"Purple is my favourite colour!" ISKANDRA Mage Hunter (Crucible 7:30, MQ 8s)

DISCLAIMER
This is the first time ever, when I post a build on these forums, so, please, don’t be shy and bash the shit out of it.

And yes, purple is indeed my favourite colour. Which is probably the most significant reason why I thought I would give it a try.

INTRO
It is quite well known, that since rework Iskandra’s set was a very controversial topic and more often than not regarded as “underperforming” by many users:

I thought so too and even whined in dedicated threads about it. But since I mostly play Magehunter, I thought: “I always wanted to run a Druid with TSS set. But I’m too lazy. Now, this is clearly basically a TSS set for Magehunter or Sorcerer, so why not give it a try?”

The general thought process:
Iskandra is a damage oriented set with average damage, close to zero AoE and zero sustain.
BUT it has a nice built-in 75% aether-to-elem conversion.

• Crates buffed Arcane Currents devotion recently and now it is super-good, especially if you can convert elem or aether.
  • Phoenix has aether and fire damage - lets take it too.
  • Sage - decent for elem build. Check.
  • Now I need sustain: Reign of Ice and Fire rings will suit nicely with its recently buffed procs.
  • And probably some % weapon damage component for additional lifesteal. Seal of Destruction or Skies suits the build the most, having a good %WD and EPIC proc chance of Arcane Currents, though, Seal of Night might do as well (see appendix).

That’s already something, right?
And here’s what I’ve got after a few hours of testing:
GRIMTOOLS

Feel free to remove 40 points from spirit and put them into physique. The build doesn’t have any mana problems whatsoever - I just love spirit and put it into all my builds.

PROS

• Built-in powerful aether-to-elem conversion opens up options for some incredibly stronk aether-elem devotions like Attak Seru. Which partially solves the lack of sustain damage and AoE.
  • Buffed Reign of Ice and Fire rings provide somewhat decent sustain.
  • Seal of Skies or Seal of Destruction procs Arcane Currents really fast and also helps a little with sustain.
  • Well, as per expected from TSS build – SPIKE DAMAGE. 400k crits are quite common in Crucible. 15% CDR reset serves as a “double crit”, and easily blows up to 1.5-2M of boss hp. And thanks to the respectable amount of native offensive ability from partial Eastern set, the crit chance is really massive.
  • Surprisingly for an arcanist set, Iskandra has relatively decent protection, featuring 15% Phys resistance, 50% Slow resistance and quite respectable amount of resistances.

CONS

• Well, the build still lacks AoE, despite having Sage and Attack Seru. TSS just being TSS, bois. And this is the most significant of its disadvantages, IMO.
  • Despite playing an elem build, and not having to worry much about resistances, the lack RR is probably the second most significant disadvantage of this build. Native 15% from the book is nice, but not enough. Elem Storm and Aura of Censure helps, but book’s RR could have been 25% at least.
  • Aura of Censure - I couldn’t decide where to put it, as it’s both the blessing and the curse. It’s just too good to skip, as it provides so desperately needed RR and enemy damage reduction. But at the same time, it block us from taking the ungodly Star Pact.
  • Sustain is oka-ish with rings and %WD from component, but could have been better, of course.
  • As expected from Arcanist, build kinda lacks defensive ability and health. You can face-tank most of the combos in cruci, but expect to kite a little bit when 2 Reapers and Fabius come to join the party.

VIDEOS

1. MAD QUEEN 8s
  2. CRUCIBLE 7:28, (4 buffs, 1 banner)

Which is quite comparable to Dmt’s TSS/Cataclysm Druid, displaying 7:09 time pre-Cataclysm nerf.
Also, I’m a relatively new to piloting Crucible solo, so I’m pretty sure, that 7:28 is not the best time one can achieve with this Iskandra build.

CONCLUSIONS

• While certainly Iskandra rework could have been a little more interesting, than yet another TSS set – it’s not as horrible and useless, as people think. In fact, it’s quite comparable to the Druid’s TSS set in clear time and survivability.
  • On a Sorcerer with Star Pact and Thermites it will likely achieve even better clear times (while probably being a bit more squishy, though).
  • Any real complaints should be directed towards Trozan’s Sky Shard skill itself, and not the sets, that support it. Despite all the recent buffs, the skill is in quite poor condition, relatively to other nukes (e.g. Devastation, kek)

Well, that’s it. Thanks for reading. And, as was mentioned earlier, bashing is welcomed. Choke me harder, daddy :smiley:

APPENDIX (EDIT)

After even more testing, both Seal of Destruction and Skies appeared to be similar in performance. Whele both are slightly superior to the Seal of Night.
Despite SoN having more dps on its own (only in melee range), SoD and SoS result in overall similar damage output (probably due to more useful stats), while having vastly superior Area of Effect. And, since Spikes miss quite often, SoD also provides more %WD overall and, in the end, more lifesteal sustain.

+1 for TSS;)
Good build

Nice build, suprised it’s survivability.

btw Iskadra still weak ( really like your build, it’s performance much better I imagine, but still weak)

ps did you try iskandra’s relic? It provides really huge dmg. Try if you didn’t it before.

Nice build.

I hope they make conversions better. Cold should totally be 100% fire for some nice DoT Tss

Well done.

It’s nice to see an Iskandra build work out, but I wonder how much strength comes from the set itself and how much comes from the very damage-oriented devotion setup; relying heavily on procs or Wind Devils for damage seems pretty common in TSS builds. I tested an identical itemization setup (save for the relic) and, as previously said, found that it played like a wonkier Trozan’s.

What I mean to say by that is: how good can Iskandra be without Seekers (which I’d used) and Arcane Currents (which I hadn’t tried yet) - the very same setup used by other proc-fiesta conversion builds, with comparable results? We already know those can work spectacularly. How well can Iskandra work on its own?

Music to my ears, coming from the original TSS master. Thanks!

John_Smith и Superfluff, вам отдельное спасибо за фидбек :slight_smile:

I was only thinking about it, but eventually prefered Eternity for its active CDR. Will definitely try Iskandra too, expect updates this evening.

Well, there’s a ton of improvements Iskandra set could use. You, guys, obviously right about it. Better conversion is just one of them.
But I’d rather prefer some form of sustain (like the old %absorb proc, but the boi can dream, right? :D). And/or AoE, probably.

EDIT

That’s a very good question. I was havingan impression, that Arcane Currents provide at least 30% of the overall dps. Thiscontellation is seriously beastly, if one can convert elem or aether.

My guess is that Iskandra’s set isprobably slightly tankier than Trozan’s set and having similar or slightly less dps on its own. It’s hard to compare directly, since I don’t have Druid.

This your first build posted?You have talent.I personally don’t like that Iskandra is TSS set,but you make interesting version and doing 3x runs in Crucible buff duration is always proof of quality:)

I feel the same way. I was expecting an elementl AAR (With% WD) rather than TSS.

btw, cheers to OP.:wink:
I imagined Fire DoT, but I don’t have time to do it now.

I had slapped together some quick and likely crappy kiting dot caster ->
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9kA1WN

only 4/5 Iskandra for conduit. Since I suck at theorycrafting I expect it to perform poorly :wink:

Nice build. I didn’t have many hopes in this Set but apparently, it can be salvaged.

Question on the side: how can you type both in English and Russian ? you have a multi-language keyboard ?

Cons: many buttons to push, double green boots

Guess you can make it work, but I still prefer Trozan’s. I’m not surprised that the power comes from the conversion and not TSS. It’s my favorite mechanic.

It’s not that hard to craft a double green boots, especially when Dranghoul can be replaced with nearly any other defensive suffix. Not even necessarily green.

Regarding many buttons: I do not consider it “cons” by any means. I like pressing buttons.
I played 2 button Dagallon Purifier some time ago, and it bored me to death. To the point, where I literally fell asleep a couple of times with face into keyboard :rolleyes:

DA, COMRADE :smiley:

Every keyboard in Russia have both English and Russian letters

I am from another country with Cyrillic alphabet and also have dual language keyboard.Actually all the keyboards I ever seen are:D
Невероятно,нали?

Wonderfully done. I’ve been meaning to get around to the new iskandra set myself but life seems hellbent on keeping me away from GD.

Have you tried Ignafarr’s combustion relic?

Can’t see devotions as I’m on my phone -
Will edit this post later.

On a tangential note - If improving clear times is something
You’re interested in, check out my crucible guide.

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

That is a plus in my book.

Thanks a lot, man! I’ll definitely check the guide :wink:

Just tested both Iskandra’s relic, as John_Smith suggested, and Ignaffar’s Combustion.

Iskandra shows slightly better training dummy time of all three relics - 16-18 seconds per kill, while both Eternity and Ignaffar are quite similar and show 17-19 seconds per kill.

But I still think Eternity is slightly better due to having DA and general utility in the form of active CDR.

Cool that the set can work out. Would changing devotion bindings around help? Rune of Hag is not bound to anything but is quite a good to proc ele storm or something else, then change storm box to trigger aether currents and put WoP on seekers?

Edit: also druid could reach 100% conversion with star pact. CDR would increase dps too. Is that another option or it will be weaker than Mage Hunter?