The Saga of the Aura MP Kill Bug

It’s not every day you get to claim to have squashed a four year old obscure bug, but today just may be one of those days.

The infamous MP Aura Kill Bug, an issue that has plagued us since Grim Dawn inherited Titan Quest’s code base many years ago, has been dealt a crippling blow this day.

The reason why we were finally able to ping this nefarious bug down? Ironically, it was due to a change we made for v1.1.5.0 intended to make some back-end item calculations more predictable. In essence, this change also had the side-effect of making the Aura desync bug occur considerably more reliably, which in turn allowed us to finally generate an internal repro.

Once we had a repro…well, the rest is history. We are now in the final stages of testing the fix, but we are confident hopeful certain expecting the imminent v1.1.5.1 hotfix to bring an end to this frustrating bug once and for all.

yes

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused with the release of v1.1.5.0 and how it marred an otherwise amazing update. As always, we are committed to addressing issues if they come up, and the silver lining here is that v1.1.5.0 finally allowed us to pin it down!

If for any reason the issue does persist after the hotfix is live, please do report it as a new bug.

We’ll see you all on the other side of v1.1.5.1!

29 Likes

Petition to make the aura bug a secret boss in the game.

10 Likes

Perseverance. NICE! Well done and congrats.

Hot damn! That’s awesome! Just out of curiousity, what was happening under the hood to make the auras do this?

With abilities to cast a 10m radius seal on the ground that takes chunks of life like aether ground in Conflagration, etc. as well as an ability to summon those Port Valbury aether tornado things. :crazy_face:

Great work guys! Glad you were finally able to pin it down. This bug never happened to me but I heard stories. Soon these stories will be legends.

You have a sick mind. :fearful:

1 Like

Congratulations! Has anyone ever seen this bug in Titan Quest? I would hate to run into this.

I was going to include a slow debuff and shoot those purple nullify projectiles, but then they’d have me committed.

You mean Crate would hire you? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You need to stop putting ideas in certain peoples heads. Stop it. Go look for Elsa and quit trying to get the rest of us killed. :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome as always, Crate :+1:

Thanks for the quick fix.

You’re putting some AAA studios to shame here :smiley:

1 Like

Great job in fixing this longstanding bug! :+1:

I’m not gonna lie. I was very worried about this bug. I was afraid that it would tarnish the reputation of the game if it wasn’t fixed ASAP, and the fact that it has been there for years raised my concerns. I don’t care about MP but a lot of people do, so it’s a relief knowing that it’s finally gone in the next fix.

What a time to be alive!

you cant just killed an ancient enemy and make him forgotten. You need to keep this legend of a beast somewhere in the game to keep us all reminded of the nefarious past.

1 Like

I would really like to learn what was the technical reason that thing was happening
I recall sometimes when i was even equipping a character with specific items after inspecting someone i would get a huge thunderbolt and dead xD

Triple AAA Game now even got an Extra A

If only we can fix the map bug now.

The square map bug doesn’t kill players. :upside_down_face:

If bug will be totally fixed, could we expect that component buffs will revert back to auras like it was before Grim Dawn Version v1.0.0.8