[Tool] Rainbow Filter (Item Highlighting)

Yep, checking defaults is close to pointless, even if somebody has it in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam using a different language in windows is already going to make it fail. I haven’t used the German Windows in over a decade but I recall it being something like Programme (x86), so unless Windows just knows it’s supposed to be the same thing, it’s not going to work. :frowning:

I’m going to use the CLI to get everything, that should cover the vast majority of cases:

1. Check common path for Steam (even if it fails)
  2. Check registry for Steam (might trigger AV though)
  3. Steam found! - Great, check the directory for “Grim Dawn.exe”
  4. Grim Dawn could not be found, check steamapps/libraryfolders.vdf for alternative SteamLibraries
  5. Check those Libraries for Grim Dawn.exe
  6. If, however, Steam could not be found, search all of C: for Grim Dawn (takes a bit, so it’s the last option for GOG cases)

Sorry to hear that :frowning: but glad it’s worth it to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rainbow Tool updated to v0.5.0

Tool updates itself, if you don’t have the tool yet, you can find the link in the First Post or on GitHub.

Show Change Log v0.5.0 - GD Launch Options & Predictive Set-Up
  • New: Functionality added for more Grim Dawn launching options. (Thanks for the information powbam)
    • You will no longer get a pop-up when using the 64-bit launch option.
    • It is now possible to set which Grim Dawn Expansion to load. (you will only see the ones installed)
    • It is now possible to force DirectX9.
  • New: A new button was added that will allow Rainbow Tool to predict and set certain options.
    • Steam & Grim Dawn paths.
    • Whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit (based on the location of your installations)
    • Whether you are using a different language (this will enable Localization when you have one downloaded)
    • Sets selector to latest installed Grim Dawn Expansion.
  • New: Various improvements to Localization support.
    • Simplified first time set-up due to the new prediction button. (this will set the first found zip as your selected localization)
    • If an error has occurred because of a missing Localization, the tool will now fetch a new one or disable Localization if no language could be found.
    • Various new texts to help understand what is going on.
  • Updated: An empty path for Grim Dawn Directory would say it is wrong, it now tells you to enter a path or to use the new prediction button.
  • Updated: App Icon - still the product of less than 5min in Krita, but an upgrade to the abomination from before.
  • BugFix: Rainbow Tool was not being minimized to tray when Grim Dawn was launched.

Note: Change log can also be found on GitHub and inside the tool.

2 Likes

@WareBare - Looking good. Tested out all the launch settings and everything appears to be working like it’s supposed to be :+1:

1 Like

No update needed for 1.1.6.2?

Correct.
No changes to any texts with GD 1.1.6.2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I use the tool with the Russian language?

Yes, there is a little help on how to do it in the first post under 2. Installation inside Picture Guide. Screenshots are from an older version, so its appearance is a little different. Functionality is the same, though.

I opened up my grim dawn files under the steam and steam apps and grim dawn folder location but there was no mods folder so I created a new folder called mods. I downloaded the rainbow mod and unzipped it in to this mods folder I created but then went on a custom gamer and a vanilla game but made no difference? I end up with a zip file named grim dawn. /Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/ . These files are responsible for changing the colours of Items and Properties in the game but make no difference?
please help me

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Because it doesn’t go in there. Rainbow Filter is a tool, not a mod. Please follow the instructions given in the OP.

"Make sure Grim Dawn is closed, because it can prevent the tool from accessing important files and causes all kinds of weirdness inside the tool.
If you are having issues following along, you may take a look at the pictures in Picture Guide: "How To Use the Tool"

1. Download Setup.exe for the tool from the download section at the end.
  2. Install the tool by running Setup.exe, it should run the tool when finished, if this is not the case, you should find a shortcut on your desktop. ( Note: You can uninstall the tool via windows’ app remove, like most other software)
  3. Go to Settings and enter the path to your Grim Dawn directory with the Game.exe inside.
  • Note: If you are using a different language you must check Localization, which will show you a new box with all installed languages, select the one you are using and move on to the next step. (Selected language is visible in green)
  1. A new menu on the left should become visible, go to Library.
  2. Inside the library you may select a different Preset, the default is Full Rainbow, if you are happy with it use the button Save Colors to save it.
  3. Start Grim Dawn. (if it was still running despite the warning, restart the game)
  • Note: If you are using a different language select the colored version in the game’s options the same way you selected your language.

When the files require an update just run the tool and start at step 5.
The tool will download any update to it on its own, you will only have to download Setup.exe once, unless there is an issue with the Auto-Updater of the tool."

Hello, can someone help me provide another link for WanezGD_Tools-Setup-0.5.0.exe because I keep failed to download, either the download speed is very slow (like 10kbps) or it just won’t download. I have check my own connection and tested, it’s fine and stable. Changing connection doesn’t change anything. Somehow my issue only with this github download.

Hmm… worked fine here. Possibly an antivirus or Windows setting or even the browser you are using is blocking you? Or you are in a country that has something against Github perhaps?

Anyway, you can try this here and see if it works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqcmthfta940wh1/WanezGD_Tools-Setup-0.5.0.exe?dl=0
If it doesn’t then you need to begin considering what is actually preventing you from accessing it.

1 Like

Thank you for the link! Now I can download it just fine.

Hello

I just started playing and I was recommended to install this as it seems to be helpful to learn game mechanics, however I cannot get it to work at all, the filter doesn’t ever show up in my game under languages. I have tried manually installing it by copying the files and also using the program and nothing seems to work. Is there any troubleshooting I can try, the game just doesn’t seem to read the language and the only one I can select is US English.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the obvious question.

You can only select a filter under languages if you’re using a different language. Regular English texts will just get replaced by the colored texts when the game is loading its assets.

If texts are unchanged in-game you can try the alternate location, for some users the game’s installation directory doesn’t work and the game only loads the settings folder inside their User Data directory.

Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

Thank you, I didn’t realise that it would just replace the existing texts, it’s working great now. Thank you for your help again, and sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Is there a chance we can get a file for [MOD] Diablo 3 Classes: Patch 3.2 Released?

You can do that with this utility - [Ressource] GrimLoot - Collection of loot VFX and SFX

Not sure what Steam has to do with it. Using various tools and mods in GD works the same with the Steam version as it does with the GOG version. Mods and tools are community made and there is rarely ever going to be a “one thing does it all” solution. Rainbow Filter is about Item Highlighting - as its title denotes - so I don’t see why it would be expected for it to be meddling with sound files.

Sadly this is so with many such tools for GD and its primarily because of the way SteamCloud works. It can cause issues with your saves when a game needs to sync things up and down from the cloud and you are putting your saves at risk of corruption during such moments. This is why it is frequently recommended to cut Steam Cloud out of the picture when using most 3rd party tools. With local saving it is simply just safer in every way to not have that potential issue in play at all.

It is, however, extremely easy to move your saves in and out of the cloud at will for GD once you know how to do it. I’ve done it many times with no issue.

You’re referring to loot filters, most of which are third party tools. You still need to setup the filter, put it the filter file in the gamer folder, download the sound files and associate them with certain loot drops. For GrimLoot you put the sound files in a specific game folder and set the flags in GI. Couldn’t be any easier. Sadly though it seems you can’t use just any old file. My Client Eastwood “Go ahead, make my day” or Samuel L Jackson “English MF, do you speak it !” don’t work in GD. They sound like chipmunks.

Disclaimer: I run the GOG version, which is local, so I admit it’s a little easier to use a ton of 3rd party tools. Another reason to avoid steam …