The MISSING builds compendium

Well, I’m glad you shared this anyway, since I’ve been meaning to build something around the new buffed items for Bloody pox (I’m the one who asked for them after all ) , so I’m happy to get your insight on how to build this. Thanks!

1 Like

3 things to discuss:

1: Some people posted builds to fill the board, but then deleted their comment (and as far as I can see, their entire account) that makes some variants inaccessible. Should we take those off the board ?

2: It has been suggested before that I “flip” the board to show what’s missing instead of what has been done, once we have enough completed, so that it’s easier to consult and figure out what is left to do. If we’re to do that at some point, I think it would be appropriate right now. Should I do this ?

3: a few observations at this point might be interesting from the developers point of view, to see where maybe there could be some extra support to allow the game to go full-on meme. For example:

• Soldiers Can’t do acid, despite having a pretty decent conduit. They can’t really do Vitality either.
  • Arcanist and Demolitionist are the least versatile masteries, accounting for over 3/4 of builds that have more than 2 builds remaining.
  • Demolitionist in particular has very large blind spots, while arcanist is a bit better off as it can provide generic bonuses and just “ride along” a more focused mastery.
  • Neither can do bleeding, but everyone else has at the very least *some * form of support.
  • Inquisitor and Oathkeeper are the most versatile classes, followed by Occultist
  • Shaman cannot do Chaos.
  • They easily provide what’s needed for their damage type however (vitality, bleed, lightning) such that it doesn’t really matter what the other mastery is.
  • Pierce is by far the hardest damage type to make outside Inquisitor and Nightblade.
  • Almost everyone can do elemental, fire in particular is doable easily for everyone.
  • Occultist can’t do Aether despite having a dedicated set.

There are obviously some other conclusions that can be drawn from this exercise. If you can think of anything, please post them here. I will eventually post our collective conclusions in the ideas and feedback thread, in the hopes of seeing a much wider range of possible builds with minimal changes needed.

1 Like

Responses to your questions:

1. Which builds are inaccessible that would be removed? Most variants I’ve seen still exist in the build compendiums, so they would still remain on the board.

2. I like the presentation of what you have already. It’s neat, compact, and easy to see what’s missing.

3. It’s more fitting to say that it’s impossible to run Acid or Vitality without any sources of RR. It’s pretty obvious that Arcanist, Soldier, and Demo would be the least versatile because they have bad sources of RR (Demo has mines, Arcanist has OFF - lol and Soldier has nothing). I think the fact that we even filled up as much as we already have is a testament to our creativity, and I doubt we’d be able to see any gains that would fill up the chart any further.

Still, I wish the weapon Seals like Chillspikes and Seal of Blight weren’t nerfed and could actually be used in endgame scenarios. It was sad getting Acid Purge fully converted to Pierce and still couldn’t be sufficient for end game.

2 Likes

I believe Fishy has removed all his posts, and I know he contributed at least 2-3 builds to the list…
If we decide to remove whatever is missing, I will scour this thread for the missing links… but I’m waiting for some sort of consensus to not do that legwork for nothing

1. Your choise
  2. No, I like current format
  3. I don’t really see a problem with certain masteries not having broad support for certain damage types. And when it comes to compiling such a table, at least one skill from two masteries is enough.
    and although I’ve been playing very little GD lately, last year I already had experience in the theorycrafting of Warder on every type of retaliation. The pure numbers in the calc showed roughly equal damage, but it all remained on paper. I can make dozen of builds every day, but who will tests? The problem with the Missing build workshop is not that there are no builds, but that there aren’t enough players willing to experiment. Most want to be «Citius, altius, fortius!».
    But only when we have a list of tested and broken builds do we maximize the likelihood of changes in future patches.
1 Like
  1. No grimtools link → take it off the board. Maybe somebody else will fill it when they’ll see an empty spot.
  2. Second board is too much work, I think. I simple list/table would suffice.
1 Like

Vitality Blademaster Theorycraft: Blademaster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
This is the only way I managed to get RR to over 100 with a Blademaster, and even then it peaks at 107 only if every single source of RR is applied to the target (also DA and res are pretty shite)

SR 65 is maaaybe doable but I have serious doubts

2 Likes

I’d give something like this a try for Vitality Blademaster: Blademaster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Should be plenty tanky with great OA/DA and plenty of life-stealing options. Damage is going to be rough no matter how you slice it, but should be doable. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Chaos DW Trickster Theorycraft: Trickster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
This was considerably easier to make than the Vit BM to say the least :woozy_face:
It has 124 max RR and looks pretty decent at first glance
Though after Vit BM anything looks decent by comparison :laughing:

2 Likes

Here’s a doodle for a 2h ranged chaos FS elementalist:

Didnt test it yet but plan to in the future.

1 Like

And another one!
This time a chaos reaper.

2 Likes

Tested yet ?

1 Like

not yet, will tho. :sunglasses:
currently making a bunch of GTs that I’ll test on the weekend.

1 Like

I don’t think either of the assertions “Shaman can’t do Chaos” or “Occultist can’t do Aether” are correct.

When I looked at Aether builds that were missing, several were Oathkeepers (who can use Rutnick’s blaster and the Bonemonger set) and Occultists (who can provide lots of Vitality and Chaos flat damage, which is relatively easy to convert to Aether). I’ve got an Aether Sentinel leveling with no problems so far.

Shaman should be pretty well set up for Chaos. The Chaos Savagery conduit takes care of conversion, and since the recent patch, AOE should not be a problem. Of the missing builds for Chaos Shaman, 1 is a Demolitionist (who has explicit support for Chaos and should not have problems), and 2 have passthrough procs.

For the 2 with passthrough procs, a 2H Shaman can get 67.5% passthrough pretty easily, with a 16% chance of a circular AOE from Seal of the Void. A gunglinger Shaman can get 2 Seals for a 32% chance of a circular AOE and 42.5% passthrough chance.

A Chaos Savagery Shaman is also well set up for large quantities of health regen, since the Chaos side of Abomination and Behemoth both have procs that buff health regen and are easy to get to in a Chaos devotion tree.

Ranged builds going for Aether and converting Chaos → Aether can also use Seal of the Void as long as they aren’t getting lots of their damage from converting physical damage.

Of the missing Chaos Shamen or Aether Occultists, it looks to me like everything should be doable as a ranged build, with the possible exception of Aether Witch Hunter or Chaos Druid.

Looking at some of the other holes to be filled, it seems to me like several of them could be filled up with ranged builds. Given the recent buffs to many ranged builds, I think it would be reasonable to look for combinations that are missing, but could be done relatively easily as a ranged build.

1 Like

Awesome, glad you’re on board :slight_smile:

Just went through Alkamos on level 97 with a Physical Spellbreaker:

This was my first physical damage character, so it’s likely that it could be improved significantly. Going with a Blademaster or Dervish instead of a Spellbreaker is the most obvious way to improve it. Not only would they get actual bonuses from the pistols, but they’re better set up for Physical damage characters anyway. Going with a melee character and Targo’s set would also improve it, but I don’t like playing melee characters and I didn’t have the set.

The build relied significantly on Trauma damage, so damage reflect was a real problem. Before I put the Titan Plating in the chest, I had serious problems with reflect monsters, but after I had no problems with that, which I think proves that Reflected Damage Reduction stacks additively, since after that I had a total of 100%.

1 Like

Cool build! Thanks

Physical Spellbreaker: :white_check_mark:

Killed Korvaak with a Pierce/Bleed Elementalist. This is my first pierce/bleed build, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked.

It uses the Sharpshooter set, the Pierce conduit for Devouring Swarm, and Plunderer’s Talisman. The Sharpshooter set, Feral Hunger, and Plunderer’s Talisman all have significant passthrough chance, for a total of 70.5%.

The build worked without the conduit, but it was a noticeable damage increase when I was able to use it. The biggest change with the conduit was a surprise: it significantly increased sustain vs. large groups. Devouring Swarm leeches a lot, but before the conduit, I was doing about 400 vitality damage per tick, and after it was about 1200 piercing per tick.

This build hits hard, and devastates groups, but is also squishy, at least my current version. My character is deathless, so far, but I would not recommend it for hardcore, as it had several close calls in both the Kymon and the Korvaak fights, and I spent most of my time running away from both of them. The Korvaak fight was easier, mostly because I had plenty of space to run away in.

Gear upgrades and tweaks to the build would probably cure the squishiness problem. My DA and OA were both around 2100, and though Blast Shield saved my life several times in both the Kymon and Korvaak fights, I only have 9 points in it including +skills.

It deals the majority of its damage in pierce, not bleed. It does 5.7 times as much pierce as bleed from plain fire strike just looking at tooltip numbers, however, that doesn’t take into account the bleed from Feral Hunger, Rend, or Devouring Swarm. My best guess is that it does somewhere between 3 and 5 times as much pierce as bleed. I think it should count as both pierce and bleed for the chart, but that’s a judgement call.

Based on my experience with this build, I firmly believe that any pierce Demolitionist can be done with the Sharpshooter set, and probably also the Valdun set. Currently unfinished pierce Demolitionists are Pyromancer, Sorceress, and Defiler.

3 Likes

Awesome build :slight_smile:

Pierce / Bleed Elementalist: :white_check_mark:

Speaking of Elementalists, it is one of 3 classes that have yet to showcase a Physical build before we fully complete the damage type, and I think it’s fully possible to complete the Physical builds if we put our minds to it.

Anyone more experienced with Retaliation can nitpick this draft I have for a Retaliation Elementalist: Elementalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator It only caps out to 80K-90K Retaliation, which doesn’t sound a lot compared to more polished Retaliation builds, but it does have a main damage source in Rata Blackwater Cocktail, which at least gives you flexibility with skillpoints compared to something like Retal Grenado.

The other 2 classes are Pyromancer (which should be easy to do as a Physical Fire Strike with Beronath to convert all that Chaos damage) and Saboteur. I’ll see if I can scrounge up something to test out over the weekend.

1 Like