V1.1.4.0 Preview

Changes look great but there is one big issue. If these changes discourage Gerda from updating GI and they do not follow Gerda’s vision to the letter then I don’t want them.

These are some of the possible issues:

• customizable bars (ex. only for heroes+)
  • customizable bars (width, length, color, etc.)
  • customizable enemy names
  • buff/debuff lists (personally I don’t use them but I know others who do and swear by them)
  • DPS meter (useful for testing - not so much for playing because of fps)

So if these features aren’t included and Gerda stops updating GI then we’re actually losing features, not gaining them. Sorry to keep it so down-to-earth.

3 Likes

whether Gerda will update the tools or not is up to her, but you cannot expect Crate to implement things so they look exactly the same as in GI (or to not implement them at all so GI has more ‘reason’ to exist)

3 Likes

I’m not expecting anything. I’m just voicing my concern. An important issue that might have been lost in this hurricane of hurrays.

I don’t expect things to be exactly the same. But if they’re not and Gerda decides there is no reason to keep working on GI then we, the regular GD bread eaters without the know-how of modding tools, aren’t gaining anything here but quite the opposite.

Enemy names and bars (both customizable to appear only on certain ranks of enemies - heroes+ for me - and designed so that they are visible but not obstructing) is the absolute minimum for me personally to stop using GI.

Sounds like something to take up with GG. The vast majority of players don’t use GI at all or even know what it is, so even rudimentary options lacking what you’re seeking are far beyond that which they have presently.

This is just amazing… I can’t wait for the quality of life… and hello all :smiley:

ya1

As GG said wait and see the new features first and then discuss with her in the GI thread. But ultimately the decision is GG’s whether she continues to update the mod or not.

4 Likes

@ya1 Gerda works with the GI for free on her free-time. She can stop working with the mod whenever she wants and for whatever reason she wants. That is the drawback of relying on fan made mods, they can be abandoned by the developer whenever. If you really want GI to work in the future too, then learn how to maintain the mod or someone else in the GI sub-community could.

Looks to be that you don’t want progress being made in the main game, for it might interfere with how a certain popular mod(s) being updated or not, for free, by that/those mod’s developer :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, you have become so a costumed using the QoL mod GI, that you perhaps not can’t play without it? Is that crates fault? Is it Gerdas fault? Or is it your own fault?

2 Likes

We would actually be losing features only in case of everyone actually using all those GI features.

I used GI solely for autolooting, I despise healthbars. Lately I haven’t been using it at all, since it’s such a pain in the ass to always update it.

So yeah, I’m definitely gaining features

Hey… impeccable logic there, buddy, with that gained, un-gained and re-en-gained autoloot features! And updating Gi is maybe 15 clicks in total? Like picking up loot one by one from two big chests. So it’s not about pain, more about… mathematics? But okay. I’m slapping myself in face and telling myself it’s a good thing.

Just please make it at least a quarter as customizable as GI. If 1) healthbars are on every little trashmob or on nobody, 2) those health digits cannot be turned off and 3) there are no green, yellow and red bars at certain %health, then I’ll smile, say “thank you what a wonderful gift!” and then I’ll SHOVE it in the bottom drawer… People who have been using GI will keep using GI. And people who haven’t been using GI now read this thread and will. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One last thing and I’m out. Crate, if you really wanna improve UI make debuff icons more visible. 99.999% players don’t really know what’s going on with them when they’re playing, and then you got torrents of feedback about one-shots, missing dmg, mysterious deaths, imbalance, bugs, etc. This is because there is no way to be able to hover over those tiny icons and wait to examine them in the middle of a fight. Even experienced pilots have trouble making them out in the middle of a fight and most people just ignore them because they have to keep an eye on the bars, cooldowns and enemies. I don’t have an exact idea in my head what to do about it. Maybe focus only on those most important debuffs like rr, fumble, da shred, dmg redux? This is one of the biggest UI problems, in my very humble and possibly misguided opinion. Debuffs in this game are extremly potent. And nobody ever knows what they are without checking grimtools. And then it’s really hard to make out when exactly some of them happen. You created such majestic game mechanics. Why conceal how they work from all but the most devoted fans?

3 Likes

Even if it was just one click, it’s a cognitive load which has now become obsolete. Not to mention that sometimes we had to wait for GI update for several days. So really, the condescension is not necessary.

I googled cognitive load. Updating GI, which one is it: extraneous, intrinsic or germane?

No they wont since GI will, most likely, not be updated anymore :stuck_out_tongue:
I have read many posts that now people that refrain from using mods now can enjoy some of the QoL that GI have brought to players.

A part of ARPG is the A-part, action. Having too much information on the screen somewhat defeats that purpose IMO and is a partial reason why I think players that brag about their cruci and SR times using such information tools are cheating (since its not part of the main game and thus get a big advantage against players who are not using tool X). Heck I even think health bars is cheating since you can do things with it with that affects your playing that is not part of the original game. Now that everybody can get health bars, I will not considering it cheating anymore :slight_smile:

One thing one could do, is to be able to pause the game and hovering over the debuff icons and see what they do. But again, I think it would defeat the A in ARPG

Cut the crap, you know what he/she meant.

I can hardly believe that someone thinks its a bad idea that the base game now includes several QoL features that will render GI redundant for many many players and even make the developer of said mod retiring. If you really are this accustomed of playing with that mod, either learn to update it yourself or find another one in GI sub-community that can do that. Do not stand in the way for progression of the base game.

1 Like

I’ve never used a mod before so I’m excited for the changes previewed in the above post.
I think the mods created by the community are exceptionable, so if you devs think there are things that make the game better and enjoyable for everyone then we should say thanks to all involved in getting us these QoL improvements.
Be happy everyone!

1 Like

That’s right, I think its fantastic that GD is a game with developers that actually take the hard work by their fan base into consideration. But there will always be some narrow-minded and egoistic elitists that will complain "buhu devs stole and implemented the mod I am so used playing with so now it will not be maintained anymore that sucks I hate this game now " :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a good point and I agree. Many of the deaths from burst damage are because you don’t know you’re debuffed. But if a player could actually easily tell that he has -30 and -40 Aether res from some Fleshweaver dudes they would run for their lives.

As a suggestion, only the most important debuffs should be shown as an icon over the character.
There are already icons for every damage type and those could be used to show RR: “< Chaos icon > -30%” for example.
To prevent clutter, the debuffs shown should be carefully decided, concatenated, and/or have a threshold before they show up.

Having more functional debuff indicators would make GD combat significantly more interesting.

1 Like

I’m just giving feedback on what GI features are most important to include. Because what I can see on that screenshot, sorry, but that isn’t good. Healthbars are above trash, all of them are the same color regardless of value and all of them have numbers that will clutter the screen.

I’m trying to make everyone happy - both GI and no GI players - by giving valuable feedback you’re putting me down for stepping out of the choir. Uncool.

1 Like

The old codgers up in Crate are doing some mighty fan service.

(You forgot “what features are most useful to YOU”)

Do not just look at the picture(s), you can read the text too.

What those “various options” includes, future will tell. I am pretty confident that Crate knows what they are doing here.

That’s fine. Keep in mind it is still in testing and nothing you’ve seen is completely set in stone yet. While I agree that clearer debuff info would be nice in the end it’s up to Glocken if she wants to keep supporting the lesser features of GI. Because lets be real here, most people were in to GI for either the health bars, the autoloot/combine, or both. The rest was just extra icing.

Demanding Crate follow GI to the T is unrealistic. I have no need for them to make these things as customizable as GI’s. You are better served offering feedback on how you would like to see them but they are certainly in no way obligated to offer full on customization of these features.

If Glocken doesn’t want to continue that’s on her. If someone else wants to fill the gap if she decides not to, that’s on them - whoever they may be.

Edit: and those “numbers that will clutter the screen” are already toggleable. It’s a non-issue as far as that is concerned.

4 Likes

Such a meaningful contribution to our discussion