Happy Fourth Birthday to Grim Dawn!

Happy Birthday Crate Workers!

Happy Birthday to first ARPG to really captured my soulā€¦ that sounds bad, but itā€™s a good thing I swear! Coming from an RTS and WoW background this game opened my eyes to the depth a game can have, and not just in a mechanical wayā€¦ but in a way with lots of personality and themes. I love it. Thank you Crate seriously.

1 Like

Happy Birthday Grim Dawn !!
And letā€™s go for the Bear Simulator :bear:

I am so happy this game smashed every measure of success that I had hoped for when I backed it on KS years ago! Happy birthday wonderful game I still love! Thank you, Crate! I love yā€™all and your wonderful baby!

Thank you so much Crate & Team!

I supported Grim Dawn even in early access and Iā€™ve enjoyed the journey :slight_smile:

Get some rest enjoy the fruits of your labour - you have my support for any new developments you genuineness work on in the future!

No rest for those lazy devs. :wink:

Truly something to look forward to, I donā€™t mean to start propaganda here but after playing Grim Dawn and getting a few chars to level 100 the simplicity of D4 is not interesting me in the slightest Iā€™m relying on Crate to get my fix in the future hahaā€¦ no pressure!

Not sure if anyone noticed but the GD Logo for the patch is with a new color scheme - icy blue.

Combine that with the background image of bears/werebears? - might be we are for a suprise with an ice themed XP3 hmmm - might be Z`s secret project?

One can dream

I doubt it since he said his main focus is no longer on GD.

But he said that his project would be ā€œinterestingā€ for people who want more GD :slight_smile:

Still GD continues to be so successful and the recent boost via Wolcen`s failure not only brought huge influx of new players (who didnt know of the game due to zero marketing) but also proves despite being 4 years old people just want more and more of it.
Purely from business perspective - its a recipe for continious revenue stream, coupled with making Crate``s name visible and being associated with the ā€œgood/decentā€ dev teams (very few of these exist nowadays) just enables for their next games being exposed to much bigger audiences.
Not last - Crate obviously love GD as well - they prove this with every patch.

Might be that they decided that any potential content of another XP can be broken down in small bits and released every couple of months as a patch while they prepare to come up with their next big thing.

Whatever it is i am anxiously waiting what is next in store for GD`s future.

1 Like

I doubt that. Expansions are a lot of work and you think theyā€™re going to release it as free patches? I really donā€™t get it. Crate have made it clear there are no more expansions for the game.

"powbam: and this pretty much confirms GD expansions are for sure done. Even tho ive already felt that.

Zantai: I thought Iā€™ve been pretty blunt about a possibility of a gdx3, hah. All things considered, FG did very well, but it just doesnā€™t make sense for the team and for the game to bloat things with a third expansion. A 10th mastery would just blow up items."

Where is that icy blue color you speak of

I believe itā€™s in the steam page, the totem update show original grim dawn logo with icy blue

1 Like

Indeed i was put down by those comments when they were made!

Still despite i dont browse forums/boards in general a lot, everytime i go to reddit or steam - there is yet another post or two asking for xp3 or more GD content - let me tell you from my professional experience that this is a clear indicator there is a significant demand for more paid content.

And while PoE really is not my cup of tea (i dont play it) we have to admit the content they have, systems, etc is astronomical and now they introduce another skill tree on top of their old one!
Still hundreds of thousands of people play that all the time - it shows that obnoxious complexity has its market, and no i am not suggesting to bloat into ridiculous levels GD - just that there is space for more without getting to the extremes of PoE.

Yeah, I see some of that on FB as well. But I think we live in a ā€œgive me moreā€ society these days compared to years ago. Thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing, but itā€™s not necessarily a good thing either. For me a 3rd expansion would just make the game way too long to play comfortably through 3 times - and yes, Iā€™m one of those who does like to play like that. I donā€™t want to skip and leap about the difficulties; I like to play GD - AoM - FG in order on all difficulties.

The other thing most people asking for expansions arenā€™t considering - or maybe it doesnā€™t even occur to them - is that the devs have been working on the game for 8 years now. They want to do something different, try out new ideas. They get tired of the same thing day after day after day. Another expansion would also mean probably raising the level/devotion caps, another tier of gear and maybe another mastery which brings balancing headaches just by itself without all the rest.

Plus as Zantai has said the GD story really needs a sequel more than another expansion. There are still a lot of loose ends that could be used for a sequel, but donā€™t really fit for just another expansion.

I say be content with what we have and look forward to what else Crate will make for us to enjoy, be it GD related or not. We got so much more than the original 10-15 hour game Medierra started work on. Let GD be finished, get it ported to Xbox where hopefully it will win many more fans and in a few years hope that Crate will decide to make GD2.

5 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head there medea in that we want the story to continue, so rich is the world Crate have built.

Thereā€™s already so much content for all types of players (except competitive online types) to keep us more than busy enough, but the world of Cairn feels like it has so much more to tell, to explore and expose.

Thatā€™s where I get sad, that without knowing of a certain future (e.g. GD2), this might be where the story of Cairn stopsā€¦

And Glimpse, if you look outside of seasons with PoE, Grim Dawn has actually had similar concurrent players online recently. I think that says something for an offline-focused game based on an old engine thatā€™s four years (excl. EA) old!

1 Like

HB GD!
Itā€™s been emotional. Ā©

Agree, GD is already like an lvl 100 fully packed character. Complete and well done, still having tons of variations (not even counting mods). Time to start new one for the healthy cannibalism :scorv:

Happy birthday, Iā€™m just a new survivor in the hood, meaning I just discovered the game, but I wonder why I didnā€™t before. It brings me back to countless hours playing some similar games in my teen days, only that now, with Grim Dawn -and the years- the experience has improved. Congratulations I enjoy every minute of the game.

2 Likes

Welcome!

You got the expansions yet? Game is spectacular, and so much content! I wish I could rediscover it all over again. Savor it, man!!! Savor it!!!