Acid/Poison Chance on Attack disadvantaged?

Hello everyone,

some items have a “chance on attack” ability. For example, the suffix “of Squalls” gives a 10% chance that a lightning sphere will be shot. Check this:

As you can see in these 4 examples, all of the chance on attack abilities have a 10% chance.

Now check this one:

When it comes to the suffix “of Blight”, then the chance is only 5%.
I have one character that is specializing in Acid and Poison and I like using these items.
Now my question is: Why does Acid/Poison only have a 5% chance for that? Why is it disadvantaged compared to all other abilities of the same kind?

I would prefer equal treatment :wink:

Not that I know the answer, but it may be as simple as: “to keep things different and not make acid a green kind of lightning”.

It could be an oversight that’ll get corrected. It could also be a way of making subtle differences between each one, like how Acid/Poison in your screenshot examples also has the lowest cooldown so is counterbalanced with a worse proc rate.

1 Like

1- Recharge is the lowest among all.
2- Provides good amount of DoT unlike others.
3- Acid builds caster or melee have good ways of proccing things. The better proccer is Vit builds ofc. All damage types have these suffix skills except physical and vitality, though vitality has dark intent suffix on gloves which combines Vit and Chaos damage but haven’t seen one uses it.

1 Like

The of Blight suffix can be very powerful if you build it right. It’s got a short CD and hits hard when your character is built right. Here’s the Boogermancer build from back in 2016:

Honestly, any of the proc suffixes can be built around. @adoomgod made a Fire character and a Lightning character if I remember correctly.

What about this? :wink:

Ironically, lower level items with “of Blight” have a higher chance to trigger the mentioned poison bolt, as you can see here:

As you can see, a level 52 item with “of Blight” actually has a 10% chance to trigger the poison bolt.
Then why do higher-level items have a lower chance for that? That does not make a lot of sense to me, especially considering you need the damage later on in Ultimate.
I hope Crate will take a look at this.

Thanks for the replies and the links to the builds. However, I noticed that these chance-on-attack skills don’t seem to be very popular in the usual endgame builds posted here in the forums.
I find that a bit unfortunate. Are they not really competitive enough compared to other things? I really like these chance-on-attack skills. They are additional attacks that automatically trigger beside your normal skills and you don’t even have to use energy for it.
It is a lot of fun for me to see those bolts, spheres, etc. emerging out of my character and flying towards the monsters. It is like “interwoven magic” of the gear you wear (also a nice idea from a role-play perspective).

They can be, it’s just often that 1 of 2 things is apparent:

1. Builds around using them for a major or primary source of damage like the Boogermancer require getting a lot of gear with the specific proc to maximise their effectiveness and for the core stats every build needs like a diverse range of resistances, OA, DA etc… Not easy to get the equipment for legitimately. Take adoomgod’s Fireball Frank and Icicle Ivan as further examples.

2. The specific affix they’re attached to is being mainly used for the stats on the affix. The proc just happens to be an “icing on the cake” kind of deal, neat to have as an extra.

Then an option might be to allow more stats to be available on an item even if it also has the chance-on-attack suffix. Not sure if that is possible.
The point is, I rarely see anyone using them in endgame builds. And as I said, that is a bit sad. These chance-on-attack skills are part of the game, but then they seem to disappear in the endgame. It’s like a major feature of the game does not have endgame viability, or at least it does not seem attractive enough for many.

I don’t really see what this solves. People will just continue to use those items for the extra stats, not the proc.

This can also largely be attributed to the emergence of Legendary equipment end game which lack these “spam” projectile procs and again, that they are far easier to obtain than the projectile affixes on a relevant base gear piece.

I’m not sure the thing end game needs is more projectile or “proc” spam either so I’m ardently against Legendaries that lack them getting them.

Honestly the difficult part is just getting the proc on every slot possible. The prefixes aren’t as important as they look. A lot are interchangeable with just high resist prefixes.

Fireball frank was solid and icicle ivan was SURPRISINGLY strong. I favor Frank tho, for the aesthetics. The lightning version wasn’t very good but maybe it’s better now. dunno