Wolcen now on Early Access on Steam

So far, with the release, I am pretty happy. I’m not surprised they ran into server issues - which it looks like they resolved with a patch last night. I had trouble creating games yesterday online, but offline was smooth.

This morning, post patch, I was able to create my online game with no trouble, and didn’t run into any lag.

I did notice that I can’t seem to target mobs sometimes, which I hadn’t experienced in the beta (specifically, bats). To take them out I need to drop an AOE on their location.

I like the UI changes - the health bar, and will/rage bar are more aesthetically pleasing, and easier to track, for me anyway.

The fact that they reduced your skill tree points to 1 per level means slower progression, which I think is a good thing.

So far I’ve got a ranged, and a caster. Haven’t made a melee character yet.

I’d definitely go further and say melee targeting is a clunkfest because of movement physics and because there’s no target snapping. Your mouse pointer has to be exactly center mass of the enemy or your character will move instead of attack. Some enemies seem to have the same problem attacking your character exacerbated by the turn radius of an 18-wheeler. Also not sure if you can go from movement back to attacking without having to release the mouse button and click again. (Playing offline btw…)

Tell me if I’m overreacting once you do. :smiley:

It has to be said though that their should armor game is top notch and that compared to Wolcen Warhammer is downright subtle, Operation Dawnbane, anyone? :joy:

I played this game in it’s way early stages I think somewhere around 2015 or 2016. At the time it was cool, but my mediocre 2016 era gaming laptop could barely handle it (geforce GTX 950m for a card, hah).

How is the performance now? Is it demanding on your machine? I’ve got the feeling it’d fry my 950.

Try turning on “Basic attack” on the options menu, it makes the controls more GD-like, where you can simply hold down left click and whenever you hover over an enemy you’ll attack them. Might solve the issues you’re having, though I’m playing a caster rather than melee so it may differ in your case. :thinking: Things definitely got a lot more enjoyable once I turned that setting on, though.

1 Like

Something around 20 fps on my 1060 gtx all low and windowed mode with resolution downscale. it also crash here and there.
Gameplay is close to D3 when you just run around and stuff die and the only thing you see on the screen is dying creeps with big yellow dmg collors. Also, extreamly clunky combat, with unpredictable character movement and unclear hitboxes.
Character customisation is kinda good, i like it, but, man, its just painfull to play this thing >_<.

2 Likes

Its installing right now, I’ll be sure to give my geforce gtx 950m review as soon as I give it another spin if it doesn’t fry my entire laptop

After about 6 hours or so and I am bored. I am a mechanics guy and like making builds yet there is pretty limited number of abilities with fairly generic effects. While it’s claimed to be classless you are very heavily restricted to which abilities you can access based on the weapon you are using.

Haven’t had many technical issues just a lack of depth to the gameplay.

Anyway back to my new Purifier.

2 Likes

I’ll be nerding out reading all those nodes on the skill dial or whatever its called, provided the game will even run. The gameplay I’ve seen looks really promising but, I could see them only showcasing the interesting things to grab attention.

I’ve tried so many ARPGs man, the most recent prior to this is Last Epoch which is interesting, love the layout, menus look beautiful and the skill system in that game is very cool but… god. The gameplay. So basic and just boring as hell. And the levels, and the enemies, I mean it’s just bad, which is a shame because the skill system is really good.

I’m getting the sense this is going to be very similar.

And I concur, I’m always coming back to Grim Dawn as well. It’s a classic. Every now and then I’ll crave another ARPG like PoE or even D3 sometimes, D2, Inquisitor Martyr, but I always wind up back here, grinding and building, and STILL discovering new things. It’s been like 5 years! Game is just awesome.

Yup. Game won’t even run. Starts up in windowed mode, I see a white W in the middle of a black screen. And then the W disappears. And nothing happens. Game stops responding. Tried verifying integrity of game files, all good. Screw this game lol.

Hm, noticed no change with “Basic attack” enabled. The only things that helps is not using auto attacks or Shift for standing still. Ranged seems to work a lot better, not as elaborate animations that get in the way.

If you went melee, try ranged/spellcaster - the clunk doesn’t get in the way as much.

Yea, the game is not well optimized and rather buggy. :disappointed:

1 Like

Indeed…

Overall score…

Recent score…

They are getting butt-slammed right now and frankly I think they deserve it for the poor handling of their entire early access period and denying the community direct involvement and access to current builds.

You reap what you sow.

1 Like

I was excpecting Imperator:Rome level of reception, but it seem more of less forgiving at this point. If the servers didn’t die on release then i bet the score would be mostly positive.
But the servers died on day 1 and still not working
And it seem to impossible to progress pass act 2 cause crashes and bugs . So i predict the score of 40% at the end of next week and playernumbers dropping to floor like dead birb.

Yup, the server issue is definitely hurting them and the longer it goes the worst it’s going to be and the harder it is going to be for them to recover their score and their public perception. But there is definitely more that needs work than just the server problem. There are a lot of other problems going on with the game that range from bugs and polish to item balance etc. Things that could have been better smoothed out if they had done their early access better.

1 Like

I was giving a peek at Wolcen since they kickstarted 7 years ago (under the initial name of Umbra), just because i like Warhammer like settings (which they blatantly stole) as well as an avid arpg fan since Diablo 1 times.
I honestly was expecting they will shut it down at some point as the 3-4 number of complete system/mechanic restarts they did were in my view - for the bad.

Yesterday i gave up (since i wanted to try a new arpg for a while - but GD is my true love so always coming back to it) gave 35 bucks to Steam (which i hate as well) and prepared to look at the final product with a possitive view as possible.

The result (9 hours later with a 2h melee build lvl 32):

• I think it took the worst pieces of D3 and PoE - char progression (except the skill point progress which i like in PoE), skill progression, inventory layout, itemisation etc
  • Horrible and clunky combat
  • Nightmare of a targeting/hitbox/movement issues (especially if you are melee - GL with Chapter 2 end boss phase 2)
  • Animations are at a 2nd grade univercity level - imo they are worst vs GDs before the improvement
  • Spell effects, textures etc - in general and only thanks to the engine - try to be gorgeous. However GDs armors etc all look way way too better despite the archaic engine so there is that
  • World and setting are a generic yawn fest despite the Warhammer references
  • Voiceover is horrible - but at least there is one
  • combat tries to mimic D3 arcade feeling and really it feels a copy-paste effort with better GFX engine;
  • there is almost zero gameplay & mechanics depth to the game!
  • Itemisation is the usual D3 bullshit - everything scales with your level, all items are like the same except for an ugly half-assed picture in the inventory; suffixes/prefixes are also kind of copy-pasted from D3 - they are that generic
  • Unique - are only at name; they arent build defining (at least those i saw arent) and give stuff like - “immune to crowd control effects” and thats it!
  • Game numbers are again same D3 bloated and overinflated bullshit - i expect end game char will be doing dmg in the tens of millions; even the game font is the same as D3 which is shame i find it very generic for such a game

Edit: actually the game overall feels and plays and looks exactly like a mobile game :frowning:

Maybe if those guys work really hard on improving the game it might be worthwhile after an year or so with a lot of new worthwhile and meaningful content - at the moment in my view is 40% skip or regret thing.

4 Likes

I figure they ran out of money, which is why the released in this state. That and redoing everything 4 times and still screwing up on gameplay front probably means they’ll never be able to fix it, due to failing to grasp Diablo-like gameplay 101 shit.

Oh and using Cryengine for this was probably a massive mistake, sure it can do pretty graphics, but it was designed mainly for FPS games and from other accounts a bit of a mess code wise compared to Unreal or Unity. So frankly they would have been better off using Unreal since Epic provide decent support and a solid base on which to build on.

At least they “launched” though and it’s semi-playable. So many kickstarted games fail to do either of those, or in the case of Star Citizen, turn into a money sucking black hole.

1 Like

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ5MbdnXsAE1ooE?format=jpg

Lords of Maintenance indeed.

1 Like

Played a bit more just to see the story and am now in act 3. Best build has already been figured out (aliments) since you can stack DoTs up to 30 with the passive tree.

Pretty much every other build sucks DPS wise.

So yeah its a fun distraction but there is very little depth to keep you playing long term.

1 Like

EQ5MbdnXsAE1ooE

1 Like

Gameplay. I dunno why do i even waste my time on it.
*muted story stuff btw, its unbearable. Battletech level of writing and the worst voiceover i’ve ever heard.
2 Likes