Weed Level

Put up a guard donkey / mule (Mule versus lion).

We have plenty of deer around too but they much prefer ornamental plants and crops to the taste of weeds. Btw, deer will also try to eat your crops in FF.

1 Like

But can we hunt deer on our fields and eat them instead?

1 Like

Only in the proper season - and with a licence most likely.

Protect and guide your people as you forge a town from untamed wilderness at the edge of the known world

Clearly we are the law and can make our own rules…

2 Likes

Of course! You can also fence off your crops to prevent animals from getting in.

is there any kind of animal feed crops in the game yet? And can you use fallow fields to grow things like hay etc?
Or even better, just let the animals go nuts on the weed infested fields (being fully fenced in so they cant escape) to eat all the unwanted plants leaving you with a nice 0% weed level :stuck_out_tongue:

You can set cows to graze on fields. Especially useful with clover. Or some unwatched cows may wander off and eat crops they find.

“Weeds” Unwanted plants that attract pests and suck the soil of all its nutrients.

I know the feeling. My Mom was gifted this neat little Ivy plant, she kept for years and years. One year she put it on the deck, thinking it’d be okay. The plant did find outside, even though it spent its life indoors. Little did we know that thing would thrive, spreading its vines everywhere. First year I notice it sprouting under the railing of the deck. 5th year I found it sprouting from the deck to the front yard by the mailbox on a 1 acre property. That’s going pretty far for a little Ivy that spent its life indoors. I finally told myself it’ll be a battle I fight for the rest of my life and it’ll come back every year to remind me this is my battle. Fun in the sun!

Here’s something I thought of a while back. I thought if it in a non-discriminative way. Though it’s got that offensive type of criticism. This idea is something that could be a basis to accomplishing advancement in technology and progress in multiple ways. I want to believe it demands colonist to brainstorm about healthy colony requirements.

The idea is to create a problem that requires attention. It’ll create a goal that involves colonists and put something in perspective for a basis of law or committies. It’ll demand rational thinking and colonists to think about solutions to problems.

My example is the “potato blight” in this post.

Create many reasons the crop is blighted.

Reason 1: Weeds growing in the area, sap the nutrition from the soil, leaving it dry, hard to work and unfertile.

Reason 2: Drunk colonist urinating wherever they like, creating toxic soil level unable to grow healthy crops.

Reason 3: Animals eating the crops, including bugs that cause less produce and even diseases that hurt production for many years to come.

Next is solutions for each problem. Keep in mind that each solution is motivated by a negative effect caused by the problems. Starvation, arguments about where to do what, money and how to distribute rations. And that there’s a cost for each problem and solution. Whether or not the cost is time and effort, grumpy demeanor or colonist or monetary is to be determined.

Solution 1: pulling weeds will help. This is hard and requires lots of labor. The negative effect motivates creative solutions, thinking of ways to get out of the hard labor. This is costly convincing colonists this is necessary to survive.

Solution 2: Holding tanks to sober up drunks will help. It will negatively disrupt loyalty temporarily, making some colonists angry and scared they’ll be treated the same. Will also demand rational and reasonable social involvement of colonist, in order to avoid make the same mistake again. Maybe an introduction to controlling the problem in the future, using chemical solutions by observing behaviors cause by the urine.

Solution 3: Fencing and ways to discourage animals from approaching the area will help. This is difficult and requires men and dogs to make it work. Build resources will be timely and costly to collect and maintaining will be another point to note.

Each of these examples allows for growth and development. With experienced colonists, there maybe options to advance the technology to better solve these problems in the future. Reducing the cost and effort made by colonist may be a big factor, when critical thinking is involved. This method also leads in the direction of unity and expansion, as they learn they grow.

I like this type of idea because it’ll compliment the idea of dangers already being developed, though also advance the monuments I post about earlier.

1 Like

I liked the mention of scions of evil in your post. It’s funny.