v0.2.0.8 (b15)

Fantastic work as always - very appreciative to the change regarding the opening of chests as I lost one when teleporting back to Devil’s Crossing to free my inventory of trash loot.

It would be perhaps really useful to also publish the change logs for new builds as stickies on the Steam Early Access forums. I’m sure it will be also be appreciated there.

Done, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I’m not enjoying the new downgrade to ambient light in the dungeons. Places like the Depraved Sanctuary are too dark to actually see anything. It makes me wonder how cultists can actually see me if I can’t see them. We should just be missing each other completely in the dark.

But back to actual gameplay points- the reduction in darkness now makes a decent amount of the game gray and black with little need for scenery or an investment in graphics. If most of your game is expected to be above ground with a little dungeon crawling thrown in for special occasions, then fine it’s not a big deal. But if not do you really want a majority of your players complaining about the lack of color and depth, visual graphics, eye candy etc. not because you didn’t do it, but because you can’t actually see anything since it’s too dark?

Right now you’ve got about 40-50% (guesstimate) underground and I expect in the nature of most RPGs it’ll stay that way. That takes it out from the occasional special dungeon issue to an actual gameplay dynamic. The lack of actual visual depth means that you will (rightly or wrongly) face criticism from gamers that your graphics are crappy and you have low visual effects. Not because you don’t have it, but they can’t actually see it. Also, this gameplay dynamic has been moved out of ARPGs and is more associated with roguecrawlers or mysteries. In those games they want a deeply immersive setting that mimics reality. ARPGs are much more about the action and getting into a big fights with a bunch of monsters onscreen. Lack of lighting tends to go against this game genre (in fact even the PnP games have started to eliminate the need or desire to deal with lighting). Heck even games like Batman Arkham Asylum keeps the lighting to useable so that you can enjoy the game and that is a dark and foreboding setting, but still a visually appealing one.

If you maintain this gameplay dynamic, then you probably have to up the ability and the frequency of light sources from just the occasional affix to a more generic affix set or make it available on a variety of items (i.e. standard small amounts on greens and up).

Dejnov.

Great improvements. Excellent work. Thanks again for the great game!

One unrelated question: are there more Bandits to hunt down in Act I? I’ll deal with Aetherics & Cthonics whenever I bump into them. Those freaking outlaws really need to die.

My pure occultist has been getting incinerated like a marshmallow in a blast furnace by a rather hotheaded brigand… :wink: I’m stocking up on mana potions just to Pox every last one of them. If anyone can think of a worse way to die than Bloody Pox, I’m all ears.

I like what I have read, keep up the good work! :smiley:

As to some of the comments on the darkness, how about a torch as a weapon? Fire damage melee and shoots small fire bolts for ranged, plus gives off light. Or it could be an offhand item for all classes. Just some thoughts.

Why isn’t there an option for an update?

Why do I have to download the entire build? That doesn’t make much sense.

You don’t have to download the entire build. That’s not how Steam works.

So the update was over 500 MB? Alright.

Bah humbug. Searched Burrwitch Estate twice and still can’t find chest. Do you consider the cellars part of the Estates? Finally found Outlaw cave, no chest. Outlaw were level 12. They should level to level of game if a chest is still there. Will now search for Gutty.
Does the chest get high lighted if you mouse over?
Don’t like the deep darkness. Distract from game. Wonder how many things I missed because of it

Just turn up the gamma, that’s what I do. :smiley:

good idea! secon that! let them burn!
keep up the good work!

That’s what everybody is gonna do after 5 minutes in any dungeon. And you know what, there go the great looking graphics again.

Gamma’d up graphics look like shiiiit.

Dejnov.

Plus that only works if you’re playing in fullscreen. If you’re in windowed or windowed (fullscreen), the gamma setting doesn’t do anything.

Personally, I didn’t mind the way the lighting was before, and I can live with the way it is now. Ideally though, somewhere in the middle would be nice. It’s harder to appreciate the dark environments now, but it wouldn’t have to be back up to the previous levels to solve that.

Have Gamma maxed didn’t help much. Almost missed the side roads in the Ominous Lair because of the darkness. A little darker than old would be ok. Had to quit the game for awhile from squinting so much trying to see.

Have you checked the minimap? Sometimes when searching for hidden paths it may help. All these hidden secret areas has a pattern.

I’m finally getting a chance to play the latest build. Loving the new Wightmire, darker undergrounds and some of the new pathing. Also, the new GD app icon it pretty slick too. :slight_smile:

I noticed a few graphic issues that could be improved.

Quest Dialog text is hard to read. The text is a bit ragged (not smoothed), a bit too closely spaced and the background it partially transparent. Dialog text is not usually given in combat, so it shouldn’t be a performance issue, to enable smoothing if that is available. The text near the map looks like it is more widely spaced.

The dead horse texture looks a bit ragged graphically. The white parts are the most noticeable.

I am using 4x AA and 8x Ansio.

i think it is coming :wink:

if you take a look at Shalie’s database which has been updated with items coming our way with alpha :cool:
of course everything could be submitted to changes, but you can find an item which proves Crate had anticipated your desires :slight_smile: (don’t say more for those who prefer not knowing about the details)

:smiley:

Now I’m even more excited for Act 2 and whatever comes next.

Thank for this update :slight_smile:
I start the french translation with my friends :smiley: