TitanQuest.net Site

Well, fork…:furious:

Gotta agree with jiaco, though. What about a database dump? Or any way to get to our PMs? I’m not that mad about them shutting it down. I’m pretty pissed about them doing that without any previous warning at all, though! You can’t just shut a service down on a whim when people still use it!

Oh, man…

Was gunna say the same myself. I don’t use the site very often but that’s a pretty craptastic move. No warning.

Lame.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

A database dump would be awesome.

So many pages of useful info, it can’t be lost. It just can’t. I have it bookmarked, not saved.

This makes me sad.

Some threads and datas can still be read (and copied) with Google cache… but what a work ! :furious:

Does wget work with this? Interesting.

What do you get when you use this link?
http://web.archive.org/web/20160301013230/http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/forum.php

ok do not get your hopes up, above link is very incomplete.

Not much jiaco. You get the main forum page (which is a few months out of date), but trying to actually access a thread just gets me to a new page asking if I want to access all the threads and when I try it just goes round and round trying to load. Alternative is to try and save the thread url you’re trying to access and hello, you’re back at cybertar’s website again. :furious:

Yeah, and for some reason, nothing at all from titanquest.net is in google cache.

Looks like iEntry releasing the database is the only hope.

This is absolutely infuriating! I just re-started a TQ run, and so many threads from other forums also link to TQ’s forum…

Out of curiosity, what can one do with a database dump? Would it be used to re-create a new website/forum (on a new domain, probably?) with all the old content? Or would it just be for us to sift through so we have access to all the old threads?

Also, for those who still want a forum for TQ, what will you guys use? Are we going to have a little TQ enclave here at grimdawn.com, or is there another forum that you guys will move onto?

Difficult to say Flying Potato. I know there are other forums in other countries/languages - Germany and Spain come to mind, but if you’re only an English speaker like me they’re not really going to work. So here or Steam will be the likely places people gravitate to. I think quite a lot of the TQ.net active members are here already.

As for a niche here, well yes in a very general way you could perhaps have small section for questions, but given the wealth of info that TitanQuest.net contains it really needs a forum of its own if you’re going to try and rebuild/develop it for the future. One sub-section here just wouldn’t work I don’t think personally.

@medea

No real reason was given. I will ask. Not sure if they will answer/tell me…

@jiaco and others.

I will ask for the database dumps. Again, not sure if they will release them, but I will ask.

@potato and others

For the time being, please hold off on trying to set up another forum or enclave somewhere else. While I am just as disheartened as anyone else at this turn of events with regards to the old TQ.net, I hold a glimmer of hope that something better might come from it. As before, if I hear of anything that I can pass along, I will do so.

With a program, you could mine the database dump and get the thread content out. Most forum software even stores images as blobs in SQL. But of course, they were vBulletin, and I never played around with one cause it costs money. But if they drop the SQL dump somewhere, I am sure someone will extract it back to static HTML.

Why shut down an active forum with no warning… Wtf…

Death by committee, I bet. We should sick Apple on them to sue for their misuse of the letter i in iEntry. :smiley:

its sad news indeed, hope theres a solution for this, Tq need it

they could atlast move to another place our something, instead of closing it by no reason

I don’t think it’s as simple as that sauruz. Iirc iEntry bought the website/forum from the previous owner.

Anyway, let’s wait and see if Father Squid can update us once he’s talked with them again.

Wow that sucks.

I’m wondering what are the odds that the upcoming Nordic/Steam release has something to do with this. What if the Bugfix Fanpatch version is better than the new release? The obvious answer from a monopolistic point of view is buy up the existing site and do your best to make sure as few prospective customers as possible know about this alternative while doing your best to keep the years of hard work on the site from being accessible to the public.

I haven’t been following the news on the new version and know nothing of Nordic. I do know that Steam is often accused of being a monopoly. I’m sure they would prefer people use their own forums to the one that has, by virtue of having been around a long time, much more to offer than their new forums would.

I’m guessing TQ.net is history, but I truly hope I am wrong. Are there other sites that host the Bugfix patches? I want to get as current a version as possible as soon as possible. I also need to trade in my Steam account for a GoG because this shit is intolerable.

That much is obvious. But Steam isn’t to blame either.

As an “email marketing” company, one can assume iEntry was primarily interested in mining user addresses when they bought the forum. Not in the game or its community, which would explain the lack of fluffs given.

As said we are already working on a solution though, if only we can get that data.

DrThoss I have to say I doubt either of them were involved. From the little I read on TQ.net and here fans are enthusiastic about the changes Nordic are making and the site would have been a valuable place for info on the updates to be visible to the “old school” fans who might not know about them otherwise.

As for Steam, well they often have TQ on sale and there is their own forum on their site for the game too. I expect plenty of Steam users have hopped over to TQ.net to access the various mods and info there so why would Steam be interested in shutting it down? Again, a valuable resource for them for potential new customers as the new updates are only available if you have the Steam version of the game at the moment.

It’s more likely that iEntry just don’t want to bother with the gaming stuff they have anymore. Of the 6 game related sites I found listed yesterday only one still seems to be accessible and that’s more of a blog than anything else. I’ve always been puzzled as to why iEntry even bought the website in the first place as it doesn’t really match their main business. Violos user address mining suggestion seems to be the only reason for the purchase.

The unfortunate thing is I don’t think iEntry realise that the site is the premier one for the TQ fans. Although there are many other forums for the game around the world as Flying Potato said they nearly all refer to TQ.net links when people ask questions or need info on the Fanpatch, mods, etc.

By the way…opinions on me making a download mirror thread for whatever mods, tools, etc. from the forums I still have in my Dropbox?

I think it would help people looking for download links while the future of tq.net (or rather us getting the db) is uncertain…

Thoughts?

My two pennies - hold off until we get more info on what’s happening. I could see people coming to download a mod, then having problems and/or questions and starting a new thread asking for advice and suddenly the GD forum is spouting a lot of TQ threads. If anyone is desperate for a mod/tool they can always send you a PM and ask if you have it available. I know the German TQ fansite has been asking amongst themselves what’s happened to TQ.net and have a link to this thread so maybe some of the other forums do too.