Things you think you are the only one doing

Interesting.
How long do you need to choose THE ONE char? Do you invest little or alot of time to evaluate which char you wanna play?

Eating Ice Cream with one hand while killing Celestialsā€¦

6 Likes

Putting points in wind devils but not using them. When I link the builds in discord I seem normal and prevents having to hear ā€œWHYYYY NOOO WDā€™s?!?!ā€

Timed buffs are bound to one of the buttons on the side of my mouse

Refuse to use beacons with melee builds idgaf if it can do crucible in 30seconds with beacons, aint happening.

Yell and break shit if I die on 169

2 Likes

Youā€™re definitely not alone here. Most of my thousands of hours in GD are occupied by very few characters. In Vermintide I exclusively play Kerillian. In Killing Floor 1 I only played Demolitionist; in 2 I only played Commando. In Destiny I have hundreds of hours on Titan alone, in Guild Wars 2 I have legitimately 99.8% (mathed it out) of my playtime on my Guardian.

Picking one thing and mastering it to perfection is by far more appealing to me than being a jack of all tradesā€¦at least in games.

I canā€™t speak for Sechtdamon, but for me it varies from game to game. In Destiny and Guild Wars I picked my one char right off the bat. In Monster Hunter, for instance, I experimented with tons of different weapons before finally pumping all my time into Greatsword.

For Grim Dawn, picking my ā€˜one charā€™ probably happened around the 3-400 hour mark.

1 Like

Shoo the Barnacle Cats off my keyboard halfway into a Korvaak fight.

Thereā€™s 2 reasons I donā€™t play hardcore. They have 8 paws and 2 tails between themā€¦

2 Likes

Most of my build is arcanist due to nullification, I canā€™t live without it

3 Likes

Very sophisticated playstyle indeed.

1 Like

Why is that? Please explain yourself. I have lvl 75 Spellbreaker but i dont remember why i dont use it.

First of all thank you Ungoliath for making me remember good old times.

for Diablo 2 I really liked the concept of Paladin. I was in highschool, I started to play and made different setups during classic to dominate hell diff. For LoD, there were so many new stuff impossible to try with any other char, and after I made and played with my smiter, I dig deep to see different combinations against ubers during laddersā€¦ Like "ok, now i got draculā€™s grasp and heavensā€™ light, I want to try Iron Ward, then Grief, and ultimately making last wish and ditching dracul, trying fortitude rune for chest and ultimately making chains of honor etc.) all these were - I guess still are - time consuming things.

For TBC, after all those years playing tank and wanted to DPS, Before I began ā€œpreparing to face himā€ - I knew I wanted a pure character like Mage and I really liked the blood elves and their story, I became fire mage - well I tried arcane with T5 bonuses, and for specific combats like illidan I became frost - but most of the time I played fire mage. Also like d2 LoD, there was so many things to try on one build, switching gear pieces for haste versus crit chance etc, Also I was leading very successful a Zul-Aman runs, and on elitistjerks we really dig deep on theorycrafting we were calculating interruption times on specific bosses and things like that.

Also I almost never PVPed. after some time in guild, I became co-raid leader and Class master, which helped me to not really farm for consumables for raids, but I had to check raid logs after runs, checking and helping others to gear up properly. And I remember ditching tailoring ( tailor specific gear became obsolate after T5 as I remember) to became Leatherworker for haste drums and farming for them were time consuming. I cleared main content before major nerfs, having powerful titles, owning amani war bear was really proudful but I only saw first 2 bosses of the raid comes after BT still makes me sad. On a side note, I played WoW TBC on EU Shattered Halls server with same nickname.

And after two good examples of focusing on one character I carried same discipline to other games I played.

For Grim Dawn, there is two reason: First I like melee characters more than ranged ones in ARPG games. Second is, I was between two chars for WoW TBC, other was rogue, so I create a dual wield pierce blademaster in Grim Dawn. :slight_smile:

And I have to say, what makes me Really like Grim Dawn is it allows you to theorycraft nearly as much as WoW TBC.

After playing it +400 hours alone, I really want to meet with people and play with them.

I guess I overanswer your questions but, as I said at the begining, you made me remember good old daysā€¦

1 Like

Over time I start to think Iā€™m one of few playing for challenge. I do all quests, explore map, visit all areas that I can find and never return to a location with this character to farm something if I have no other business there like an undefeated boss.
When I donā€™t have enough crafting materials I probably just move on to next challenges and eventually find these materials somewhere on the way.
Not enough reputation? Maybe Iā€™ll do a bounty or two, but only if Iā€™m very close to the threshold.
Didnā€™t find an item I wanted? Tough luck. Iā€™ll live with what I have and look forward to rewards from next challenges.
It all applies to Crucible too. Once Iā€™m victorious on Gladiator I will likely not enter it again with this character.
I played Diablo 2 in similar fashion. When I beat hell difficulty with one character, I had never loaded him again.
I appreciate scarcity and trade-offs in games, because they appear as puzzles for me to solve.

2 Likes

Itā€™s have lots of usage. It can dispelling nasty aura from mobs (reflective mobs, MQ, Cronley, etc) and dispelling nasty DOTs and debuffs on me when kiting on SR. Itā€™s far more accurate than Cleansing Water devotion.
Also 33% reduced target elemental damage is really nice bonus.

If Iā€™m starting a new character I only invest in skills and equip weapons etc that I will use in end game
eg I wonā€™t invest in forcewave with a 2 handed weapon from level 1 to level 95 then swap to dual wield pistols. If Iā€™m building dual wield pistols character then I equip as soon as I find the pistols and abilites to dual wield. Nor, if iā€™m building a sword and shield build, will I use anything other than a sword regardless of any better drops that fall. Same with devotions, a point goes in then it doesnā€™t come out unless I have enough of that colour to remove and invest elsewhere.

I donā€™t skip anything. Search, collect, sell, kill everything I come across. Never play vet always start on normal then onto elite. No worthwhile rewards in doing so.

I donā€™t stash nor share any items no matter how good they are or amazing for my existing characters.

I never use xp potions or writs. Everything I build is done the long, hard and enjoyable way.

What happens in Crucible stays in Crucible. I build and play characters separate to main game. Always start at level 1 but by finishing first 10 waves am around level 5 so easier thereonā€¦for a bit anyway.

Takes me around 5 hrs to get to level 23 after killing the warden and about 18 hours at level 48 to complete main base game (without SoT, BoC etc) then onto both DLC varying the start order each time. Guides that I see stating how to level from 1 - 50 in 30 minutes are no fun for me.

3 Likes

To my knowledge Iā€™m the only one crazy enough to GDstash a series of equips that each have attribute bonuses and successively increasing attribute requirements such that un-equipping the characterā€™s relic causes a chain reaction of stat requirement failures that strips them naked one piece at a time.

2 Likes

Same here.

Nice one. I know that, but never done it.

1. I donā€™t skip trash mobs at max level/reputation.
  2. I level builds like I intend to play them.
  3. I have probably 30+ health and energy potions taking up stash space.
  4. I have one tab for components, one for weapons, one for belt and jewlery, one chest and legs, one for head, gloves, boots and shoulders (it over flows)
  5. Port Valbury is the best dungeon.
  6. Cold is my favorite damage type.
3 Likes
  1. Talk to everyone, and take every available dialogue option, listening to the entire voiceover (even though I finish reading sooner), every time I play.
  2. Collect and read through every lore note, and imagine the scenarios, every playthrough.
  3. Listen to ā€œThe Captainā€ way, way too much on my drive home from work.
2 Likes

Same. And i think thats common. Especially the ā€œit over flowsā€.

Me too.

Unbelievable. You win. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Figure I may as well join in and bump this because itā€™s a fun thread. I obsessively hoard leveling epics, but pretty much never twink because I often canā€™t be bothered to look through GDStash to see what I have.

2 Likes