New Forum Feedback

I tried as well and it worked fine for me too… interesting to see that some people have such issues. If it’s not for eisprinzessin and maya i would’ve argue it that it might be some personal issue but so…

Wonder if it’s a browser, mobile, tablet, etc, related issue? I tried the search on both Firefox and Edge and both were fine.

Opera, Chrome and mobile all give the same results with the wanted threads (P1 & P2) at the top, even using what know far finds it.

What I’ve figured out when I was working on my filter thread was title matches have priority and the search doesn’t go through the entire post, it stops at some point. When I had my list of keywords at the end, the search couldn’t find them, but works fine for the upper half of the post.

For me it works without quotation marks. I am on Firefox Nightly.

can backgroud be not so bright in mobile version?

2 Likes

I know how to navigate to https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn, but I’d like to have a button / link for it, which I can always find at the same location. Can it be added to the pull-down menu next to your avatar?

It would also take two clicks, but loading https://forums.crateentertainment.com/ takes a bit longer than opening the menu.

Btw,I was just about to write it.Since yesterday I see this orange background,which makes reading the white letters really hard.Where does the black background went?

I set correct GD backgrounds on all the categories today…apparently that applies to mobile.

I’ve added a script to show a solid background on mobile instead.

3 Likes

Thanks,now it’s good.Solid dark background.

Thanks Zantai. Nice to have the FG background back for the forum. :smiley:

1 Like

I have just understand that after I’ve revieved Member badge
I don’t recieved any new
I see at by Popular Link badge. It is more than 100 at my link but still nothing

Any time I do a google search and pull up the forums via link for EXACTLY what I am looking for, it instead brings me to the forums home page and doesn’t bring up the link I clicked on.

Yeah its like google doesn’t know about the new forum at all :confused:

Hopefully it’s just a google ranking thing of the old Grim Dawn domain the forums were using. So the longer the new domain is being used it will resolve itself, however until then some searches might be more successful if you start with “Grim Dawn crate [search terms]” rather than “Grim Dawn [search terms]”, because it will also list this forum (sometimes). Also start posting links to the new forums on reddit and stuff (when it makes sense, obviously), it also boosts the domain rank.
Other cases where it is still the old forums, just copy & paste the thread title into the forum search and it should list it at the top. Anything with the domain: grimdawn.com/forums/ will just throw you to the main page of the forum from where you can use the forum search.

Just a matter of time (months) until the old grimdawn.com/forums/ results are after the forums.crateentertainment.com results. Could also be possible for Crate to change the Grim Dawn forum title to Grim Dawn Forum rather than Crate Entertainment Forum at least for the Grim Dawn Category, if that’s possible with Discourse.

Yes, exactly. It’ll balance out over the next few months as new links get generated. Had the same when we formed the titanquestfans.net website after the old tq.net died. Took a few months for google to “see” us, but now we’re the first thing that comes up usually when you do a search.

Well, the main page is for Crate Entertainment forums since it’ll also host the new game/s when they’re done. Once you actually click on the GD FG link then it takes you into the Grim Dawn forum.

Yep and I mean changing the title just for the GD FG category/section, if that’s possible. It seems possible to change the background image, I assume it would also be possible to have different titles per category. If it’s only a global change it makes no sense to call the new game’s forum Grim Dawn Forum. Just to clarify what I’m talking about, it’s the end of the text when you hover over the tab.

It’s been 7 years since I’ve done anything in regards to SEO, but page title is/was a huge deal for google crawlers. The description meta tag kinda uses the text of the post, so that’s gone for google unless everybody puts Grim Dawn in their post :smiley:

Well, the new forum doesn’t say Grim Dawn so I don’t really know where you’re getting that from. It says Future Projects. When Medierra eventually (if ever! Get a move on big M please! :upside_down_face:) gets around to telling us the name of the new game then either that will change to the new game name or a new forum will be made for it using it’s name.

I think you misunderstand what I’m trying to say :slight_smile: I’m not talking about the new future projects category as new forum, when I say new forum I mean the forum as a whole with all the categories (GD, future projects, off-topic) and I’m suggesting to change the title for the GD category, if that is possible without changing it for all categories. I’m quite possibly using the wrong terminology for Discourse :crazy_face: and once the new project has a name and its own category it would be a good idea to use the project name as title for that as well.

quick summary for SEO

Roughly 7 years ago when I did SEO a crawler would make a HTML snapshot of a website, mostly looking at domain, <title>, <meta name="description"> & <meta name="keywords"> and page content at the end, sure content influences the results, but it’s not the most important part to rank the result. Somehow the keywords thing has disappeared from new sites, not sure if google just doesn’t look at it anymore or if new devs just ignore or don’t know about it.
In order to generate as much traffic as possible (trying to be on page 1) you should have the same keywords in title, description and keywords, because it’s something google judges as a great result. Something to keep in mind is JavaScript generated entries won’t be seen by the HTML snapshot, so at the time when everybody was doing AJAX sites, this was a pain to deal with, because it meant everything was done through JavaScript. Assuming the tech hasn’t changed and crawlers still use HTML snapshots a title/descripion generated with JavaScript won’t be seen by google.

using details coz wall of text

I don’t think much has changed and after a quick google search the part I’m talking about is here:

in this picture

I won’t find it when I’m trying to look for Grim Dawn on 10 pages and after that google just says, “no more entries”. I did get one singled out result and only because one of the replies has Grim Dawn in it.

So I do this search

the bold results are obviously the search terms, but even than nothing about Grim Dawn and that Crate Entertainment Forum is at the end of 2 visible titles, but most likely at the end of all of them they are just too long to be displayed.
While the title in the first picture has Grim Dawn in it, it seems to be generated after the fact via JavaScript

or the source code would be different

Nothing about Grim Dawn in one of the most important parts of the source code, only Crate Entertainment and I doubt anybody is gonna search for that.
The description tag I mentioned is filled with the contents of the OP, so unless everybody has Grim Dawn in there or at least one reply has Grim Dawn in it, the crawler will most likely not consider it as a result.

That is all I’m saying, I don’t want them to change the title of other categories (hell I don’t care if it’s changed for this one, it’s just a suggestion - take it or leave it :wink:), but if that part can be changed for only the Grim Dawn category of the forum it might make google searches better. It’s just an idea I can’t say for sure unless I take apart the source code for Discourse. It also won’t change my search behavior since I’m using the forum search.

None of that applied to the TQ change, because it still has Titan Quest in the domain and the title. There is a pretty good chance search results won’t change for some threads unless the crawler has something to work with (title, description, keywords or content in form of replies).

Ask Google to recrawl your URLs

1 Like

I have an issue that I don’t recieved any new badges
I see at by Popular Link badge. I’ve update links in my threads this weak. More than 50 clicks and nothing…