The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

You play sc right? So dont care about armor. Infact most summoners have paper armor and still kill the super content. Just dont get hit :wink:

Yeah, this character is SC. I’m trying to keep this careful mentality in order to play hardcore in the future. The approach needs to be different if i wanna tackle that challenge.

its better to focus keeping your pets alive, they are your armor.

1 Like

They are good for shielding you but i don’t understand how aggro works very well. Sometimes they take all the aggro. Other times i have chargers on my neck all the time. How Generate Additional Threat works? I’m not using it but the Ishtar proc says Taunt target. Is it any different from the pets just drawing aggro to themselves? Is it a debuff?

All auras apply Pets fully. So pets get everything from them even if it doesn’t specifically state that it is for pets.

But when it comes to auras that also has a specific list of pet bonuses, your pets get the player part & the pet part while you only get the player part.

Regarding conversions, as @Ulvar1 said, the flat damage gets added first.

So part of the Flat phys dmg from Mogdrogen’s Pact gets converted into Vitality depending on how much conversion you have on the gloves.

However, the +% Phys does not apply to the part that gets converted.

So to give an example, On Ishtar, you have 32-42 Flat Physical dmg from Mogdrogen’s Pact along with +100% phys dmg to pets.

Let us say that you have 50% dmg conversion from phys to vitality on gloves.

Your pets gets 16-21 flat Vitality dmg from the Aura along with 16-21 flat Phys dmg.

And to that Phys dmg (and any other your pets might have, either innately or from other sources), that +100% phys dmg bonus gets added as well, along with any other source of +% phys dmg or +% all dmg.

Hope that clears it up.

1 Like

That build uses Lokarr Set to do Gladiator Crucible 150-170 without blessings or banners, kill Ravager and do SR 75-76 on Ultimate.

You don’t need armor on pet builds :stuck_out_tongue:

Pets aggro enemies by default. How much the value is, I am not sure. But different pets generate different amount of aggro/threat.

For example, you will find Briarthorn even without Ground Slam, holding aggro better than Familiar or Reap Spirit.

Now, Hellhound, Briarthorn and Blightfiend have special skills that generate aggro. The more point you invest into these skills, the better they become at holding aggro.

Taunt is a bit different as it more or less forces enemies to go after your pets instead of you whenever it procs, instead of simply generating threat.

Think of it as the highest level of Threat or Aggro your pets can generate. Outside of Ishtar’s proc, the only other one ingame is Briarthorn’s Ground Slam at 17 points. It changes from Generate Additional Threat to Taunt at 17/12.

However, bosses and such tend to have resistance against taunting. So that is also something to keep in mind. You can look up taunt resistance for enemies in GT’s monster database.

For example, Gravathul has 45% taunt resistance: https://www.grimtools.com/monsterdb/1154/skills
While Ravager has 75%: https://www.grimtools.com/monsterdb/364/skills

I am not sure on exactly how all these things interact on a mathematical basis, but in practice it just means that a Briarthorn with 1 point in Ground Slam (GS) will hold better aggro compared to a Briarthorn with 0 points in GS and a Briarthorn with 10 points in GS will hold aggro even better and at 17 points it becomes Taunt and hence much more effective.

And compared to Ravager, Grava will be more inclined to aggro on your pets most of the time due to lower taunt resistance.

1 Like

The 1.1.8.0 Ishtar build had a Sovereign Ruby of Domination amulet, while the 1.1.9.0 build has a Shard of Command amulet instead. Was that change intentional? Sovereign Ruby of Domination still seems like it’s a better item, no?

Thanks for all the information! Since Pet builds can get away with low armor then i shouldn’t need the 10000 damage absorption from the proc on the boots (Mythical Fiend Flesh Greaves). I want to equip a better set of gloves (i have four different options) but the pet elemental resistances on my gloves were too important. I should be able to equip the Mythical Grim Harvest Boots to compensate for the loss on the gloves and change those for the Mythical Touch of the Everliving Grove. Here is the Grim Tools link for the current state of my character: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4ZDPX1YZ.

I’m still losing a significant amount of elemental resistance on the pets. The gloves offers 37% resistances and the boots offer only 16%. The resistances go down to 71% but it should be fine right?

Boot proc is kinda one of the reasons why you can get away with low armor, definitely a must have for HC. Even SC players use them.

BTW, considering ravager eyes in the weapon and off-hand. Did you manage to improve spirit for wearing off-hand? If yes, you can respec out of spider

1 Like

Reason for the change was simple.
I wanted to see how lazy I could make the build without loosing too much in the process. With Ruby, you have 1 extra button to worry about and while it has nearly 400% dmg bonus over Shard, that only applies half the time due to CD.

Factoring in the CD of the skill, the total pet bonuses from Ruby becomes: +246% Pet dmg, +45 OA & +19.5% Crit dmg. That is still better I suppose since Crit is comparable on both and Shard only has a max 7% total speed as extra. But, like I said, 1 extra button press :stuck_out_tongue:

What @Ulvar1 said. Boot Proc is rather important. So I wouldn’t recommend switching that out.

If you need Pet Elemental Res, Switch out Keeper’s Dust Augments as they are useless (you are not lacking in pet vitality and stun + freeze res is irrelevant) and instead, go for Rifthound Salts.

1 Like

PDF guide updated, both online and downloadable versions.

1 Like

No, i couldn’t improve my spirit without sacrificing too many points in physique. I had to make the weapon self-sustain itself. I can remove and reequip it because of the Crown of Command but i couldn’t do it before because the off-hand would become unequippable and i would need another item to enable it again. I won’t keep the Crown forever. I’ll replace with the helm from the beastcaller set as soon as i find it. I already have two pieces of the set. But i’m also considering the Ghol set because of the change in damage type from physical to acid on the weapon. I’m not sure yet. I only have the gloves of the Ghol set.

I am having an existential crisis…

My Skeleton Pet build is the fastest build I have when it comes to Crucible and I have never had one that managed to complete it faster in any patch…

Not only that, I of all people managed to pilot it without losing a single Skeleton…

Omg lmao. I’m trying to get gear for the Ishtar build, and currently working with this char.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkGxYlN

I was doing Shattered Realm on Ultimate, and it was going great until I hit a wall at Shard 21 where I just can’t beat the boss chunk. I was like, omg, Maya’s guide said Shards 65-66! What’s going on why is my char underperforming so much?! I thought whoa, I feel like my gear is better than the budget stuff… I must be doing something wrong. I looked back at the guide, and read “Normal”. Rofl. Ohhhh.

Anyways, is there a benefit to running Veteran Normal SR vs Normal? I know Veteran spawns more monsters, but does that really make a difference in the SR at that low a difficulty? Also thinking about speccing out of Skeletons, they die way too often…

2 Likes

:rofl:

And Veteran is not worth it unless you find Normal too easy and want a challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sorry to keep asking so many questions lol…

My current char working up to the Ishtar build:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RVvDEdWN

I managed to find the blueprint for the Diviner’s Mask! I crafted 2 more, transmuted them, and have 3 set pieces now. I’m wondering if I can ditch Blight Fiends and Briarthorns once I get the 4th piece, or if I should wait till I get the gloves that give me some more minions for more clearing ability?

Just gotta get to Malmouth now in Ultimate to get some more Aethereal Missives to craft another piece for transmuting, lol… Or I could farm tainted brain matter but eh

1 Like

Feel free :stuck_out_tongue:

You only really need Diviner’s. So you can ditch them once you get the full set :yum:

The gloves are mostly just for the stats it provides (extra Vit dmg for pets). The minions from it are unreliable since it only procs if you get the kill on an enemy instead of your pets.

Ohhh. Good to know. That’s a bummer, they seem like mini Reap Spirit minions, would be cool if they procced off pet kills too lol. So the Deathrite Handguards I have are basically doing the same thing anyways then. Sweet! Thanks

1 Like

Hi Maya,
what Pet build would you say ist the strongest and best recommendation for new players?

The Fluffy Squishy - Pet Conjurer & Ishtar - Pet Ritualist are my strongest builds atm.

But of those, only Fluffy Squishy really lets you play the game without even paying attention to most of the stuff. So, I will go with that.

Regarding new players, a pet Conjurer is easier to gear up and get running since it is easy to make an elemental pet build compared to other types. That plus all the auras and stuff gives it an advantage over Cabalists and Ritualists.

My Ishtar for eg, relies in endgame gear to perform. My Fluffy, even on faction items will perform adequately enough.

So, definitely Elemental Pet Conjurer.

I know atleast some players who don’t like Familiar due to the nature of its auto attacks and feel that it needs to be micro managed more. But even then, something like this would work rather well: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2dBvr9Z (Briarthorn is the focus here rather than Familiar)