Starting a new village is very time consuming by finding the right map

Even with the new idyllic valley it takes quite a lot of reloads, and far more with Lowland lakes.
I often get one where Coal is completly missing or too many sand but no clay or the other way round etc.

For my current village it took me about 1 hour to get a balanced one, which is very tideous, because you have to start the whole thing again and again.

I hope this can be optimized. Is this and also fruits and willow,… depending of the SEEDS source number ?

3 Likes

Yep, been rerolling maps for about 3 hours to find a good one that has it all and in good quantities.

I keep iterating on the suggestion to add an info panel when putting a RNG seed before actually creating a new map,
to see how much resources are available on that seed/map.
That would set the game apart from most of the town builder games, as well.

1 Like

Usually it takes me 30 - 40 minutes to find a good map. Idyllic Valley isn’t as good as it may seem, many times I get a map with huge mountains, hills, slopes, etc. near the center of the map, not to mention the abundance of resources.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been trying hard maps and I always get maps that have plenty of fertility and minerals. I want my suffering right now! Maps are too easy!

3 Likes

There are a lot of people here who would call this ‘a challenge’, but what they fail to realize is that its sucker’s bet they are willing to waste time on.

Unplayable maps are a complete waste of time.

There is absolutely no way a player can compete against the AI with that kind of handicap to start off with.

People need to stop pretending that taking the other player’s queen off the board before the game starts is not ‘a challenge’.

1 Like

Can you share what you consider an unplayable map?

Having just hit 1000 population on a Vanquisher map with no clay, no herbs, no medicinal roots, no willow, and low ground fertility, I am genuinely wondering what an unplayable one is. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

What are you looking for in the initially explored area that makes you go nope and reroll? Do you need to see Every resource in the game in that area?

Honestly I’m not sure we’d ever create a map rule that causes such a tight distribution consistently. Resources are spread out across the entire map, not just the small area that is initially revealed.

5 Likes

You’re playing Arid with plenty of fertility?

At this point the only common denominator with Celebrindan and “unplayable maps” is Celebrindan. I’ve seen them specifically state that they want all resources within the starting area, guaranteed, and generally a fair amount of it, too.

3 Likes

Well, that actually is kind of subjective.

The random map rolls is part of the game, trying to build a town on any map.

The problem is that most of us are looking for a map to fit our preconceived town design instead of accepting the challenge and building a town that fits the map.

So it is more a matter of perception than an actual problem. Or maybe better a matter of personal design, rather than accepting the challenge of the game

8 Likes

pics, or it never happened

App to scout maps more faster - https://github.com/mikh-abc/ff-game-map/releases/download/1.0.0/ff-game-map.zip

Uh…sure?

Not sure how to provide screenshots evidence…I guess here’s my professions tab showing how I didn’t bother with certain jobs since I don’t have the necessary resources?

Town’s making a ridiculous amount of money even before trading my excess resources, so it’s not exactly lacking with regular trade for the things I’m missing.

5 Likes

I mean… we can just make a good seed list on the forum, don’t we?

1 Like

There is one.

Special map seeds for players

’Crate Employee - Designer’
Yeah.
Give me a break.
Like, you’re just an average player.
Cognitive dissonance isn’t the flex you think it is.

Except BS, I am not the one who started this thread.
So, take your whining elsewhere.

As if you are? The entitlement.

I never said you started this thread. You were the first person to mention unplayable maps in this thread. You have also specifically demanded maps where all resources are available and in easy reach.

Where did I whine?

2 Likes

Are you sure the issue here isn’t that it is you that is not an average player?

It seems reasonable that you’d need to be pretty good at the game to succeed on the hardest settings with the least favorable conditions. Maybe you’re struggling to accept that some maps and modes should be impossible for some skill levels? If any player could just succeed on any setting and every map then it would be very boring for the good players that want a real challenge.

I think an issue the devs maybe should look into is that the rng of the map can sometimes have more impact on the experienced difficulty than the setting sliders do. Maybe instead of starting resources that option should control map resources.

1 Like

Read the name of the thread, BS.
You think the OP’s time is being consumed passing over what they consider ‘playable maps’?
Fatuous is not a virtue.