Too much micro management needed

Really? I need to tell the compost workers to add compost to crop fields over and over?
Just let me assign that worker to a field or better yet just have the workers to it automatically.

I need to tell work camp workers if trees run out here to move over there every year?

etc… for many other areas of the game. This is my main issue with this game that makes
it too repetitive and a tad boring. I want to plan the city layout and how it runs but having
me click on compost and then scroll to one of my 14 crop fields every year is getting old fast
and I only have 800 population.

It became such a pain to keep moving the rat catchers targets I just ended up making 12 rat
catchers Now I never need to move target circle but of course I’m wasting people sitting idle
instead of them out getting logs lol

7 Likes

I have seen a few people talking about excessive micromanagement, yet I feel I have very little to do most years. I have 8 compost bins, and a pop of just over 700. I have brought 6 to 8 work camps, 26 farms, and enough rat catchers that I never even think about them. 6 barns, 9 arborists, etc.

most of my time is spent trading, preping for trading, and sitting staring at the screen waiting for the next year so I have something to do again. I run the game at x3 speed, and pause a minute for trades.

Where are you all getting bogged down in micro?

2 Likes

I agree. I also find having to replant Peach/Pear/Apple trees over and over again annoying as well. Auto compost and Auto replant would be nice.

6 Likes

It’s almost like some of you want the game to just play itself…

5 Likes

You’re just a glutton for punishment. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Not all of us have fast reflexes, and not all of us can process multiple thoughts anymore. I agree with @Groovy in that having to individually set the compost for every field, for example, gets quite tedious. And there are other areas, such as the arborists, as @Jeff_123 pointed out. And why not have the cows get milked as a matter of procedure, automatically, when they return to the barn for the winter? And then they’d go out again to graze in the spring, having been milked and produced gobs of milk. Some of us just aren’t that detail-oriented.

1 Like

I find spreading compost helps me pay attention to field fertility, otherwise I know I would neglect it, some of the tasks are very helpful for that, and checking and repositioning work camps, foragers etc, isn’t that big a deal, it’s called management and it’s realistic, I don’t think medieval settlers had automatic settings, those came later…

5 Likes

100+ years ago I started a thread about fertility because mine was so low… I am glad to report thought MUCH micro management, they are all 80% plus, most 90% plus.

2 Likes

Only thing i have to Micro manage is say upgrading stuff or marking things like walls for priority or planting trees …

I do have to admit when i first started i was in micro hell but once you figure out how to make everything run smoothly with planning and set-up you end up spending most of your time either clicking on prio for wall builds planted trees or waiting on the trader and pretty much nothing else. Running like a finely oiled machine and we get to watch the grass grow.

The small part i have to Micro manage i am thankful for thats for sure other than TREES! well and walls.

2 Likes

How nice would it be if we could just fire up a game and get to work. And on the way back, the city would have built itself. :rofl:

You are too focused on winning and you forget that the primary goal of a game is to play.

2 Likes

In my opinion, from all thats been said here about this micro management, i do agree in a few, such as the arborists not replanting fruit trees (thats a big hassle) and planting decor trees should have an option to “click n drag” for planting bigger areas. All the rest makes part of the play and thats still fun!
I know theres too many ppl that are not so reflexible anymore, but thats the point. Managing a whole bunch of people doing different things in a growing town becomes more intensive as time passes and thats organic and natural. I think its part of the challenge.

3 Likes

I don’t see it that way. What happens to me is while I’m paying attention to the micromanagement of, say, my fields, I’m missing taking care of other things that need to be taken care of.

That’s the stage where I am, I guess, and sometimes it is overwhelming. Don’t worry. I’m stubborn. It’s just that getting to that place you describe is sometimes frustrating. I wish there were a way to make a map of my city, for reference, because as it becomes more dense in the center and more spread out in the hinterlands with mines and hunters and fisherfolk and foragers, I keep forgetting where I built what!

This is why we need a way to cycle through buildings by type :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe I misunderstood your post but they are automatic.

1 Like

Not by itself but my game after a while is dumbed down to the same repetitive tasks.

1. Fertilize farms
  2. Move some buildings to fix structural integrity
  3. Plant decorative trees so workers have something to chop
  4. Sell excessive goods and buy iron/coal/sand

In games like Anno, Rimworld, Oxygen not Included I literally don’t know what to do first coz there is always something. Here? It is hard to force myself to play after next winter coz I know the whole slog starts again… Well, I know what to do, I could optimize my production line but we don’t have the tools for that (yet).

1 Like

Exactly! I find myself doing the same repetitive tasks instead of exploring new fun features and this is why the game in its current state is not that good. I want to build awesome cites! not carry poop to farm fields.

1 Like

Already have a few of those.

Lol exactly! And then there are players who are trying to convince us that minimap is not needed. Oh, I forgot to mention, that scrolling from one end to other end of the map while having 20 fps is also not funny. Especially when blizzard or rain starts.

2 Likes

Then what is with “Enable milking” and “Disable milking?”

You know, I have thought about this a little more, and really it’s more the problem-solving than “winning.” How do you “win” this game, anyway? I’m not nearly to that stage, whatever it may be, yet. But I guess the thing is that the game is so complex – more so than just about any other game I’ve played since I started in the late 1970s. The learning curve is really steep starting out, and the whole thing is about problem-solving. But while one is solving one problem, others are springing up unawares (like no notifications about buildings needing repair until “building abandoned” pops up. That’s happened to me twice in the couple of (real-world) days). Gets overwhelming at times. We play and learn, just as we live and learn in real life.

1 Like

That would be special.

But for compost; I would like a discard button in the Compost building, so I do not have to assign it.