[1.0.7.1] Sting Like a ROCK - S&B Octavius RoK+FW Tactician, Gladiator farmer (9 minutes)

“Float like butterfly, sting like a ROCK”

Hello, wonderful people!
It’s been a while since I played with my old Octavius witchblade.
In 1.0.2.0 Crucible was a lot harder to survive, so Octavius was kinda obvious choice for those who wanted to farm it safely.
In 1.0.6.1 it was still unkillable, but there were builds much faster than Octavius, and it remained alone and unused.
Until patch 1.0.7.1 landed. And then I decided to assemble it as a Tactician and use freshly buffed Rune of Kalastor.

Meet the Sting like a ROCK.

>> Grimtools << no green items used << tweaked by Mercymaker

Clears Crucible in 9 minutes.

Core of the build

• Main damage skills of this build are Forcewave, Rune of Kalastor and Blitz.
  • Core items for this build are Mythical Earthsplitter and Ardor of Octavius set.
  • Octavius is well known for its supreme defenses; it has 3800 Armor, 3800 (hardcapped) DA, huge physical resistance and secondary resistances making it very hard to kill.

Key explanations

• Mythical Earthsplitter is better than Pummeler due to its proc granting 3 projectiles with Internal Trauma. Its shotgun shows better damage output than Pummeler’s Forcewave mod.
  • Mythical Sigil of the Bear King is better than Mythical Mark of Kalastor, its 15% crit + 150% IT mod for Forcewave outperforms Mark of Kalastor by 40-45 seconds in clear times.

Gameplay

• Aggressive hybrid combat. You don’t need to faceroll everything (while you actually can); throw Forcewave, put Rune of Kalastor, push every offensive skill you have and everything dies in seconds. During this you can, i dunno, drink some tea for example.
  • This build has not so many sources of sustain, so on wave 169 try to not engage Theodin and Anasteria in close range. Shot them from distance.

Max crit landed in Crucible (solo, Crucible buffs, no banners)

Stats pane (Deadly Aim and permanent auras up)

Video

Discovering build’s true potential by Mercymaker

More aggressive setup using Oleron by Superfluff

I was wondering how the new Kalastor support is working out for Octavius…

One question: isn’t Artifact Handling worth pursuing to at least to 6/10 for the points from Laceration? I never played Blade Arc and I don’t know how useful it is but to get to AH at 6/10 you’d have to lose about 80 IT/s and 40 phys from Laceration (to leave it at one point) and take one more point from somewhere. It seems ok as Ignition gives 275 IT/s and 324 phys. And the base Kalastor is 800+ phys. 10% of that seems to be worth more than investing in Laceration (not to mention the cdr).

Please correct my reasoning if its wrong, I’m just asking.

Almost exactly how I rebuilt my lvl100 FW tactician after 1.0.7. I never intended using RoK originally, but it seems to work fine and is still a very effective build(though I have Oleron instead of Light of Empyrion.) Look forward to the rest of the guide.

Artifact Handling is not worth it, if the needed points are extracted from Laceration.
IT from Laceration is multiplied by 2.75 + 25% crit damage using BA transmuter, so maxing Laceration is the most effective way to stack Internal Trauma here. In fact it’s one of our main offensive skills.

Yes, indeed. My clear time vary from 8:30 to 9:10 under Vanguard banner. Try Rune of Kalastor, it’s really brutal now.
Guide is on its way, almost done

The guide is ready, enjoy :slight_smile:

Since you use earthsplitter that has AS i’d still charge DM, You get more consistent Dots from a powerful DW rather than the 5 sec CD LAceration

Or try with DM no laceration and Artifact handling.https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKBdzpZ (medal is a personal choice)That total dmg on kalastor and CDR should give some pretty neat clearing consistency

I saw the earlier version and thought it lacked a lot of internet trauma. This looks so much better, almost exactly as I would build it. Good job.

Nope.
This build already has many buttons to press, and charging DM takes a lot of focus. You must charge Cadence, than press Blitz, Doomforce, Ground Smash, then charge DM again once per 4 seconds, and watch CD of all skills…
Just no. No cadence in IT build. Laceration FTW.

Thanks mate :smiley:

Well, i’ve already played Old octavius with DM. This one has Kalastor as well so i’d have to see if it’s that uncomfortable. I would really like to try it with Artefact handling as I’m a fan of Kalastor.

9 min clear is a pretty long time considering how much AoE this build should cover

It’s dot IT build, I think it’s as fast as it can get. It’s not a bleeding Trickster )

Yep, its AoE is superior. But single target damage is kinda low. You can see this on nemeses waves and on 163, IT is not fast killer

I know what it is. And DM got me 1/3 more dot on crits.(I never said it’s comfortable, just that it always got me bigger numbers consistently) Anyway i’ll try a different version and see how it does. when I first saw the patch notes I was hoping Kalastor would be better so I gotta see if i hit a wall face forward

This is a very welcomed thread as I’m just in the process of building another Octavius tactician myself! Please let me know what you think about my “more traditional approach”:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GQL4kZ

Thanks!

It’s traditional :slight_smile:
I suggest to drop Shieldmaiden and take Harp. You’ll be very tight in energy without Harp, this build consumes a lot of energy.
Also, no Obelisk of Menhir is lower survivability, this should hit this build hard, especially with only 5% lifesteal.

Thanks! those are some very valid recommendations, I’ll try to change the build accordingly. What do you think about picking obelisk and perhaps dropping inq seal, still picking blade arc instead or drop some more let’s say in artifact handling…decisions…

Yea made some adjustments and I think you might be 100% correct, your variant is better. Your devotion setup allows us to get 3 tier 3 constellations more efficiently. I’ve followed what you did, only made a couple of slight adjustments. Please let me know what you think!

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a4PdXN

Well for weapon you might be correct also, I’ve picked pummeler because of rhowan’s scepter constellation, if we’re not going for that I might as well use an axe instead. I’m still tempted to drop blade arc, however I’d need to do some testing myself…

Inquisitor Seal is not needed, as you can see in my build.
Octavius is built around Internal Trauma, IT is damage over time, so you can’t just facetank enemies - you need to throw your traumas and kite. All dot builds need mobility to survive, Seal prevents this.

Very valid and logical, I’ll adjust skill points once again, in the end I’ll probably find myself following your build exactly lol

Think I managed a 8:10 run or so.

I am gonna record tomorrow properly after work and see how it goes cause i played like shit and messed up my key bindings. Still haven
t set up the ones from my old PC and I keep swapping weapons mid game :smiley:

Really nice result!
Was it my build or yours with DM and Artifact Handling?

Now I’m really wondering because I gotta admit I’m also inclined to try artifact handling with DM because just as Superfluff I want to see that maxed out kalastor…

And another thing to op, yep I looked at devotion once again and I don’t think it can get much more optimal than your setup. The only thing that I would still possibly change is to pick anvil instead of wolverine. Is there a reason to pick wolverine instead? It probably gives a bit more DA but anvil also gives some, plus we get some additional IT and another skill which is pretty good imo. While wolverine gives retaliation and I don’t think that’s very useful for this build. Targo’s hammer is a nice devotion skill for this build imo