V1.1.9.8 Discussion

I still remember not too long go people complaining that it sucked and it needed a bunch of buffs.

Also, being in a top 20 list is not the same as overperforming because by that logic every build there should be nerfed too.

1 Like

People are hilarious when they assume a set or build to be “literally best”. No one in this community, not even developers can 100% call some set “literally best”. There is no data that can show you the Avenger is the “best” set in the game. No, freaking Crucible 7 second faster clears doesn’t mean a build is best either. You’re in a territory of complete subjectivity here.

Once again, besides a few people’s ideas, there are 0 ideas for next patch in this thread, after 300+ posts.

5 Likes

there IS data tho as you can go to top20 builds thread and watch vids of said Avenger/other builds. and Avenger, given his performance, deffo belongs to the best sets in the game.

and also, tbh, no one brought cr timer as the measurement.

Builds are literally nerfed/buffed because of CR timers when majority of players don’t even play CR. Because there is a thread called “top20” doesn’t make them absolute unquestionable godsent top20.

Whats a “best” build? Is that Maya’s Conjurer that can go deep as SR130 despite timer?
Is that the fastest SR75 Farmer?
Is that a build that can do all superbosses but can also do CR below 4 min?

There is no definition of a best build. Avenger is NOT i mean NOT the best set in the game. Stop flooding this thread with Octavius and Avenger conversations and talk about those million completely forgotten items/sets.

2 Likes

maybe you should start, then :wink:

I already did, check this thread.

Sure, no build is best in everything in GD, and that’s why it’s a pretty GOOD game (unlike many others).
Yet, there ARE builds that have the most strong points and the least weaknesses, and those are considered “the best ones”. And Avenger Archon is definetely one of those.
I believe GD is good already, but there is still a room for improvement. Some healthy balance tweaks would make the game only better in the long run. And “balance” should include both slight nerfing too strong things, and slight buffing too weak ones, IMO.

CR timers arent the only factor there.
There are many “glass-cannon” builds that enjoy very fast CR clearing time, but only if the player is very skilled and a bit lucky, and character has BiS gear. When a player of mediocre skill (like me) tries the same with not-so-perfect gear, he fails miserably. Or, at least, fails accasionally due to bad luck, some misshaps, etc.
But some builds enjoy same fast clearing times while being much tankier, and those dont die as easily even if player masses up a bit, or gets unlucky. Isnt that a factor to call those tankier build BETTER?
There are also builds, that excell greatly in one thing (like getting to high SR levels, or killing Callagadra). They have the right to exist, but i dont think you can call them the “best”. IMO, the best builds should be all-rounders, able to clear all farmable endgame content (Nemesises, Rogue Dungeons, Crucible, SR, some easy celestials) safely and in relatively short time.
And not, SR130 doesnt count as “farmable” content because it doesnt reward you well enough for your trouble. It’s just a challenge for a “dick measuring contest” and specific builds, and that’s it. I dont think Callagadra count either, because it wrecks most all-around endgame builds, aside from the few ones that hard-counter it (i mean killing it in relatively short time).

Just nerf everything to the point unarmed, naked builds are the best builds. :scorv:

1 Like

Not sure what are you guys arguing about for Avenger. It can be the best set in the game and not overperforming at the same time. If you just call OP smth that is currently best you’ll go into endless loop of nerfing everything that is currently best.

Avenger picked up 1st spot in top20 because of gear accessibility and ease to play. Its results were among the best but not the absolute best.

4 Likes

It is the best set in the game though, mad_lee invented it, therefore it can’t be anything but top tier :smirk: .
And 7 seconds faster in Crucible is a lot for the best gamemode GD has to offer :smirk:

I also remember playtesters playtesting the game… 3 years ago. :scorv:

Playtesters doing anything is a common misconception. :rofl:

(I kid, you guys did great)

Hm, I dunno, I tried Calla with my Avenger Warder a couple of months ago and died three times despite being high on potions and not facetanking 100% of the time. Doesn’t seem OP to me. It’s good, but that’s about it.

The build by the way (awaiting criticism, hue-hue): Warder, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

2 Likes

you should have done Y instead of X :crazy_face:
:grin:

on a serious note, Upheaval focus might be a bit rough with that OA against her DA - not meant as a criticism of the build but a fight specific observation

i’ve managed to die to Calla too on both avenger archon and warder, before the top20 was released i used Protoss HC avenger setup but with less regen focus, and deded

great build, could squeeze in 1 circuit breaker by removing sailor guide and 2 from oleron having 4 points into ghoul.

U get all kinds of goodies - life steal, regen, physical, 200% AS.

2021 was three years ago? Because i vividly remember people from this same thread making threads asking for Avenger buffs in that same year.

Edit: Yeah, Avenger got buffed in 1.1.9.2, which was in October 2021.

My suggestion for 1.1.9.8 is to enable having Steelcap District as your starting location.

You probably didn’t drink ADCTH pots throughout the fight. They help a lot. Especially if you start with 7% leech. With that it shouldn’t be a problem with this Armor + Phys res.

5 Likes

Multiplayer reason as to why this isn’t a thing. Basically to avoid people spawning in during the quest to free the Steelcap District in multiplayer.

3 Likes

Okay, but I’d still add the HP tho… Like why is that there’s no HP, almost every other chest/set has it. Hoped someone would agree or justify if it’s actually needed. But since it’s not played a lot, not many people might know or care…

Gutripper + Goredrinker Vindicator - Vindicator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Damage is not bad, DoT stack is 400k and duration is good but sustain is pretty bad. Getting OA is hard(I also tried Paladin version) and due to low attack and cast speed it’s clunky. Farming range is okay but after 80 you can’t facetank most nemesis.

My suggestions:

• First of all, base damage of the weapon is really low, please increase it a bit. You need some filler, which are Savagery, RF or Cadence as weapon has soldier and fighting form support. Not having AS is problematic but not dealing any pierce damage is another level. Vire’s Might also deals pretty low pierce damage with it.

• Remove the global Adcth and add it to Grasping Vines and Vire’s Might.(WD mod on GV also can be increased.)

• Add some OA or change the proc to %10 chance on attack and increase the cooldown a bit.

2 Likes

That’s the core problem of all DoT builds - they cant leech off their damage and severely lack HP sustain therefore (as main source of sustain is ADCtH). You cant really “fix” that, only “bandaid”. ADCtH provides too strong sustain compred to other options (life regen, vendigo totem, etc).

1 Like