What’s better than lightning? Red lightning, at least in visuals.
From what I’ve seen so far in the forums, Vitality Primal Strike seems to be looked down on due to lack of support, and the Rotgheist Set is probably better used on a Dreeg’s Evil Eye build.
With the 220.127.116.11 change on the Rylok Mark to include Lightning to Vitality conversion on Primal Strike, some have tried but had issues on the Torrent conversion, which isn’t affected by the Primal Strike one. The proposed solution was global Lightning to Vitality, but Rotgheist can only give up to 72%. I’ve thought about using Valguur’s Helm for full conversion, but the bonuses from Rotgheist will be dropped.
With these things in mind, I decided to build a Vitality Primal Strike character anyway, and this is what I came up with:
permanent buffs on, standing near Wendigo Totem and Dying God active, damage is from Primal Strike
damage breakdown for Primal Strike, residual Physical damage is from Mogdrogen’s Pact
Weapon: Wildblood Crusher
- I originally used a Nightbringer but Wildblood Crusher performs better due to the Attack Speed.
Head, Amulet, Chest, Shoulder: Rotgheist Set - Vitality Primal Strike support set; core items
- This is the “Ultos Set” for Vitality Primal Strike. Unfortunately, it can only give 72% max Lightning to Vitality global conversion for Torrent, but it’s fine considering overall bonuses.
Rings: Mythical Cursebearer and Mythical Signet of the Fallen
- Original build had different rings but the Attack Speed added to Mythical Signet of the Fallen made the double Vitality RR ring combo make more sense now.
Gloves: Mythical Voidrend Talons - Vitality damage, Attack Speed, +2 to Possession
- This is the only Legendary Gloves that has both Vitality Damage and Attack Speed, perfect for the build. I also put in Consecrated Wrappings instead of Restless Remains since the build already has lots of lifesteal.
Pants: Mythical Wendigomane Leggings - Vitality damage, OA, Physical Resistance
- The pants really depend on the resistances; you can definitely use other items here. This one just fits what I currently have. A better one could be MI pants with CC resistances.
- Originally had Mythical Greaves of Ill Omens. The one in the Grimtools link is the current best fit to the build. This slot really depends on the CC resistances, which the build lacks.
Belt: Lunal’Valgoth’s Girdle - Elemental to Vitality conversion, +1 to Occultist
- The one in the Grimtools link is the best one I have for the build.
Medal: Rylok Mark - +3 to Primal Strike, Flat Vitality damage to Primal Strike
- The Primal Strike conversion is extra here since Rotgheist already has it covered, but this item is needed to make Primal Strike 26/16. Better affixes are always nice.
Solael’s Witchfire (16/12), Second Rite (16/12)
- Main skill is put at 16 for the extra Attack Speed, Second Rite is for the Flat Vitality damage
- The build’s exclusive skill; not much else to say.
Grasping Vines line (1 point each)
- I got this just to trigger Rattosh proc more frequently.
Curse of Frailty (1 point), Vulnerability (hardcap)
- Just need to hardcap Vulnerability for max Vitality RR.
Blood of Dreeg, Aspect of the Guardian (hardcapped)
- Main skill hardcapped for OA, modifier hardcapped for damage. Too bad I can’t get another point for both.
Brute Force (hardcapped)
- The flat Lightning damage will be converted to Vitality, and the health bonus is always welcome.
Wendigo Totem, Blood Pact (1 point)
- More lifesteal, little bit of damage and heal. Not bad for 1-pointers.
Primal Strike line (hardcapped, take Thunderous Strike transmuter)
- The main lightning strike visual is red, indicating full conversion of Primal Strike. The bouncing lightning is still colored white, so Torrent is most likely not fully converted, or the visual doesn’t change color at all. Not sure about it.
Devouring Swarm (hardcapped)
- More Vitality RR.
Mogdrogen’s Pact (1 point), Heart of the Wild (10/10), Oak Skin (10/10)
- I’ve noticed that the Physical Damage bonus on Mogdrogen’s Pact doesn’t get converted. Softcap for the modifiers is good enough
Ghoul - up to proc only, no need to complete
Jackal, Viper, Eel, Lion, Spider, Hawk - mostly for affinity. The points are really tight in this build.
Kraken - Two-hander? Kraken.
Revenant - All nodes help the build. I’ve initially thought of using Scales of Ulcama for the Flat RR, but Revenant is better for this build. Bound to Primal Strike.
Solemn Watcher - Great defensive constellation, and fits the affinities just right.
Rattosh, the Veilwarden - mandatory for the RR. Bound to Bloody Pox
Dying God - that’s a lotta damage, especially since this is a Vitality build and needs the Attack Speed badly. Bound to Wendigo Rush (medal augment) for 100% activation.
The build performs better than what I expected. I’ve switched different items around and this is the best version so far. Highest crits I’ve seen are around 300k in Main Campaign and around 200k in SR boss rooms. There’s just too many numbers flying to keep track.
The main issues with the build are:
- Sort of squishy - Despite having good Physical Resistance, I still see the Health bar go down quite often, and I need to keep hitting enemies to sustain.
- Vulnerable to CC - Apart from Stun and Skill Disruption, everything else can control you, especially Slow. I always use a Hoarfrost Ointment in SR and sometimes in Main Campaign when I fight Frozen mobs or Alkamos. I have crafted some Stoneplate Greaves for CC resistances, but I decided not to use it until I cleared SR 65.
Main Campaign - facetanked all bosses, need Hoarfrost Ointment for Alkamos. Always move away from Gargabol’s volcanoes.
Nemesis bosses - main problem is Kubacabra, but I’ve facetanked it in SR 65; not sure how it’ll fare in higher shards, I’ll test up to 75 soon. Never catch Aleksander’s meteor or Grava’thul’s pink balls of death.
Mad Queen - around 10 seconds. She procced Serenity, but facetanked all the way.
Not a very fast Lokarr kill, as you can see with the potion timers on the left.
It’s not a very fast SR runner, but it can clear it fast enough. I usually clear shard 66 boss room with around 4-5 minutes left on the timer. Never aggro all bosses at once. I’ve found that using Vire’s shrine helps a lot.
Other Celestials: Probably not. Ravager of Souls was not a fun fight; I died in a few hits. I’ll try Mogdrogen later.
Crucible: I don’t really play Crucible; I think the build needs more CC resistances and defenses for it.
Vitality Primal Strike isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and I’ve learned more about the game mechanics as I was building and testing this. I’m still learning a lot about min-maxing characters, and I am very grateful for the community and the forums for the inspiration and insight.
P.S. I am currently learning how to format posts better.