Component change discussion

In the light of the Seal of Might change:

Some builds used SoM as a crutch to plug a hole where the proper weapon component should be.
Mostly, because some combinations of damage & weapon type do not have a proper component, or the component uses an active skill that doesn’t fit the build or the skill bar.

I think as far as weapon components go, the following could use a rework:

Amber
Blessed Whetstone
Blessed Steel
Severed Claw
Seal of Corruption
Seal of Resonance
Seal of Shadows (the pierce portion is really weird here)
Haunted Steel
Bloody Whetstone
Oleron’s Blood
Deathchill Bolts
Flintcore Bolts
Aethersteel Bolts
Venom-Tipped Ammo
Void-Touched Ammo
Devil-Touched Ammo

I barely if ever see anyone use them, and usually there are better options.

I think some of them would be better, if they had an “on attack” proc, rather than an active skill. Others could probably be a toggle to make them equal to their peers.

I’m sure folks have some opinions on it, so make them heard.

TBH I like resonance when I have lack of CC res and have the luxuary of not needing Might (solved soon :joy:) or Blades for ADCtH. Haunted Steel also gives a nice skill but only for Vit builds.

I think quite a lot of the components you mention are meant to be ‘easily found’ until you have the Seal components. Nevertheless I agree that some could use an upgrade.

You might not see a lot of those in endgame builds, but most of them are useful for leveling.

Devil-Touched Ammo could definitely use a rework though.

1 Like

Other than Seal of Resonance and Haunted Steel, I agree. That said, I have used Seal of Corruption as a proccer (and cause Seal of Might fucks with Aether builds) though I’ve never been happy to have to slot the skill in and I have at least considered Seal of Shadows for some theorycrafts I never got around to.

1 Like

For Haunted Steel,

would you say a skill that can proc on attack to provide a similar buff, would help it’s usability, or hinder it in the cases, where you use the component? The way Insight or Battlecry work.

Because I found it very clunky to slot another skill on most spammy attack builds, while also watching the long cooldown.

I’d say it’s fine as it is. I treat it as a manually proccable Ghoulish Hunger, not used for most situations but when there’s a Fabius on my ass when I’m at 30 % HP, I’m glad to have it and be able to control when it gets used. Making it a passive proc would actually nerf it IMO because it gives it the same level of unpredictability as Giant’s Blood or Wayward Soul. The one regret I have with the component is the conversion, which makes it unusable for phys builds (unless they themselves convert into phys first). But I guess that’s partly what keeps it balanced.

1 Like

Bloody Whetstone is useful for meme bleed builds :clown_face:

Agreed 100% with every sentence. Don’t touch my Haunted Steel. I prefer it to Ghoul because I can control it. W/o it some of my builds are dead, i.e. my Fire Blazerush FoI. Other players use it too sometimes, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS0nkdFR7Dw Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator by banana_peel

Given how the feedback on Haunted Steel is “Don’t take away my baby”, there might be design space for a dedicated leech component without damage affiliation. :smiley:

Because as a Vitality component, it seems to not see much love.

True I never use it unless the build is desperate for leech; the Vit aspects might as well not be there, at most the only other thing it does is help shore up my Bleed res in emergencies. I’ve never touched it on a Vit build, though that might change after phys res removal from Seal of Might. That alone might reshuffle my preferences, but I won’t get around to looking into that until FoA.

Lightning Nova is pretty good for leveling when there are multiple enemies around you / you come across a Fire resistant enemy. If not you should swap to Fire Ball.

This component is for increasing your armor piercing. How would you like to change it so that it’s not OP? Maybe we could increase Weapon Piercing to 100% because having to use 2 of these to reach 100% in some builds seems like too much.

Hard for me to justify including 1 more button for one target for 20 RR when there’s Elemental Storm, Seems like a skip.

The best fix for this component imo is to remove it from the game and allowing more skills to proc Arcane Comb.

Useful as mentioned a few times already.

The skill on it is actually very good. There were builds around it in the past. If you convert the damage, you get a 1000k + 100% weapon damage per hit since it hits two times. Necessary for an optimlal Balegor’s Crusher build

I use it sometimes in my builds. Good DR value and you can proc some skills well with it.
But it could see it being changed to a proc or at least given some AoE to DR.

Would be nice Greater Icespike shot 2 projectiles instead of 1 so that it doesn’t suck in comparison to Greater Fire Ball and Greater Lightning Nova

What would you change about it? I wouldn’t want for it to lose its role a great leveling starting skill.
Casting Fireballs manually is way cooler than having some stupid proc instead.

I’ve never used / thought about using any of these skills.

I personally would gladly ditch the all the component leveling skills, if that means lightning melee builds and most ranged builds have a proper offensive component.

I can see the appeal of slinging fireballs, but I don’t think it should be come at that cost for other builds.
It should be on a dedicated item or another component, maybe Spellwoven Threads or Blazing Ruby, in my opinion.

Some of the others could just use a numerical adjustment or a buff to make them more appealing.
+15% slow res to Resonance for example.
Or turning Oleron’s Blood into an actual option for physical builds.

What do you mean by a proper component, like meaningless 50% more damage? Why is Seal of Skies not good enough already? Coldstone is a proper component to you?

I don’t mind these components being more meaningful but as it stands they are not and the changes you want wouldn’t be noticeable even and you’d want to sacrifice cool leveling skills for them :laughing:

Speaking of fireballs - I would love to see some type of Greater Fireblast skill added on an item that would be endgame viable… just love slinging fireballs all over the place

I think you and I just play very different builds, so we view GD through a very different lens.

Not sure why you bring Seal of Skies into this. It doesn’t compete with Coldstone.
And no, it’s not a replacement for builds that just want a lightning version of Coldstone.

Personally, I’d never use Fireblast or Lightning Nova for leveling. I don’t think that niche (yes, niche) should go away, but also not occupy that slot.

And when I hear “but this one build uses that skill with that item” and I’ve never seen or heard of it, I just can’t help but wonder how much you’d see the component if the skill was more usable.

Whetstone and Devil ammo would be better if their skill CD is reduced. Whetstone itself need their pierce ratio increased, since their main use is for those weapon with less than 50% armor piercing. Some piercing axe also only got like 30% pierce ratio that using dual whetstone still not enough to convert it.

1 Like

It not being mentioned in the Discord echo chamver

1 Like

As I said in the Seal of Mights thread those are great and have a lot of use. Agree about other components (unless they are used during leveling a lot).
Lack of coldstone-esque components for Lightning and Vitality is a bit sad, latter doesn’t really have good components after seal of might change.

You seem to take it very personal, that I don’t think Flintcore Bolts are the bees knees.

Using a component exclusively to level for 20-30 levels is niche in my book - that has nothing to do with a “discord echo chamber”. I never give much about conjecture and opinions on discord or the forum either way, I usually try things myself, to see if they have merit.

The last time I tried Greater Fireblast, it was quite the let-down.

The granted skill of Fireblast/Greater Fireblast will work better than softcapped Firestrike at this point

In my experience, they are roughly the same, once you cap FS and Explosive strike, which you can easily do by the time you could equip Flintcore.
Fire Strike with explo has more single target dps and more area coverage, while Fireblast has more area damage, but in a smaller area, in my experience.

I much prefer Fire Strike, but obviously I’d use BWC typically, if I want to be efficient.

So yeah, I think all the people you quoted (many of which are the same folks over and over, talk about echo chamber) are wrong, subjectively. But that doesn’t mean I want to take away your precious Fireblast, I would just move it to a different component.

But to put this to rest I’ll try Fireblast again, when I start my Shieldbreaker.

I wanted to remove “the Discord echo chamber” but I left it out by mistake because actually I found many mentions of Fireblast when I checked for it as seen in the screenshot and also I edit my posts when I find them too toxic. But since it has come out - it is indeed what I think of GD Discord :stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously you combo Fireblast with cooldown BWC in this scenario. In case you do some weird thing like using just Fireblast and nothing else. And of course it’s not only about Shieldbreaker or only about leveling Demolitionist. I regularly come across disingenuity in GD spaces that’s why I mention it.

It’s like 20 players many of which are very experienced builders / creators of guides.