Ranged WPS for non-Inquisitors

Hey, it’s become a staple since AoM that only inquisitors are worth a damn when doing an AA replacer ranged build. Why? WPS of course. Multiple bullets on storm spread, you name it.

In the case of many other mechanics, (see, melee DW) there are gear-based tools to get DW on non-nightblade combos, or even WPS on wps-scarce combos. This isn’t the case of ranged, especially 2h ranged. Jaxxon’s Lucky Bullet is nowhere near enough especially for non-pierce builds. Additionally, some masteries with WPS neglect the ranged side of things (Soldier, Shaman, Necro)

What I’d like is to see the other masteries (Soldier, Shaman, Necro) bring something to the table when it comes to using their weapons ranged, and for the WPS-starved mastery combos new WPS granting items should be added (Sorc comes to mind, but Pyro pre-darkblaze could use it too)

Notable mastery skill options:

• Zolhans Technique - could use 1-3 additional bullets
  • Markovian’s Advantage - Could explode?
  • Feral Hunger - +1-2 extra bullets shotgun style?
  • Reaping Strike - Explode?
  • Necrotic Edge - +1-2 extra bullets parallel (or volley-fire like gunslinger talisman)

I’m not sure about gear yet, but any underwhelming sorc, pyro, heck, even ranged aa nightblade gear could use a wps proc to spice them up.

10 Likes

+1 from me. Oh what will happen with Defilers if Necro’s WPS skills explode with Fire Strike :stuck_out_tongue:

Think of death knights too! Or defiler with passthrough gun’s double-explosions.

• 1 from me. It seems to me rather unfair that if you invest 12 points in WPS skill (Necrotic Edge, e.g.) and use it with a ranged weapon, it turn in only 1 bullet instead of hitting 5 targets.
    So I think the restriction should be deleted and NE could hit 5 multiple targets while using ranged as well.

Why you hate Inq so much?
Each thread someone write “need nerf Inq”
Now Inq only support mastery. Inq have only Box damage skill that work fine.
Now you want “take the last Inq panties”
Stop it. Why you don’t say “Hey, Soldier have Armor Absorption, let’s make another masteries with it”
Each mastey have some unique feature

#SaveInqUniqueness

DW melee builds are still at least 90% Nightblade and far above any other non-Nightblade DW build.

I don’t mind better support for DW ranged in other wps, but Inquisitor will be the king of ranged regardless. That’s the point of the mastery and this “ranged being the best with Inquisitor” as being bad (you don’t outright state it, but you are thinking it) needs to die.

And it’s not like there’s already DW ranged builds that are not Inquisitor that work, like Darkblaze Pyromancer.

-1. Ranged WPS should be inq only. DW melee WPS should be nightblade only. Shield WPS should be Oathkeeper only. 2h WPS should be Shaman only. We already have items that provide what’s needed for the other classes to go for those archetypes. And lmao there’s way less options for non nb dw wps, it’s basically just direwolf, while ranged has jaxxons, relics, and stronghold isn’t even technically an inq set.

1 Like

I was against the box nerfs, fyi. Also, Buff Horn of Gandalf and Rune of Kalastor.

InqUniqueness or InqUbiquity are different concepts. I’m fine with Inq Uniqueness, but the purifier monopoly on ranged AA builds (or to a lesser extent, pierce ranged tactician and lightning ranged savagery vindicator) needs to go.

Look at the old compendium. What do you see?

Inquisitor being the king of dw ranged “out of the box” (not storm box), without any specific gearing is fine. Inquisitors being the king of All and Any ranged, 2h, dw, gun and shield, or even gun and focus, is a problem. Why? Take a look at the gunslinger options in Build Compendium V above and see what we lost.

Physical Havoc Witchblade
…and the Elemental Havoc WB
Deviltongue/exterminus Gunslinger sorc
…and Mad Lee’s greenless version of the same Deviltongue/Exterminus sorc
Barrelsmith/Ulzuin’s DW gunslinger sorc
non-darkblaze Pyro (while we have darkblaze, it’s good to keep it in mind)
Or even this uberhybrid conjurer

DW melee can make use of any other melee WPS that exists (and most wps work much better with dw melee than ranged), same with shield. DW melee ALSO has the same relic options as DW ranged, + things like Notched Bone.

Stronghold is technically a universal ranged set, held back by the inherent weakness of gun+shield setups (and lack of +skills). Fun tidbit: it’s considered best with paladins, tacticians and purifiers. No surprises here.

Ok
Why you not write
“daggers are magical weapons for magic-builds, they must have Cast Speed”
not all daggers have cast speed
and not all mastery must have wps for Ranged builds

Why not? WPS is mandatory nowadays, so why not spread the love?

ok
1-st day we have wps ranged skill for each mastery
2-nd day we have Unviversal RR skill for each mastery
3-d day we delete GD from each PC

this is your way

because telling people to play something else is clearly better, right?

WPS is far too much of an advantage in case of ranged, it’s not even funny. Why not delete all the other WPS skills from everything? Why not delete the direwolf crest, the relics, etc?

Oh, and 2h ranged should not be inquisitor, it should be shaman. Inq wps should be dw only.

By your logic.

Look, if there was any other way to make gun sorc capable of doing 6:30 to 7min runs, and the same SR depth as purifier, I’d take it. But if you look at it, the big difference is (Not even dw ranged, which IS the inquisitor specialty.) the WPS that makes purifiers perform magnitudes better than sorc, even with 2handed. Heck, even the Ugdenbog Arcaneweaver, supposedly a sorc weapon, functions far better in a purifier setup.

Surprise, surprise, it’s poor balance.

Look at the build compendium again. If you have any other suggestions on how to give the sorcs and witchblades (or even conjurers) a ranged facelift, not even necessarily DW ranged, just 2h ranged will do, I’m all ears.

There are a lot of things in game that not usable
I can’t understand why we need change something Uniqueness but not change what realy will help differents builds

It was never unique in the first place. 2h range for sure wasn’t at least.

There are things which were clearly usable, but because of inquisitor, are suddenly not. I want them to be Usable Again

Then let’s change this mythical “something” that’ll help those different builds. For starters you could specify what you’re talking about.

My argument, to recap, is that giving other WPS sources a ranged facelift, not necessarily to inquisitor levels, just enough that the mastery's own flavor can compensate for the weaker WPS would help bring back struggling or extinct ranged builds (which thrived before inquisitor happened) into the current circulation of the game. Similarly, adding or revising Gear-based WPS choices would help other fire strike setups.

If you think there’s something else to be done on the soldier, necromancer, shaman, or even oathkeeper side (gun&shield) I’m all ears.

If you have anything to be done to give Sorc it’s own darkblaze (for example), then please go ahead and let us hear it. If you think Sorc can be brought back without a WPS, then I’d like to hear how.

You sure that’s the reason why those builds disappeared? Cause it’s not. It’s the desire of builders to tackle difficult content aka crucible and sr. All those builds you linked? Not cruci viable. The reason why you never see those builds posted is because no one posts pure campaign builds anymore. That’s another issue independent of this one.

Take note that there are only very few non nightblade dw melee builds that are cruci/sr certified for this patch. There are even fewer non inq ranged builds for that, but ranged in general is weaker than melee nowadays so that’s not a surprising observation. If you go outside the hard content then that list suddenly becomes wider.

1 Like

do you mean that one dreadscorcher defiler, which was almost battlemage-tier when it was posted?

can’t fix that. Gotta reward those who defeat harder content. Gotta keep the campaign peasants in the mud.

its been a public knowledge that inquisitors are probably the only class with complete support for ranged AA builds. its also somewhat a meme that inquisitors get chaos rr, aether rr and elemental rr, while occultist and arcanist doesn’t have those rr. also, inquisitor seal makes you really tanky.

inquisitors are basically op. from lore perspective, it kinda fits. since they stole artifacts from all kinds of groups, also have spies everywhere.

i do support a few more buffs like explody bullet/multiple projectile wps to other masteries. it won’t make inquisitor lose its ranged wps uniqueness, since inquisitor’s ranged wps deals in pierce/elemental. soldier is physical/pierce/trauma/bleed, demo fire/physical, necro vitality/aether, shaman lightning/bleed, occultist chaos/vitality/fire, nightblade pierce/cold/acid, oath trauma/fire/acid. but those wps from other mastery shouldn’t be more powerful than inquisitor to make inquisitor ranged wps still reign supreme.