Is there a mod to remove fog in zones?

1 Like

[Tool] Grim Internals

Keep in mind that only toggles off GrimInternals related UI tho. Edit: my bad, it appears that it DOES toggle off the whole UI. Any name-plates tho (character/monster etc) need to be off separately in the Configurator screen it seems.

To toggle off GD UI completely (without GrimInternals) requires you to be playing a Custom game, which provides access to the console and commands like:

Console Commands Reference

Speaking of GrimCam and removing the fog layer tho @GlockenGerda do you think it would be possible to put in the fog removal that GrimCam does into GI itself? The reason why I ask is that while I like what GrimCam does (as far as it comes to the camera stuff) I don’t like how it “feels” moving the camera around (very abrupt and jerky). It lacks that smoothness of motion that Grim Dawn’s camera action has. Crate actually did a fantastic job on perfecting camera motion in the game.

If you had the fog removal in the base GI tool tho (or a way to enable it without having to have GrimCam active all the time) I would have my first real reason to use GI on the regular.

More edits: Hmm… now that I look at it closer tho…

…GrimCam’s ini does have sensitivity options. I’ll have to play with it to see if I can replicate the default GD camera feel.

Ah nevermind, you can make it feel a bit better but you can’t get that same fluidity of motion. The suggestion still stands for me then, Glocken, if you could possibly add in the fog removal :wink:

1 Like

Great pics. I threw together some more quick 'n dirty before/after comparisons, in Acts 1 & 2. Should give a good idea of whether people would find it worthwhile. I’ll try to do some for Acts 3 & 4 this weekend.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

1 Like

Sure, no big deal!

1 Like

Aw fer real? Awesome! Wasn’t sure if that would work :smile:

That would be perfect then. Thank you.

1 Like

:wink:

5ef22ee7c196c799434234

5 Likes

I’m amped for it now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is AMAZING! Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

New GI version is up with the disable/enable fog checkbox.

4 Likes

I have to thank you again GG! I love it so hard that you made the fog removal a feature in your mod. It makes my heart swell every time I think about it. You’re good people, GG! Sending you ALL of my virtual hugs!

1 Like

That wasn’t a big deal, but I’m glad I could help! :mask:

I take it this is only possible if you using GrimCam ?? Or can it be used without that mod as well ?? Asking since can’t seem to find a settings.txt but might be looking at the wrong place ??

Yeah, that is only when using the Grim Cam mod.

Alright, thought so. To bad since it does look much better without the fog. Ahh well, maybe next character ! :crazy_face:

Thanks for confirming it though ! :beers:

It isn’t a “mod” like DoM, RoT, and the like. No need to wait to start a new character. You just download it and drop it into the GD install folder and away you go.

If you use Grim Internals (Which is an amazing Quality of Life improvement that you should be using) GG included the fog removal in that mod. I honestly will never go back to regular fog. You don’t need to use the Grim Cam mod to have the fog removed. Honestly, Grim Cam has not been updated in a really long time so you should probably not be using it. Grim internals is updated after every patch so it doen’t cause any problems.

Ahh ok, so GrimCam is not a mod, thanks for that correction. :upside_down_face:

But Grim Internals is a mod and should be used on a new character, right ?? :thinking:

Nope. GrimInternals and GrimCam can more be considered “tools”. They are 3rd party - they operate from outside the game and tend to not need nor require “new” characters or Custom games. Tools can be found in this section of the forum: https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn/utilities-and-resources

Tools/utilities tend to lean toward what some might call the more “hacky/cheaty” side of things - tho this isn’t necessarily always true. Stuff like game-related file manipulation and various QoL functions are what you will find with tools.

Actual mods operate inside the game and are made with the same tools with which the devs made Grim Dawn - you are intended to create a Custom game/characters etc. There are some slight exceptions here that can blur the line on that (some of GrimUI, for instance). Mods can be found in this section of the forum: https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn/modding-projects

Mods are stuff like new content, masteries, overhauls of mechanics etc. In effect, anything that you need to use a Custom game to access the material - is a mod.

Understanding the differences between tools and mods in GD is key.

The only way that GrimCam works in any fashion in GD anymore IS if you are also using GrimInternals. In effect GlockenGerda has become custodian, in a sense, of GrimCam - enabling it to continue being useful. As far as I can see it still works just fine as long as you are using GrimInternals.

1 Like

Thank you @powbam , for that detailed explanation ! Very much appreciated ! :beers:

And yes, I have Grim UI: X-mod which is a mod, and unfortunately is making it impossible to use grimtool’s build calculator I’ve noticed. But, guess there has to be some draw backs when using mods, even if it’s just to alter the inventory space. Although, had to use GDStash as well, since it was in the middle of my playthrough and didn’t want to start with a new character. But I am guessing even if I were using just the Grim UI: X-mod, I still wouldn’t be able to use the grimtool build calculator since the profile would be in a user save folder and not main save folder.

1 Like

Any characters you make in “Custom” are automatically flagged as mod characters and GrimTools does not read characters that are flagged as mod characters. This is primarily because most mods feature original masteries and gear and whatnot and Dammitt made GrimTools to only focus on “vanilla” content.

GDStash has a toggle in the character editing section that allows you to toggle the “mod” flag of modded characters on or off. With a Grim UI: X-mod character you technically could safely toggle this flag OFF and then load the character into GrimTools (because GrimUI doesn’t change anything mastery or skill related, it only makes UI changes), then when you want to play the character again just toggle the flag back ON.

Note: I would advise that you have the game completely shutdown when toggling and saving the character if you decide to do this.

1 Like