Wolcen now on Early Access on Steam

I picked this up recently. Missed the first beta though.

There’s some promising signs there, but it’s definitely pre-alpha. I kinda enjoy picking up games in early development and following along as they improve and grow, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that wants at least alpha/ beta quality, it’s ‘in production.’

I like how you pay for early access, but only get access in weekly spurts here and there. Otherwise, you’re stuck playing an older version of the game that isn’t even relevant anymore.

The more I try to keep up with the development of this vaporware, the more it pisses me off and makes me regret throwing my money away on their hollow promises.

From what I’ve read they seem to have no idea what they’re doing, which sucks cause it looks promising.

Didn’t they just recently scrap a major part of the game and start from scratch?

It’s been dragging on for a long time, but I’ll play it if they ever finish it.

Hopefully it will install on the Operating Systems that are around in 2030… or I will have to find a Windows 10 emulator in order to get my 30 bucks worth of playtime out of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’m a backer. I’ve followed the game since.
But it’s impossible to answer your question.

They have a big issue with communication.
There is absolutely no way to know what they’re doing.
Although, there is a trello to get an idea about what they want to do.

Sometime they show things.
They look nice.
But no idea when they did it.
And even less when we would be able to see it in game.

There may be the TB2 this week.
No idea what will be added/corrected since TB1.

The game should be in EA but we only get access to a prototype while they work on the real game internaly.
They really don’t understand what an EA should be.
There is no point for an EA if they don’t try to get feedbacks from players.

I wouldn’t touch this game until it’s fully released and only then after a week on release to see reviews.

I’ve read that the developer released this game multiple times under different names which is a rather big red flag for me when it comes to how organized they might be.

Multiple times? I know they changed it once because the original name Umbra was someone else’s trademark. So they chose Wolcen. Apparently they also changed thier studio name from Solarfall Games to Wolcen Studio.

I’ve not heard of any other names. Do you have any references/links about this?

That’s the only change and reason I heard about too.

its bit of sad, in my opinion, seeing the state of game, being delay and delay and delay, maybe in 2 our 3 years the game will be finish ( ? )

Btw: new beta test was realese today

It was “released” only once (for EA), under one name: Wolcen.
Only change of name happened between KS and EA (so nothing released yet) for legal reason.

Technical Beta 2 was released yesterday, for two weeks this time.
It’s quite similar to TB1.
There added four skills, four weapons, a NPC, and four new ennemies.
I know they do that to release the beta as clean as possible, but it’s a bit underwhelming to not have most of the core features to play around. :frowning:

I’ve given up and removed it from my wishlist, had been on it for what, two years? And nothing much happened. I consider this vaporware.

I had picked it up on steam, but got a refund. Not far along enough and enough other games to play

I picked it up in December due to it being on sale. Haven’t really played it much

hold your horses, the game as it is - different game to the one they are working on, yeah you’ve read it right - has 20ish hours of gameplay and that’s it. After you played it you have to wait an indefinite segment of time for them to refine / rework / readjust stuff players never seen/played.

Then in months/years/eons of obscure developement you will be able to play a mysterious game eventually.

sounds like Star Citizen. en people still believe that one will get released some day :smiley:

Friend of mine bought it a few years ago and recently tried it again, said that not much happened.Too bad, it looked promising. I removed it from my wishlist but might check it out again in a few years. Who knows whats going on there, might not even be the devs fault that development is so slow.

Uh, I think it’s definitely their own fault, they have way too many ideas and don’t know how to limit themselves to the ones that they’re working on. Fatal flaw in game development in my opinion. How are they still funded?

Though unlike Star Citizen it is at least actually playable without everything going haywire and will likely get to a nearly finished alpha before the money runs out. But who knows, maybe some rich fool will swoop in to fund them, though it would be better to graft on some project managers to whip the designers into focusing on finishing the fucking game.

Where as SC will be still locked in development hell, with more spaghetti bad code layer on top of spaghetti bad code until the dread horror of it warps time and space. Summoning horrors beyond the capacity of the human mind to grasp, those all to human vulture capitalist servants will carve SC and it’s developers up into warped monstrous abominations and bind Derek Smart to “save” it.

And yet the faithful will proclaim Croberts greatness until the stars themselves die, chanting in inhuman voices “Fidelity! Fidelity! Fidelity! Iä! Iä!” while green glowing worms writhe in their empty eye sockets. For long ago they sold their humanity (and their eyes) for more ship jpgs…

/ahem

Fuck knows, though I suspect they made a deal with a VC somewhere along the line. Main issue is they keep reworking good ideas to try and “perfect” them, not grasping that they actually have a fucking game to make and “it’s fun” is all you need to achieve really for key gameplay loops.