Xbox one release

Nah, successful businesses have passion & vision.

Like that successful indie company behind Cybercrunch 2077?

1 Like

Put over 100 hours into Grim Dawn on PC but my rig is too old for 4k/60 so Iā€™m hoping I can get that on Series X. Canā€™t wait for the release.

I just wish they kept quiet about the whole thing until it passed certification if that is what is bottlenecking releases. It is foolish to leave people in suspense for years with no clear timeline. Example: Duke Nukem Forever ~12 year wait hyped with no clear release, when it does, a flop. Now take Prey. Overall quiet anticipation, releases a generally positive release.

And we are talking games from scratch, not some coding compatibility, language text box sizes, or in game voice chat bs.

2 Likes

Except that one thing does not equal the other. Duke Nukem Forever didnā€™t flop because of a 12 year hype. It flopped because it flopped. Completely unrelated. If a game is good, it doesnā€™t flop - no matter how much hype or length of time is involved (Iā€™m speaking generally here. Naturally good games do fly under the radar but thatā€™s another matter).

Just like Prey didnā€™t ā€œsucceedā€ because of ā€œquiet anticipationā€. That would be hogwash.

Simply the way it works.

And quite honestly neither of those cases applies here. Grim Dawn is already a more or less ā€œfinishedā€ game. Itā€™s been out for 4 years with expansions and dlc to boot, and it has succeeded well for an indie diablo-like going up against the ever popular PoEā€¦ and D3. It has already done the work, already carved out its own niche. This is merely an Xbox port we are talking about.

You know what? I would agree with you, however, I was speaking in relative parallel to those examples. A more accurate representation would be more akin to the dreadful port of Titan Quest. It is a good game on pc, but we know how that panned out on console. I do by the countless hours I played and frustrating crashes experienced. Tl;dr A good game wonā€™t equal a good port necessarily, and premature announcement has done more harm than waiting for a foreseeable release window by inciting impatience and many feeling in doubt over it.

I get what youā€™re saying on that count but I do disagree on the severity of perceived ā€œharmā€. Quite naturally there are going to be those anal few that throw their hands up in a huff and walk away over imagined injury because they didnā€™t get what they wanted when they wanted it. I feel that the majority, however, just want to get their hands on it and once that becomes possible all the background noise just fades away and in the end all the noise they made was just that. Noise.

And then there are the people that donā€™t pay attention to anything like that at all and just happen to notice one day thereā€™s this game hereā€¦ lets check it out.

People that take shit personal always tend to imagine that everyone else must be on that level too and on-board with their program of swearing shit off because it didnā€™t show up promptly. But yeah, no. Grim Dawn is fairly low-key anyway and the amount of people out there that are just super-hyped over it all I feel sure isnā€™t too great a number.

Prediction for damage results because of perceived harm from delays = Negligible

I actually didnā€™t know that TQ was crashing on console. Thatā€™s never good since the main draw and point of a console is 1) Ease-of-use, and 2) Stability. Itā€™s supposed to just work without the hassle of the PC-life.

I would say lets just hope that the delays are bringing a better port in the end. It pays to keep in mind that while Grim Dawn runs on a long since highly modified TQ engine, in the end its ancestor is that same TQ engine. Hopefully any similar kinks are being worked out by what I feel are Crateā€™s much more capable hands (versus THQNordic and whoever they hire to make their games and do their ports).

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t them taking their time and not rushing a port be more favourable then so that there are few or no notable bugs in the end product?

I feel like people are forgetting that they are a small studio of around 10-15 people as well that are working on around 4-5 projects in parallel and have been for the last few months/years which include continuing to update Grim Dawn, the Xbox port, Farthest Frontier and 1 or 2 others we donā€™t know much or anything about. I think itā€™s fair to cut them some slack and be grateful that they are being transparent about some of the things they have been doing and that they are dedicated to taking as much time on a project as required if it means delivering something that is good at the end unlike some of the AAA games and companies that we have nowadays.

The argument was not that they take forever, they can take as long as they need. I have a problem with throwing a port announcement out with a vague release time (a few months) or when they said it was in Xbox certification 3 different times then changing the expectation to having a bundle which was another wait all over a course of about 3 years. I feel no entitlement for it to release when I want, I feel the fans are entitled to be on the up and up with the progress of the port more accurately than an every 6th month update that is just a three year excuse.

Side note: I really do appreciate the work Crate has done on the game and effort they are putting forth to port it. I bought the big edition as soon as it released on PC back in 2013/14, but my PC is not as accessible and I harbor no anger at the team. Just the lousy info that is slowly trickled about it. Keep up the good work guys.

2 Likes

Hello Dear Zantai,

Iā€™m waiting patiently for the opportunity to play GD on Xbox One, donā€™t give up on that version!

2 Likes

Just now. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hello there ! So i can safely preorder my xbox series x knowin that Grim Dawn is coming on it sooner or later?

So nice to see the Crate Employees responding so quickly !

NOOOOOOOOO!!

Itā€™s not about hitting some specific date. Itā€™s about reasonable expectations for potential customers. This is shaping up to be about 4 years from announcement to actual port. You donā€™t build up hype over 4 years for a port. lol You begin to make people frustrated when you announce a port and string people along year after year. Iā€™ve quit worrying about it at this point. In fact, Iā€™ve written it off. With D2R, POE2, and D4 all lined up for release this year and next, it no longer matters much anyway.

2 Likes

same, i bought an xboxone specifically for this port. But 4 years of waiting is too much, d2 remaster is already on the way. Now Iā€™m not going to buy a gd for the console

2 Likes

Who does this? Well, this guy. But it sounds like a bad investment just to play the port of a game with no ETA that is better played on a PC anyway.

1 Like

Since none of us know how well or otherwise it plays on Xbox, thatā€™s a bit of a stretch. Letā€™s just wait for the gameā€™s release and then see shall we?

2 Likes

Only one person is working on the port? None of us had any idea. When the one person working on the port gets sick, the port is on hold? Remarkable reasoning.

Between your world class patience and access to inside information, Iā€™m highly impressed.

Thank you.

2 Likes

News just posted on the Grim Dawn Facebook page:

ā€œSo this literally just happened. Tonight we finally succeeded in getting a build uploaded to the MS store after months of testing with a QA company to try to meet all the many certification requirements.
We also got a bunch of negative comments from people after the April Foolā€™s post yesterday, one even suggesting we were lying about working on the Xbox portā€¦ cuz reasons. Iā€™ve not said much about it lately because, weā€™ve basically been in the same state since May of just testing and trying to check everything off before we could submit and too many times I feel like Iā€™ve said ā€œitā€™s nearly doneā€ and then it wasnā€™t doneā€¦
Anyway, I donā€™t know that weā€™ll pass cert but weā€™re about to try. I would not have imagined a year ago that it would have taken so long to get here but, weā€™re finally near the end (which I also said beforeā€¦ but for real this time!.. I hope?). That said, I still donā€™t know how long it will take to pass, get a store date and actually release but, once we know something more certain, weā€™ll fill you in.ā€

1 Like

The image for posterity (clearly photoshopped!)

5 Likes