[Mod] Reign of Terror

The trigger for her to spawn the zombies is you attacking her. So if you never hit her, she wont spawn any.
The spawner has a 11 second cooldown. Spawns 3 per spawn and has a max limit of 12 adds. But, as the life duration is 33 seconds, in practice you shouldnt have more than 9 at once. After 33 seconds, they die and thus explode anyway.

On attack skills get triggered by anything player related, so not pets. As for hydras, they’re played scaled pets but i do think they dont trigger skills on your gear (should be easy enough to test on a dummy to see if they proc anything).
Life leech is based on %weapon damage parts on abilities. As hydra’s dont have %weapon damage anymore, they no longer leech for you.

Thanks for the explanation, it’s appreciated. But I’m wondering how a pure caster is supposed to get noticeable amounts of life leech then. I’m using Eschuta’s Temper, which provides huge bonuses to skills, but doesn’t have a lot of base weapon damage. I’m still missing ingredients for Heart of the Oak, but it wouldn’t be a huge upgrade in that regard either. On top of it, most spells only include a rather low weapon damage%. For sorcerer the highest one is Meteor with 25%, a skill I don’t want to use because of the long CD. But even if I would add Enchant to the mix it’s nowhere close enough to be able to outleech Andariel’s damage.

Are casters supposed to autoattack inbetween spells? Serious question, because I don’t see how you would do it with spells alone.

Spells alone, especially the spammable spells, have enough to leech usually. Fireball for example especially when combined with tal rashas sets. Another option is devotion abilities. Compare it to GD or D2 though, where you cant leech at all as a caster unless you have some specific skill modifier from an item that adds life leech or weapon damage.
It’s not that bad honestly despite seemingly low values. Life regen can also help a lot. You want to avoid damage as the typical caster. Not take it and leech it back.

The top end rune with +1 skills. Is it saying it’s a normal +1 skills instead of increasing skills for pets? I used to think it would not increase your pet levels, but it should for ALL skills including pets right? :smiley: Just like any other +1 all skills?

I don’t complain if the game has been running a whole day and it goes black. Once in awhile. I did get the Act 1 passage crash in Hell, went to level two which I usually don’t do, lost experience permanently after dying to the world boss. That’s my only crash with this character that I can recall, but it’s been 6 months in the making.

Been running on the DSR setting below 3x right now as a balance for the UI and actual improvement vs. performance. I installed this cursor mod, the remastered version that’s not nearest neighbor and the cursor is now BEAUTIFUL:

8x AA seems to clear things up ALOT! I do sharpen to max, which is technically 200%. That’s because I’m not running normal 4x DSR like usual, I’m doing 100% smoothness and setting the desktop resolution to the EMULATED resolution, and then in turn the game resolution to match. It’s a much stronger effect and has more blur. Between the blur and the sharpen it’s basically a remaster of the game. I posted that here as this mod has some super old assets from TQ in act 2 that’s not good. :smiley:

The mod installs in the My Documents (look at instructions) so is independent from RoT and SUPER easy to install!

I really enjoy the smoothed out textures. I can slow down a bit on a gtx1080 but with only 2x supersampling and it’s smooth most of the time. I don’t even have my card OC’d right now (forgot after my machine was hacked).

Almost through hell, still feeling very balanced, tough to keep up the damage without endgame gear to keep it going fast, but otherwise it’s not been that hard in this minion based build. I’ll try world bosses and ubers soon if I don’t get bored. :smiley:

I may choose these settings with base GD later but it’s not nearly as needed as this mod, it really boosts the visuals a great deal. I don’t usually use AA, but it seems to make it look far better with DSR/sharpen than usual. I have it at 8x. I never tried it like this before with desktop DSR AND AA, it’s a double load and made my old 1GB card go to a slideshow if I accidentally turned it on. :smiley:

I was just tired of the bad old textures in both GD and RoT. The best test for framerate is act 3 with all those gidbin warriors around. If it can handle the 30 enemies or so running at you, you should be good for the rest of the game. :smiley:

Summary:

2.25? DSR with desktop resolution set to it.
100% smoothness with DSR
200% sharpen (EDIT, just added, forgot this one) aka., slidebar all the way to the right
Game set to desktop virtual resolution.
AA settings at 8x (if your system can handle it)
2x SS (supersampling) as higher settings will destroy your framerate

I got this performance and fantastic visual quality from the LATEST Nvidia driver where sharpening and SS were all reworked and running much better. Thanks Nvidia.

The result should be you no longer see bad artifacting or super blurry textures. Depending, text may be blurred a bit. Settings for a 1440p monitor only, if you have a 4k monitor just run at native resolution of the monitor and try some of the other settings! Try 1.5x DSR to get a light blur and see if that helps, suicide on a 4k to go higher, but it’s the only way to get the smoothness setting turned on, which will help the textures when you sharpen them up (don’t sharpen it as much on a 4k display as there’s less blur).

If your UI is too small you can adjust it manually in the text settings file for the game itself, but not for the cursor which requires the mod (I looked that up on Google search).

I may try DSR 4x but I doubt it’s necessary, the more you smooth it out the more texture detail is lost and your framerate is affected.

As a bonus I use a similar technique with VLC player on old TV shows (with desktop DSR, 2.25x or 4x for really grainy shows). It has a guassian blur (called spacial blur in the player under advanced) and a sharpen you can run simultaneously, for best results uncheck and recheck the sharpen filter before applying effects, it looks best if you set it to sharpen the picture before you blur it, as it gets rid of any artifacts. Can work with low quality 720p to 480p or less, more will cause you to lose frames. gtx1050 or higher recommended. Gaussian blur shouldn’t be much past the first bar on the slider or the sharpen will never be enough, the sharpen itself is trial and error depending on the input video, for anime/cartoons go much softer.

Zod rune increases the player skills, despite the +1 skill bonus being in pet bonuses for some reason. Should say it in the item description.

Feedback on behalf of one of my friends I am playing with:

Is this something you can look into, @Ram?

Sure, consider it done for the next update.

1 Like

Would you consider making the runeword bases down-/upgradable like runes? Since I reinstalled the game I played two chars to level 71 and 76 respectively and that’s what I’ve found so far:

Mind you, I dropped quite a few more duplicates for weapons and armor than what is shown here. But for shields, that’s everything, two 3-sockets. So I neither can build Splendor or Spirit. I tried to farm Forgotten Temple in Upper Kurast, cause it’s very small and has lots of destructibles. No dice, found a 6-socket axe though.

It really doesn’t feel good to know one of these is so much more rare than the rest. If this is done for balancing reasons, increase the shield base droprate and switch the runes for higher ones. At least then you can work towards a goal (upgrading runes). With the bases, you just have to pray for them to drop or you are stumped. With two 70s I should’ve at least picked up a 2-socket along the way, that sounds reasonable to me. It’s not like a +1 skill would break the game for a leveling char. Thanks

Its itemlevel/monster level related. You can usually just buy a 2s shield if you are below lvl30

I’m still dropping 2-socket armors/weapons left and right with my current level in NM and hell. So basically you’re telling me the shield drop restrictions are different from the rest? And I’ve never seen a single shield at any vendor I checked.

I havent checked in depth the loottables for shields, they’re slightly different then the armor one. But at lower levels you can buy them. If they’re not there, just refresh until you do.

As for the 4s shields, I’ve found them as early as act6 normal and act1 nightmare.

Also, try nihlataks temple, flayer dungeon and worldbosses in hell for the 4s shield.

Will give that a try, thank you. It just seems weird that there is such a heavy droprate bias towards shields…I probably found over 100 armors/weapons, but only 2 shields. By now the droprates should have evened out, unless a decimal point is set wrong or something.

Here’s my collection at level 88. Yesterday I just started doing world boss runs after finding out I’m not strong enough to defeat Terror ubers for Uber Tristram, and I just completed Hell two days ago. Keep in mind I found MANY 4 socket Seraph rods that gave me +3 all skills quite awhile ago, but simply left them on the ground. I probably found the 4 socket item in nightmare? It took along time, but I finally got one. :smiley:

I can confirm the 4 socket shield is rare, but only if your item level average drop rate isn’t high enough. At a certain point it becomes almost common and is a guaranteed drop.

Note on remastering: A LARGE part of making your picture looking good is simply having proper contrast/brightness/color saturation. On my IPS gaming/art display I have the monitor set to 100% contrast, my control panel contrast set to 90%, my brightness to 80, and my color saturation is at 66. AA changes the characteristics in a strange way and makes things washed out, so that’s important! Reducing color saturation can help reduce eye strain if it physically hurts like my sensitive eyes can at times.

But Fuzzydunlop just said he started finding them during the transition from Normal to Nightmare even. Both my chars have completed NM and haven’t found one…in 12 acts combined! That’s not cool and way too rare in my opinion. That’s why I think the bases should be transmutable like the runes.

The runeword shields also require surprisingly low runes, I could build the Spirit shield 20 times over. If only I had the base.
Screenshot 2021-11-30 231618

I much prefer the other approach for high-tier runewords: rather common base, high level runes. That way the player at least has a chance to work towards that goal by slowly upgrading runes. If I’m missing the base item, I’m just SOL.

EDIT: As if I needed another proof that complaining on the internet always works, I just dropped a Monarch shield after some more Forgotten Temple runs. Now I’m unsure what to do, should I build it right away or wait for some more levels? Another craft had higher numbers than the projected values in the crafting window. Is the outcome a dice roll or does a higher player level always lead to a better result?

Cant do much about that as this is simply how blizzard made these runewords in D2. But, dont forget Dream, Phoenix, Dragon or Exile runewords. Those shields arent cheap to make.

You’re simply unlucky it seems. I never found it terrible how long it takes to get a socketed base
The higher end bases have an additional chance from worldbosses.

As for the rolls, cube shows the minimal value it can roll iirc, so it tends to always roll higher. Your level doesnt matter.

The portals to and from the Shattered Conclave do not seem to work with a gamepad. From outside the sigil they do not work, although you see the button hint above them.
grafik
You need to move next to the portal (in hugging range) so that the game processes your input and takes you through to the other end.

That is actually the same problem with mouse both in D2 and this GD D2 TC. With a mouse I have to move closer or father away, depending, to step into portals. I highly doubt it’s a problem with the controller option. :smiley:

1 Like

Are you referring to the regular waypoints? No issues with them with a gamepad.

I have issues with both portals and waypoints, hard to click on. I never considered them the same problem until you suggested it just now.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I just started GM ROT, I got to level 8, and finally got the Thorns aura.
I can not get the game to allow me to use it.
It is in the skill section of my character but I can not use it from the skill page or assign it to a hotkey by right clicking it to a free hotkey number.

I added both updates to my mod folder when I added ROT to my copy of GD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve