[REL] Grim UI

It is just a DOS program, and you need to add the relevant arc file path later.

No problem.

Itā€™s a command line program and will require a .bat or .cmd file. Hereā€™s a thread about it:

[Tutorial]Use the archive tool to uncompile *.arz and *.arc - Grim Dawn / Modding - Tutorials and Help - Crate Entertainment Forum

1 Like

Thanks, with assistance I managed to get the files extracted! I believe I got all of the .arz resources put into my mod correctly. It was pretty simple to just import them in their .dbr form into the proper places in my mod. However, Iā€™m having a bit more trouble with the .arc assets. Just putting the .arc directly in my resources folder doesnā€™t work, as when I build the mod it removes it. I can extract the needed .tex files from that as well (as you suggested) and import them as sources, BUT the Asset Manager says it canā€™t auto-create assets for them. Since they arenā€™t actual assets, the mod canā€™t use them. I also tried directly putting the .tex folders into my modā€™s assets folder but my mod just gave me a slew of errors saying that they werenā€™t properly imported assets. Iā€™m so close - do you have any more advice on how to proceed from here?

Content to be integrated: ā€¦\mods\Grim_UI_X-Mod_Hoarder

Great, Iā€™m glad you got them extracted!

Yeah, I see your problem and thatā€™s my fault, so I apologize. I didnā€™t take into account that everytime you build your mod, youā€™d have to replace the .arc file. My advice is, you should just extract the .tex files I mentioned and put them in your ā€œsettingsā€ folder.

Hereā€™s the deal with the Asset Manager and the .arc file:

Itā€™s looking for source files to create the assets and then, ultimately, the .tex files from. These would be .psd (or .tga) files, which is what you would Auto-Create Asset ā–ŗ Bitmap with. Then the AM would be able compile an .arc file correctly.

The TexViewer.exe allows you to save a .tex file as a .psd, as well as other formats, for editing.

Alright. Yeah I tried manually saving each file as a .psd and then turned each of them into an asset .tex, which when I built no longer gave me any errors. However, in-game, nothing still shows up, or I should say the character sheet is invisible with weird colored squares all over lol. Where is this ā€œsettingsā€ folder you mention? The only settings folder I can find is directly in my GD Directory, and not related to any of my mods. So adding anything there wouldnā€™t allow anyone else using my mod to also have the assets available I assume?

Iā€™m not quite sure what youā€™re trying to show me here, sorry. I can directly put the .arc into my mods sources but it doesnā€™t do anything for my mod in itself, and I canā€™t create an asset out of it.

The missing textures are most likely due to an incorrect path issue. If youā€™re creating the .arc file, it has to be named Grim UI X-Mod.arc, otherwise, you will have to change each .dbr fileā€™s texture path to that of what you are naming your .arc file.

I assume that the Settings folder youā€™re referring to is in ...Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn, correct? If so, you can use that or you can create one in Grim Dawnā€™s installation directory. If one already exists in GDā€™s installation folder, you mustā€™ve created it. Whatever the case may be, you can use either one.

And yes, if you use the Settings folder, there are no assets available to share. You can, however, simply share those .tex files.

I did notice the other day that the paths werenā€™t right, but unfortunately setting them to the proper directory didnā€™t seem to do anything. Iā€™m pretty stumped as to what else I can do at this point. To break it down, hereā€™s what Iā€™ve done and what Iā€™ve got:

1. I extracted both the .arz and .arc files from your mod.
  2. I placed all of the .drb files from the .arz you mentioned with ā€œcaravanā€ or ā€œcharacterā€ in their name into my database via the Asset Manager and the import button. I made sure to create the proper folders and subfolders for them to be located in.
  3. I converted the .tex files from the .arc into .psd using the TexViewer and then imported them into my sources. I then auto-created assets out of them. Note that I tried both bitmap and textures of each format and all final results were the same.

4. I discovered that my new .tex files were in my Resources folder of my mod, and double-checked them in TexViewer to make sure they did indeed contain the images you created for your mod. They do indeed seem to be the proper images.
  5. I manually set the path of each .dbr file I imported to the proper .tex file from my resources. I used the little search button that lets you directly choose where to grab the image path from.
  6. That should be everything as far as I know, but when I build my mod (which at this point gives no errors) I still end up with thisā€¦

Sorry for the large slew of pictures but Iā€™m hoping that maybe if I lay everything Iā€™m doing out on the table you might be able to see if I missed a step or got a step wrong. (Sorry Iā€™m bugging you so much with this).
1 Like

Do you mean extract the files? Because if I just slap the .arc into my mod then building it immediately deletes the .arc. I have to import the files manually or my mod wonā€™t save them. At least that has been my experience thus far.

Iā€™ve tried that, but whenever I build it deletes the Grim_UI .arc from my resources folder.

Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m not quite getting what youā€™re trying to tell me. Donā€™t mess with my source tab at all? Also what is the difference between the standard build button and Archive>Build?

Oh, I think I see what youā€™re getting at. Essentially, leave the .arc alone and then when making changes to my mod, only build the parts Iā€™m changing and not the part where my .arc is? Uh, that might work, if I could figure out in itself how just slapping the .arc in my resources would make my .dbrs usable, and how to link them to the right image sources.

Donā€™t worry about it at all, youā€™re not bothering me. And pictures help me immensely, so youā€™re all good on that front too.

1. Looks fine.

2. The misc folder youā€™re using makes a misc.arc file, which is what you have to reference in your .dbr file. See number 5.

3. This is the caravan_windowbackgoundimage.tex and itā€™s inverted, so chances are, itā€™s gonna be upside down in game. Youā€™ll have to flip the image with an editor before you use it.

• For whatever reason, the TexViewer.exe saves images inverted, which is a pain in my ass, let me assure you. Maybe Iā€™m not holding my mouth right when I save .tex files or Iā€™ve missed something over the yearsā€¦yeah, probably both :wink:
  1. The path should read misc/caravan_windowbackgoundimage.tex.
  • You have to make sure this file is in the misc folder though. Based on your picture, it is not. You have it directly under Resources, where you extracted the game files. This will give you number 6.
  1. Result of an incorrect path to your .tex files.

If you donā€™t edit any of the Hoarder .dbr fileā€™s tex paths to begin with, then things will be fine with their textures as they are looking for the Grim UI X-Mod.arc file.

No. The texture path is being edited in the .dbr file as stated below:

1 Like

Blockquote If you donā€™t edit any of the Hoarder .dbr fileā€™s tex paths to begin with, then things will be fine with their textures as they are looking for the Grim UI X-Mod.arc file.

In this case would it be simpler not to extract any files from the .arc at all? Should I do as @tt300 suggested and just put the .arc directly in my resources, and then just re-import the .dbrs with their original paths set? That way I wouldnā€™t have to worry about any image flipping right? With that my only issue is when building the mod, but apparently I can build selective parts instead of just the mod as a whole so perhaps it wouldnā€™t be quite as annoying as I would have thought after all?

Yes that is the mod I am working on. Iā€™ll check out your model, thanks.

Well you got it to work lmao. You know my own mod better than me apparently :rofl: :sweat_smile: I will try to copy the file format you show and see if I can get it to work for myself using yours as a guide. Also how do you get the text ā€œGrim Dusk v.1.81ā€ to show up on the Quest Log in-game? Thatā€™s a nice touch.

@tt300 Holy crap that finally got it to work. Thank you SO much. Having a direct example to work from helped a ton! Also of course thank you a ton as well @JMD for your assistance and letting me integrate your mod with mine. Once I release my mod with it I will give you full credit for it of course. Btw, one last little thing :upside_down_face: uh is there any way to remove the foreign text from the blank area of the inventory screen from before you get your first additional bag?

Not a huge deal if itā€™s not a simple fix, though in that case I would at least like to know what it means lol.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks. I copied yours directly initially cause I really wanted to make sure I did everything exactly the same as you lol.

Hereā€™s a lil gift for yaā€¦

$path = "C:\Path\To\Images\Folder\That\Needs\To\Be\Flipped" #target directory

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Drawing")
Get-ChildItem -recurse ($path) -include @("*.png", "*.jpg") |
ForEach-Object {
  $image = [System.Drawing.image]::FromFile( $_ )
  $image.rotateflip("Rotate180FlipNone")
  $image.save($_)
}

Modify the path on the first line to point at your target folder. On the 4th line is where you can add whatever file extensions you want flipped.

Now, paste the text into into a new .txt file and name it something witty and change the file extension to .ps1, like soā€¦

flip180.ps1

Now you got yerself a lil Powershell script. Right-click itā€¦

ā€¦to run it and watch it automagically flip everything 180 degrees at the destination.

ā€“

I unashamedly searched and stole this script for ya from:
https://code.adonline.id.au/rotate-or-flip-images-powershell/

SIDE NOTE: This doesnā€™t appear to work with .psd file extensions. Quoted from the above linked articleā€¦

PowerShell can batch rotate and/or flip images in the BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, TIFF and WMF formats.

2 Likes