and Cabalist have less damage than Oppressor, so this will help them with AoE. Increased Poison Duration can help to bump up some DoT damage to some extent.

Overall, I think these additions are thematic and will help those class combinations (even if they are meme ranged builds right now…).

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to making GD the best game around! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.