This is my first real melee build post
I don’t really play melee. Part of it is because I generally like casters more (tho in GD I like ranged just as much) and another part is because I played with a shit laptop for a very long time that melee is almost impossible in cruci due to my inability to pick up individual targets - something that I still struggle with until the present time.
Pierce Cadence Blademaster isn’t exactly a new concept. This has existed since the earliest days of Grim Dawn, but it’s not exactly the most popular build even among pierce builds since Belgo exists. I wanted to play melee but I don’t exactly like charging Lethal Assault (cold/acid) and Belgo is like, overused. Safarel inspired me to make this build with his Pierce Cadence Tactician: strong, tanky and it doesn’t require charging other skills just for buffs so it’s kinda perfect for me. Gave it my own spin on a blademaster and here we are.
I’VE BEEN TOO LAZY TO EDIT EVERYTHING. THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS ARE THE GRIMTOOLS LINKS AND THE VIDEO. SOME STUFF WRITTEN IN EXPLANATIONS AREN’T UPDATED SO IF YOU NEED SOMETHING EXPLAINED JUST ASK. I, AND A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE BUILD (AND ARE MORE POLITE THAN ME) CAN ANSWER
Char sheet with all permanent buffs and deadly momentum
GRIMTOOLS > Updated 220.127.116.11 Version
Old 18.104.22.168 version/font color>[GRIMTOOLS](https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1mdKMV) - Offensive version with belgo relic and double skull.
Offensive version with belgo relic easily clears below 6 mins. Video (on gameplay section) with 5:53 clear was my only recorded run, but I can feel it can still do a lot more. You can die with it but consistency is like 85-90%. If you want a 100% clear rate char use the defensive version courtesy of @mad_lee (tho I did some modifications from what he gave me) but it’s gonna be slower, still a solid 6:30 average farmer with the defensive version. Pick your poison.
GRIMTOOLS - Defensive version with diamond and serenity. Use if you play while sleeping and don’t wanna die even if you just stand there. Still a solid 6:30 farmer that doesn’t die. Credits to @mad_lee for this one.
- Swords - Usual swords for pierce cadence. Won’t max out your Pierce Ratio but there’s no better weapon, and it enables us to add RoS as secondary attack too which is neat.
- Realm Set - I feel like this is flavor of the patch for non set builds nowadays. The build enabler is the weapon so everything is very customizable. Realm set just sets up our defense quite nicely, enabling the build to have more offensive options in other slots. Also, other options for pierce aside from Belgo suck, and if we go Belgo armor, we might as well go full set with the AA.
Honestly this is Safarel’s devotion setup which inspired me to make the build since I like Oleron proc. I just removed Living Shadow cause it makes big bosses like Reaper run to the other side of the arena at the start of the wave which loses time. I tried Blades of Wrath setup but it was just the same performance. Oleron setup has the advantage of not having the possibility of unlucky MQ shotguns when Blades of Wrath activates (tho that never happened to me). No Ghoul cause you don’t need itOleron route with pierce is dead. We no use standard pierce route.
- WPS layout - That’s 97% WPS with Direwolf, and WPS kinda accelerates Cadence charging - all the WPS hit with both hands with count as 2 hits for Cadence charging, which means we need 2 hits instead of 3 to charge Cadence 97% of the time (or whatever the math says ). AQC and Zolhan are not taken cause they’re the two least useful of the bunch (no DA shred, ZT hits with 1 hand IIRC and AQC just deals no damage compared to the others). Also more than 100% WPS makes the good WPS weak cause less chances to proc.
- Greens? - I know I usually post builds with greens but the non green setup performs the same on average. Also my best run is with non-green. Dunno if it’s just me sucking with melee cause other melee builds perform significantly better with greens (see Superfluff’s belgo and ya’s venomblade). If you do decide to take greens then pants, boots, green ring are the most replaceable ones. Take greens with a shitton of cunning bonuses for damage.
Cruci Performance and Video
Improved the build by removing Ghoul and relying on Scales for sustain, both in health and energy. The previous version from 22.214.171.124 felt the nerfs a lot and is now an inconsistent 6:30 build. This current version facetanks everything (well, almost. I never full facetank MQ on any melee build) and still clears in 6 mins average.
6:00 clear, which is a bit above average. I did some sub 6 (5:50ish) runs but I won’t upload any more of them cause my internet is shit. Notice that I never had any trouble tanking everything. I always dodge Dravis RE tho, but I do that no matter what play.
Offensive version with belgo relic easily clears below 6 mins. Video above with 5:53 clear was my only recorded run, but I can feel it can still do a lot more. You can die with it but consistency is like 85-90%. If you want a 100% clear rate char use the defensive version courtesy of @mad_lee (tho I did some modifications from what he gave me) but it’s gonna be slower, still a solid 6:30 average farmer with the defensive version. Pick your poison.
Cruci cleartime is kinda inconsistent from less than 6 mins to around 6:40. What’s sure is that on my part I never go above 7. My best run is 5:42, which is shown in the vid. Green builds might have more potential for speedclearing but I haven’t been able to replicate it (my fastest with green cunning dump pants and boots is 5:56). I’m still not confident at my melee piloting skills so maybe the timer can be more consistent or faster.
This build is very safe for cruci farming even without ghoul. Realm set and being a soldier gives so much defense. Out of the 20 or so runs I did with different variants I only died like twice (or was it thrice?).
- Dummy Killtime - Only tried once, it’s around 20s
- Realms - I don’t like realms. I did have some spare realm sets back when I played it last patch tho. There’s a shitton of them drops before it was moved to vendors so it wasn’t a problem finding good rolled parts.
Thanks to @Safarel for the Tactician build, @Superfluff and @mad_lee for previous pierce builds I used as reference to making this build. @Zantai for the game balance and to the community that came from numerous other ARPG’s for endlessly suggesting an endless mode, if not for you realms and realm set won’t be possible , and of course to you who are reading this. Thanks for reading!