What does the different coloring on damage numbers mean?

I’m playing with a Lightning Savagery Druid and i have reached some really high damage numbers on crits against enemies on Elite. I often see the numbers being colored differently when i hit with a crit. What does that mean? Is it some kinda threshold indicating that i’m overkilling enemies too hard? Or is it some other indicator that i’m not aware of (like an enemy being more vulnerable to my damage type)?

Different tiers of Crits. More here:

1. https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat/#q03

2. https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat/#q20

3. Critical Hit / Resistance Calculators - DPS multipliers

2 Likes

So, the colors are just an indicator of these crit thresholds. I used the crit calculator and it indicates that i can reach the second tier of crits around 6.57% of the time (calculated against the DA of a level 84 Architect of Flesh). The difference between my OA and his DA is over 800. Getting higher tier crits seem incredibly difficult but it shouldn’t be something to strive for as i’m already overkilling stuff pretty hard. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s more about Crit Chance / Crit Damage, because the second is added to Crits of all tiers.
But in this game Crits are not OP like in D3 for example in 99% of cases although in case of Druid it’s fine as
this class has a lot of Crit Damage + it needs some crit chance to proc devotions such as Ultos.
Still some things are more important like resistance reductions or just plain %damage
if your OA is high enough already to somewhat Crit enemies and proc devotions.

Although this Druid stack a lot of OA because it focuses on Upheaval and procs it multiple times with Passthrough

1 Like

Should point out though that it’s very easy for pets to push OA values of 4-5k or more due to pet +% OA being common so they often do see crits even in the higher tiers sometimes.

2 Likes

My build is going to be very different. It’s a 2H Melee build that uses the Arbiter Relic to play like a CD Forcewave build using Gavel of Justice (high elemental damage, long range, short cooldown, damage reduction). My end game targets are the Mythical Stormreaver and the Stormserpent set (for the RR proc). I needed to make several adjustments to it as this was one of my first characters and it was a complete mess before i decided to look for more information about game mechanics. Here is the Grim Tools link.

1 Like