Grim Misadventure #56: What's New in B22

I didnā€™t play TQ with friends much, but most of the friends I play other games with are playing GD with me now, so it wasnā€™t an issue then but could be now :slight_smile:
Also, I didnā€™t buy early access TQ but only got in after the game had launched, so I had less of a chance to influence the design process :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure I understand the reasoning behind your approach/problem. If Kilrian has a 1 in 10 chance of spawning with a Skullbreaker in a single-player game, it would just be increased to a 4 in 10 chance (or however loot scales) in a 4 player game. There wouldnā€™t be more copies, he would just have one more frequently. Itā€™s still WYSIWYG which is a brilliant loot system and one I loved in TQ too. In the individual game, there would be one Skullbreaker and its drop would be handled as it is now (instanced or split loot). It would just spawn more frequently.

Nah, that would be a bad solution and I agree with Zantai on that, I guess.

Letā€™s start with the basic premise: 4 people who can clear a dungeon (letā€™s go with AU for the Skullbreaker example) at the same rate together as each could alone, should get roughly the same amount of loot and XP when playing together as they would on their own. Otherwise you end up punishing players either for playing alone or for grouping up. Both things have happened during the course of Diablo III balance, and both things royally sucked. Nothing worse than knowing youā€™re reducing the loot for both parties by grouping up with a friend.

Letā€™s take 10 AU-clears as an example:
4 guys who clear it separately for a total of 40 runs will get 4 Skullbreakers in total. (if we assume 1/10 is the current droprate).
4 guys who clear it together for a total of 10 4-player runs will get 1 skullbreaker in total.
These 4 guys are penalized for playing together.

If you increase the chance that Kilrian spawns with the Skullbreaker by the amount of players in the game, he will spawn with it in 4 out of those 10 co-op runs. Each time he only has one, dropped either to one player (instanced loot) or dropped in one copy that all players can loot (split loot).

Being punished for grouping with friends was what made me stop playing Diablo 3. I really hope it doesnā€™t become a thing in Grim Dawn too.

The more I think about the extra tabs of shared storage, the more Iā€™m leaning towards the opinion that it would be better as personal storage. Hear me outā€¦

4 tabs of shared storage is good and all, we will now have 3 more pages of storage than we used to have. However, this is a finite and limited increase, itā€™s just 3 extra tabs and thatā€™s it. If instead the 3 extra tabs of storage were added to personal storage, it would then effectively be unlimited extra storage. If i have 5 characters, then that would be a total of 20 pages of storage if the extra pages were in the personal stash(4 for each char). With the extra pages being shared storage, then it remains at only 4 pages no matter how many chars I make.

Having the extra tabs as personal storage would make muling way more convenient for people. Instead of needing 10+ mules, most people would then be able to get by with only 3 or 4. Something like thisā€¦ ā€œEpics, Rares, Componentsā€ with possible additions of ā€œBlueprints, Relicsā€. Since each char would have 4 full pages of personal storage, we wouldnā€™t need multiple mules for each of those categories.

No amount of limited storage will ever be enough for some people, though. Thatā€™s kind of why some people love the stash system in Path of Exile.

As to the new tabs being on the Transfer Stash, I suspect people will continue to use the process of copying around different transfer.gst files, which in effect gives them unlimited storage.

Iā€™m currently working on a program to make managing this process a little easier, but I donā€™t know when it will be done and I need to wait to see how Crate handles the new transfer tabs. For example, will it still be 1 file or 4?

Thank you for this update.

Juuuuuuuuuuuust because no one else has asked this, will B22 have a level cap increase? I ask because the item comparison is of Level 50 items.

The devs have said many times that a level cap increase will happen when there is more contentā€¦and so far this does not include any further content.

A bit longer :wink:

Adding more artists? Crate will have to answer this. Partly answered in [post=178456]this feedback[/post].

ā€¦aka Act III :slight_smile:

Well shared stash is also important if you play HC. Having 4 personal stash tabs in HC and then dying would be worse.

A mix of shared stash and personal stash would be the most ideal.

Well I feel foolish.

Thanks for the reply :smiley:

Thatā€™s excellent news. Another thought of mine, was that maybe crate could just embrace the transfer.gst method of storage, and add an in game feature that allows us to both save our current shared stash, and browse folders to open new transfer.gst files. This way we wouldnā€™t have to constantly alt tab.

I doubt that would happen though. Iā€™m glad to hear youā€™re working on something to make it a little easier. Definitely let me know if you need anyone to test it out lol.

I have to say ā€œHOLY ****ā€. That I call an update!! Keep it on! I would like to see trophy room for all my sets though, gotta be competitiveā€¦like 1 of 70 collectedā€¦after 10 hours of farmingā€¦heh :smiley:

or you do away with mules altogether and just have copies of the shared stash, which is the norm for GD :wink:

Easier, doesnā€™t require leveling a mule and you can exchange stashes while in-gameā€¦

To expand on this, I imagine it actually also applies to non-MI drops to the extend that monsters will drop epics and non-MI rares that theyā€™re wielding too, so itā€™s not even just an MI issue but a general multiplayer-penalty. Thinking of it like that, I REALLY hope itā€™s something that gets reworked before release. Multiplayer penalties are awful :frowning:

No more mind bullets? Awwā€¦

Awesome job, u guys could raise the max level cap to 40 or something near it so we can test more complex builds and have more challenge with higher level monsters!

First post, been playing for over a year now I think, got in with the kickstarter. 200+ hours now anyway.

Quality of life/polish patch looks great. Honestly my only complaint with the game is the awful amount of storage. I feel very strongly about it, enough that I finally registered :stuck_out_tongue: This is a loot collecting game, I do not understand why it would be so limited. Out of all the patches weā€™ve had so far I was looking forward to this one the most as I have organizational OCD.

This patch is very disappointing in addressing this issue. Just adding 3 more tabs to the shared? Ugh. All this is going to do is cut down the amount of files I have to store and tediously organize outside the game. Please rethink this decision Crateā€¦this is a loot collecting gameā€¦let us collect loot, we are doing it anyway, just inconveniently! I really donā€™t understand this decision. :confused:

Other than that, great patch and keep up the good work. This is a solid game.

Or have iron account wide sharing!

You know what turns off players? Giving them hundreds of things to collect (literally) and only space to store a miniscule portion of it. I currently have been uninterested in GrimDawn for awhile now and it basically is because of the lack of item storage.

Up until this patch I didnā€™t know about the multi-stash structure that all the forum regulars were doing. Iā€™m playing the game the way the developers see fit to have it (with just a single stash) and I have to admit it sucks balls. It actually will keep you from playing having to deal with the utter lack of space to store stuff.

And to top it off the developers waste time and resources to build things like dynamite and honey which is just truly an extension of wasting storage space.

I also kept wondering how Med can keep referring to Diablo and itā€™s utter lack of space and how that can be justification for the lack of storage on GrimDawn and why didnā€™t it make me cringe as I am right now every time I try and store loot in Grim Dawn. And then it hit me, in Diablo I never played without Plugy which had infinite storage, and in TQIT I never played without TQ Vault. The basic game would have driven me bananas.

Seriously, by the time you release GD itā€™ll be 15 years since Diablo 2 (probably 16)ā€¦ can you seriously still use it as the benchmark on the correct and useful level of storage?

Dejnov.

P.S. Iā€™m still ticked of about wasting resources developing dynamite and honey instead of storage space. How can you even think those are crucial valuable much needed development items and greatly extended storage space isnā€™t. You need to get your head out of wherever it is and listen to your damn customers; not wasting time on stupid pet projects that no player will even miss (and didnā€™t even waste time thinking about until you introduced them).

Seriously DYNAMITE AND HONEYā€¦ what are you thinking?

Please, please, please, add combining of COMPLETED components or stack partial components indefinitely with optional split! Auto-combine feature is good, but many of us has tons of completed components as well.

Wow, someone really dislikes Dynamite and Honey :slight_smile:

With respects to the tabs, why not have the first 5 tabs buyable with ingame currency and then let the players buy extra tabs for like 50c real money eachā€¦similiar to PoE and make them a bit more customizable. Sink an extra $10 into the game and BOOM, 10 or 20 extra shared storage tabs. :slight_smile:

Just a thought.