SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

korvaak must have had a tropical vacation resort in ugdenbog marshes.

3 Likes

After playing loong time , ı just find this only two times. İs it that rare ?

Could be that it only occasionally spawns there. There’s also one in the Burial Cave in Burrwitch Outskirts which appears from time to time (not sure if that’s Korvaak or one of the other gods though). And of course there’s the permanent one at the Shrine of the Forgotten God.

1 Like

that one ?..ı think ı seen only one time …but I have seen other one under tunels of Burrwitch many thime thouh…

1 Like

Zantai said that Chthon and Yugol are not related in any way, but the final boss of the Shattered Realm is Ekket’Zal (rather Chthonian name, especially that there is Ekket’Zul, Progenitor of Darkness in Void’s Edge ), Harbringer of Yugol his race is listed as Ch’thonian and his model is just a darker version of one of the big Ch’thonians. Is he Yugol’s own creation and the developers just didn’t care about his model and race, or is he a Ch’thonian who serves Yugol?

I’d imagine, by nature, Chthonic beasts don’t have the option to choose; they blindly follow the Dying God. That being said, it’s possible that Yugol can possess these beasts?

1 Like

In my opinion it’s just about much different nature of Chthon and Yugol.
Yugol is more like antimatter or absolute zero where particles just don’t move.
Chthon is more like evil side of life or souls being corrupted with madness.

1 Like

maybe it’s just another ch’thonian demon possessed by yugol’s power of nonexistence. the void’s power influence many beings there with madness and cruelty. yugol’s influence is like endless hunger and feeling of emptyness that desires to be filled, so that ekketzal demon would have shown yugol-like trait instead of void-like trait.

if i use warhammer 40k analogue, it’ll be like a khorne warp demon being corrupted by tyrannid hive mind (dunno if its possible there though)

1 Like

The Shattered Realm is a reflection of Cairn’s reality. The shattered minibosses are likewise reflections of entities you’ve encountered, broken as the realm itself is.

5 Likes

It’s impossible, but I’m actually making that analogy too. Ch’thonians and Ch’thon are demons, forces of Hell or Chaos, essentially Satan and his forces: while Yugol and Tyranids are cosmic horror, Void and Lovecraftian monsters, Anti-God.

Hmm, it seemed to me that the Shaatered Realm was originally conceived as a world consumed by Yugol, given that we found notes there about people who turned away from their god.

However, I understand what you mean, but the bosses that are encountered in the Shattered Realm are the same bosses that we fought in the game itself. Nemesis, super bosses like Avatar and so on. Their names haven’t changed, their color scheme hasn’t changed. At the same time, Ekket’Zal has a unique name (albeit very similar to the other boss) and a unique color. It’s not the typical red and black, it’s a dark blue, the same as in the Sanctuary of Morgoneth, the color of the night, the color of Yugol. So, is it canon in terms of lore? Is he really the Harbringer of Yugol ? We were supposed to meet him in the addon, it was cut, but he was left as a boss in the Shattered Realm? Is his model and race just placeholders or is he actually a Ch’thonian who betrayed Ch’thon and defected to Yugol? Sorry for many questions, i realy love lore and everything related to Yugol :smiley:

Zantai has spoken before in this thread about Yugol.

2 Likes

I know I read it. My question is not the difference between them, but why Yugol has a powerful Ch’thonian in it service

1 Like

maybe its just like this:
the taken destroys ekketzul>ekketzul cease to exist>ekketzal appear as manifestation of ekketzul’s nothingness>the taken killed/banish/existify? ekketzal>???

now i’m confused.

what actually happens to any yugol-affiliated entities when they’re killed/destroyed? do they get tied to the concept of existence again and then get sent to realm of the dead/banished from material realm to elsewhere?

2 Likes

Speaking of which, are the Celestial totem monsters (dark blue creatures with tentacles) servants or shards of Yugol? They are called the embodiment of hunger or something like that and summon tentacles from underground. Their name, title, and color scheme allude to a connection to Yugol. Also they dropped Nightshard

they’re probably both servants and shards of yugol. what with their theme of endless hunger for seeking nothingness and be 1 with yugol.

also, i want to point out that many of yugol’s theme revolve around cold and acid damage. the cold theme might symbolize the wish to fully embrace the blackness/emptyness of night/space/entropy, while the acid theme might symbolize the corrosive nature of evaporization/cleansing of matters with janitor’s chemical cleaning supplies. cleanliness is the absence of dirt or messy stuff anyway (celestials be mad at their mess being called… messy…)

yugol: empty your thoughts and senses… cleanse yourself from the mess that is existence!!! mop people’s faces with corrosively clean moptacles enhanced with +0 nihilism

1 Like

Ah, never mind. In the Sanctuary of Morgoneth, all creatures are Celestials and have the Yugol color scheme. Clearly the Celestials are creatures associated with Yugol, just as the Chthonians are associated with Ch’thon and the Eldritch are associated with Korvaak. Although it’s a little strange that gods and divine beings (Mogdrogden and Ravager) have the same type of creatures as Yugol’s servants

yugol is also classified as primordial celestial. though yugol is more alien to the other celestials due to it coming from the darkness of the furthest reaches of empyrion and other celestials’ starlights, and it being more of a concept of nothingness and entropy rather than a living being like other celestials.

which is why it make sense that yugol corrupt other celestial’s servant into its own. since yugol came from nothingness and is nothingness itself, it make sense that yugol just steal other celestials’ creations and turn them into more conduits of nothingness that i suspect will snuff itself and fellow yugol creatures to nothing once they’ve devoured all celestials’ stuff.

it can also be said that yugol’s cult is the cult of mass suicide. morgoneth’s lore notes imply that he’s so desperate to do everything to connect with any shred of consciousness of his korvan moon deity/celestial/ascendant, yet receive nothing at all, instead stumbling into yugol by accident. thus corrupting him and his fellow ring-bearers to embrace yugol’s eternal night since its clear to them that their patron moon deity is gone from existence (probably due to war of the gods with the ch’thonians, and korvaak keeping secret about the celestials’ losing the war to keep morale high).

draellus/dreeg in the vision of terror lore note seems to treat yugol as a natural force of the universe rather than a fearsome celestial being like chthon. he implies there that humans must seize the powers of the celestials for themselves (thus turning many humans into ascendants) so that humans can become stars that shone brighter than even the brightest desert sun (yeah, he wants korvaak to retire/abdicate) to slow down yugol’s ever encroaching entropy death of the grimverse.

grimverse is a dirty grimy mess. and yugol just want to clean up stuff. might as well rename grim dawn into dirty dawn to avoid yugol replacing the title with ‘clean dawn’

1 Like

5 Likes

Quick question about the undead (Uroboruuks Curse, etc.):

If they cannot really kill themselves (lore notes describe plenty of attempts), how come the player can?
Or doesn`t he/she?
If so: What happens to those skeletons I just Doom-bolted? Will they sorta return as spirits after some time? But I also doom-bolt spirits. What happens to them?

1 Like