[Tool] Rainbow Filter (Item Highlighting)

Thank you for the link! Now I can download it just fine.

Hello

I just started playing and I was recommended to install this as it seems to be helpful to learn game mechanics, however I cannot get it to work at all, the filter doesn’t ever show up in my game under languages. I have tried manually installing it by copying the files and also using the program and nothing seems to work. Is there any troubleshooting I can try, the game just doesn’t seem to read the language and the only one I can select is US English.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the obvious question.

You can only select a filter under languages if you’re using a different language. Regular English texts will just get replaced by the colored texts when the game is loading its assets.

If texts are unchanged in-game you can try the alternate location, for some users the game’s installation directory doesn’t work and the game only loads the settings folder inside their User Data directory.

Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

Thank you, I didn’t realise that it would just replace the existing texts, it’s working great now. Thank you for your help again, and sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Is there a chance we can get a file for [MOD] Diablo 3 Classes: Patch 3.2 Released?

You can do that with this utility - [Ressource] GrimLoot - Collection of loot VFX and SFX

Not sure what Steam has to do with it. Using various tools and mods in GD works the same with the Steam version as it does with the GOG version. Mods and tools are community made and there is rarely ever going to be a “one thing does it all” solution. Rainbow Filter is about Item Highlighting - as its title denotes - so I don’t see why it would be expected for it to be meddling with sound files.

Sadly this is so with many such tools for GD and its primarily because of the way SteamCloud works. It can cause issues with your saves when a game needs to sync things up and down from the cloud and you are putting your saves at risk of corruption during such moments. This is why it is frequently recommended to cut Steam Cloud out of the picture when using most 3rd party tools. With local saving it is simply just safer in every way to not have that potential issue in play at all.

It is, however, extremely easy to move your saves in and out of the cloud at will for GD once you know how to do it. I’ve done it many times with no issue.

You’re referring to loot filters, most of which are third party tools. You still need to setup the filter, put it the filter file in the gamer folder, download the sound files and associate them with certain loot drops. For GrimLoot you put the sound files in a specific game folder and set the flags in GI. Couldn’t be any easier. Sadly though it seems you can’t use just any old file. My Client Eastwood “Go ahead, make my day” or Samuel L Jackson “English MF, do you speak it !” don’t work in GD. They sound like chipmunks.

Disclaimer: I run the GOG version, which is local, so I admit it’s a little easier to use a ton of 3rd party tools. Another reason to avoid steam …

You could technically change sounds the same way as Rainbow changes texts. I’ve never tried sound files though and it would change the sound wherever it occurs, which is probably not what you want when you refer to PoE Filters and custom drop sounds.
Without looking at GI and GrimLoot, I assume that’s why it needs GI for it, to play the effect when a certain drop occurs. All I do with Rainbow is tell the game to load the colored texts instead, but I couldn’t add a new text or make a different text where the same texts are used, this is why mastery names show up in loot and the skills themselves. It would likely work the same for sounds, but most of the drop sounds are probably based on the item type and there is nothing I can override unless I update the game files. :frowning:

Since this works for meshes and textures, too, the entire visuals for the game could be changed as long as it replaces a file in the game. One can look at it as very restricted visual modding (that doesn’t require to play custom games) :smiley:

1 Like

Files and Tool updated for Grim Dawn v1.1.7.0

Tool updates itself, keep in mind colors need to be saved manually after it has finished updating.

You can find all downloads in the First Post or on GitHub.

6 Likes

Thanks for your work!

WareBare, thank you so much for this incredibly fast update! Your mod is extremely helpful for me.

Already??? WOW

Loving it! :blush:

Thank you so much, Ware!

Fast and awesome. Thx!

I love this tool, it is excellent! Thank you for the hard work!

I did notice that the blue monster infrequent item Outcast’s Hood that drops from Anasteria shows up with green item text. Any chance of fixing this for the next version?

Thank you for the report.

The fix will be included with the next version when the first GD hotfix is out.

I found a small item color error. This is the “lost” Monster Infrequent that was in the game but not in the loot tables until 1.1.7.0