[How To] Use Main Campaign Characters in Custom Campaigns

===Thread Outdated!===

Refer to this video, by Depravities, for a means to use symbolic links to copy characters over. Note that characters can only be copied from Main->Custom; you cannot copy a custom-created character into the main campaign.

======

I thought this was impossible until we got something like GDDefiler working, but turns out its pretty easy to do this time around, differing from Titan Quest (that I recall).

First off, if you’re using Cloud Saving, don’t. Pretty sure you can’t do this with Cloud Saving on.

Navigate to your Grim Dave save folder:

Notice the two ‘main’ and ‘user’ folders. Go into the ‘main’ folder and pick a character you’d like to use in a modded campaign.

And, as you may have guessed, copy the ‘_CharName’ folder into the ‘user’ folder.

That’s it, you’re done! You’ll be able to use whatever character you copied over into whichever custom campaigns you wish.

Seems pretty straightforward, right? Well, not quite. As some of you have noticed by now, progress in new campaigns with copied characters doesn’t save! How could this be, and is there any way to fix it?

For some reason, when a main-campaign character is saved during a custom-game, the save is recreated in the main-campaign folder (i.e., ‘main’). So if you want to keep your custom campaign versions of your main campaign characters up-to-date, repeat the above steps each time you exit a session. This does not apply to characters made in the custom campaign itself; they will save correctly.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this or any questions in general! Hope this was helpful! (And hope Crate fixes the saving irregularity)

Attachment: GD Main Folder.gif
Attachment: Userdata Folder.gif
Attachment: 111597711.gif

3 Likes

Thanks Ceno for the tips, but I got a request:

When I try to move one of my .gst stash to a mod folder (grimmest in my case) for the campaign to replace the one we get by default, it doesn’t work. I can override no problems but when I open the shared stash it goes back to the one before the override. I also tried with one item and it’s the same. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Even with a new char when you buy all 4 shard stash slots, it’ll revert to you not having purchaed them. It’s not saving or keeping shard stash for some reason. I tried digging back because this seems familiar to about 18 months ago or so (?) but couldn’t dig it up.

I cannot seem to find the save files…

I disabled the cloud saving but my save folder of the same file-path showed in the first picture is much more empty than that and doesn’t include “main” and “user” folders.

I don’t know where GD is saving my characters :confused:

You can find your save folder here
…Steam\userdata\117273804\219990\remote\

Then, copy them and paste there to use offline
…\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

I don’t have these folders or the one listed in the top post… never had steam cloud saving on.

Any ideas?

Thank you !

Those folders that named “_CharName” are his characters :slight_smile: you have your own char when you created and played them.

transfer.gst is the whole thing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\save (not in use by me)
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save (in use by me)

Make sure “USERNAME” is right.

Yes, I know, but I don’t have the folders with any characters in them… Looked everywhere in Grim Dawn folders.

You can find all your characters in this address :slight_smile: nothing in Grim Dawn folders but data game as you can see :slight_smile:
…\Steam\userdata\117273804\219990\remote\save\main

Ah sorry I am at work, have looked in there too - it’s empty…

Here are my folders…

I guess you have already turned off cloud save, so your save files are in your document folder :wink: And your characters are here …\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

If it’s not, I surrender :rolleyes:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks mate! Found them LOL

crate hotfix saves plss

Hot fix them how exactly? :confused: There’s no real problem here

I managed to get my main hero into my mod by playing a custom character with the same name. No copying needed.