Grim Misadventure #20: Soldier Mastery - Part 1

Hello, Grim readers, and welcome back to Grim Misadventures! As you may have noticed by the playtesters lurking around the forums, we have begun the Friends and Family phase of development. These brave souls are helping us knock out some of the remaining critical issues that must be addressed before Alpha can begin.

To hold you over in the meantime, we will begin a series of updates that will familiarize you with the three masteries available to you once Alpha begins. Up first is the Soldier!

Standard “ultra-pro” build

“Soldiers of the imperial army were trained to survive in the most hellish conditions and hold the line against the nastiest enemies of the empire. Soldiers prefer the use of close combat weaponry, such as a sword and shield, but can also prove formidable with firearms. What a Soldier may lack in outright damage output is made up for in fortitude and leadership.”

A soldier excels in the thick of it. He charges into battle and unleashes crushing might upon his foes. One man and many monsters may enter; but only one man and some bloody smears will leave. Soldiers excel with melee weapons, but are not restricted to them. Most of his skills do not carry any weapon requirements at all.

Below are some of the skills you can look forward to as a grizzled veteran of the imperial army:

Cadence
“The use of weapon forms in combat gives your attacks a natural cadence with peaks and ebbs that, while predictable, are none the less effective and difficult to counter. When used as your default weapon attack, Cadence will magnify the power of every 3rd strike.”

Cadence is the core combat skill of the Soldier mastery. When used in place of your left click, your auto attacks will generate charges. Every third charge, you will slam your target with an overhead swing. Modifiers for this skill add bleed damage that resonates with nearby enemies and a chance to unleash one of three devastating effects with every Cadence.

Forcewave
“Such force is channeled into the attack that it compresses the very air, projecting out a wave of energy that stuns and damages foes. This attack requires a shield, two-handed crossbow or rifle.”

Forcewave is a close combat wave attack which stuns your enemies. It also serves as an excellent early level area of effect attack. Modifiers for Forcewave cause it to reduce armor and increase the stun duration along with added bleed damage.

Will to Live
“Unwilling to yield to death, you muster a final surge of strength and fight on with renewed determination.”

Will to Live is a passive defense skill which activates at low health to provide an instant heal and a temporary increase to health regeneration. The internal cooldown is short which makes this a reliable life-saver, but becoming too reliant on it could spell disaster in a tough situation.

Zolhan’s Technique
“Named for the famed fighting master, this attack uses a low center of mass and powerful thrust to imbalance your opponents.”

Zolhan’s Technique is a passive attack that triggers on your base (or Cadence) attacks. Whenever it activates, you will strike several nearby opponents with a heavy melee attack that drastically reduces their attack speed for a short duration.

Building your Soldier:
Players focusing on the Soldier mastery will find a variety of close combat tactics as well as buffs for both themselves and their teammates. A soldier is a natural leader and a capable protector of his otherwise squishier allies.

Players focused on other masteries would be wise to pick Soldier for their second mastery if they want more survivability and some close range control. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Commando, Witchblade, Blademaster, and Outlander.

That concludes this week’s demonstration. Please return in two weeks for the follow-up to our Soldier introduction (05/13/13)!

Attachment: Soldier Mastery.jpg
Attachment: Cadence.jpg
Attachment: ForceWave.jpg
Attachment: WillToLive.jpg
Attachment: ZolhanTechnique.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing this. Can’t wait for alpha and beta to see these skills in action :slight_smile:

Moar!! Roar !!! Roar!!!

I guess that first build wasn’t exactly a success then…

Anyways, since Zantai never gives us an update this soon in the day, probably medierra will say something about how the development is going later.

Nice but sad that it isn’t alpha today :frowning:

So much hype but I suppose a few more weeks won’t hurt… guess I’ll be getting familiar with my Shaman in Soul Vizier.

Looks great!

10 active and 16 passive skills, for 26 in total.

Heavy on the passives, but you stated that the solider had a 50/50 split between passives and actives.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3141

I’m guessing the other Masteries (especially the ‘nuke’ mages) are the other way around?

Thanks for update, Zantai.

… but 8 of those 16 passive are upgrades for active skills, which make them pretty “active” to me :wink:

I would have loved to see the full occuklt skills, as that one will be my first, but its nice to see the this skill tree, very impressive indeed

Thanks for another comprehensive update Zantai, but I do have one question:

I thought “nastiest” was already changed to “deadliest” in Mastery Descriptions - WIP?

Very minor…but some reason that line doesn’t convey the same tone as what precedes it. Goes from “hellish”…which sound grim and brutal…to “nastiest”…which I dunno just sounds kinda lame. Mosquito bites are nasty, rotten eggs are nasty…deadly enemies of the empire should carry a little more dread than that :smiley:

I’d personally write something like:

Combat Mastery (name not finalized)
In the imperial army, Soldiers are trained to survive in the most hellish conditions and hold the line against the brutal/vicious/demonic/imposing/deadly/unrelenting/savage/mortal/wicked/bloodthirsty/ferocious* enemies of the empire

*choose one :p[/QUOTE]

medierra later edited the original description to “deadliest”, which IMO seems much better. Like Renevent said, a minor thing, but I reckon it just conveys the message of that line better. As for the rest of the update Zantai, I must say I’m quite impressed with how the Soldier mastery is coming along, especially the Zolhan’s Technique skill - I’ve always loved skills with lore behind them such as this. :wink:

Once again, thanks for the great update Zantai, hope we get to see alpha soon! :smiley:
Cheers,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

I overlapped at SCAD with a crate member for all of 5 minutes. That counts as friends and family right?!

(Nice update, thanks!)

Heh, me too! Still, I did enjoy this update. Perhaps the soldier will be my second mastery and I’ll be a Witchblade! (Hope that’s the right title!)

Buh, I was gonna go with Occultist/demo hybrid when Alpha hits (I fancy spell casters/ranged) but I really like what I see here.

I hope there aren’t TOO many active shield skills since it’ll kind of pigeon hole 2-hander/DW soldiers (I am aware there are no melee 2 handers in Alpha).

Looks great! This is going to be my first class.

Thanks for the update!

I guess there is setbacks in alpha, which is understandable… we all want enjoyable experience, so I guess some more waiting wouldn’t hurt…

so it seems like solider is more like a rather tanky mastery… hmm, should be interesting to combine with a DPS mastery at full release xD

Next update on 5/13/13 wow so guess the 1-3 weeks is getting pushed back a bit :slight_smile: Anyways keep up the great work guys looking forward to playing something soon Soldier looks great so far. Ill just have to keep myself occupied with my new Nomad in TQIT :slight_smile:

nice update nice and very coll skills and i m sure the game will be the best game in furter 5 years or more for me,so in this case i say- no alpha better we wait 1 month more and the release beta version cause i m going mad(i m sure is the same with other people) really cant wait to play it lol.

The Alpha announcement will not be done by me. Don’t read too much into that date. :wink:

Not everyone will be getting into the Alpha. While there will be no NDA, these updates will still be a great source of information for people who have the beta access tier, full release tier or haven’t pre-purchased anything yet but follow the game (or are on the fence regarding making a pre-order).

That’s all i need. I’m much happier now :smiley: